Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rutgers basketball coach fired for kicking and abusing players « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#15 : April 04, 2013, 09:14:06 PM

All this idiotic hand wringing and rationalizing. Blah blah blah the internet this, kids swearing and video games, stupidity. If there's any PC talk in this conversation, that would be it. 

Let's get back to basics, here. If this coach did what he did to someone on the street  he would be subject to arrest for assault. Can it be anymore clearer than that. 

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 04, 2013, 09:26:52 PM

Both of those racist coaches need their ass kicked!!

Seriously, it's pretty clear that the players weren't "Rutger Men"...  ;D :-*
: April 04, 2013, 09:35:54 PM TheChronicHotAir

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 04, 2013, 10:01:21 PM

All this idiotic hand wringing and rationalizing. Blah blah blah the internet this, kids swearing and video games, stupidity. If there's any PC talk in this conversation, that would be it. 

Let's get back to basics, here. If this coach did what he did to someone on the street  he would be subject to arrest for assault. Can it be anymore clearer than that.

I'm the least PC person on these boards, nice try though. I'm just not willing to look at a situation that in the grand scheme of things means very little, and ignore the fact that if this exact scenario were presented in a movie people would laugh their ass off. In America when it's "entertainment", it's accepted by the masses. I have no doubt that some of the most well known and respected coaches of all time, in every sport and at every level, have used tactics very similar to this and often times much worse. I'm not personally offended by what's considered entertainment these days, I'm just pointing out that its awfully difficult to judge this guy when billion dollar corporations expose kids to much worse on a daily basis.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#18 : April 05, 2013, 06:49:53 AM

All of those actions would have been ignored if he didn't say f*gg*t. That's the kiss of death in pro-gay America.
ask Bobby Knight and Jim Leavitt about that.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 05, 2013, 08:41:01 AM

All of those actions would have been ignored if he didn't say f*gg*t. That's the kiss of death in pro-gay America.

Sayin it to 10 year old kids in a basketball camp, should be the kiss of death in any kind of America.

Kids today aren't exactly angels when it comes to the vocabulary they use. I have several friends who are elementary school teachers, and another who's a school psychologist for Hillsborough county. The things young kids do/say these days would surprise a lot of people. I'm not saying that gives Rice the right to use any language he chooses, but it's a little hard to feel bad when kids themselves use the language on a daily basis.

In other words adults should act like kids when kids act like kids Are you serious about the statement you made?

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#20 : April 05, 2013, 08:51:52 AM

No it can't be anymore clearer. The students didn't/wouldn't say anything because their scholarships are on the line. They know if they **** off their school, they'll be going home with nothing. This is also the second recent case where school administrators did nothing about reports of aduse until the media got involved (Penn State). It amazes me that people ignore that issue as well.

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 05, 2013, 08:55:25 AM

I'm the least PC person on these boards, nice try though. I'm just not willing to look at a situation that in the grand scheme of things means very little, and ignore the fact that if this exact scenario were presented in a movie people would laugh their ass off. In America when it's "entertainment", it's accepted by the masses. I have no doubt that some of the most well known and respected coaches of all time, in every sport and at every level, have used tactics very similar to this and often times much worse. I'm not personally offended by what's considered entertainment these days, I'm just pointing out that its awfully difficult to judge this guy when billion dollar corporations expose kids to much worse on a daily basis.

Do you really have any idea how you sound in this thread? Using your logic, its like saying a woman deserved to get assulted because of the clothes she wore. Seriously dude you need to check yourself.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#22 : April 05, 2013, 10:07:35 AM

of course, Faux News on the wrong side; sees the firing of Rutgers basketball coach Mike Rice as the latest instance of a wussy American culture in free fall.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-april-4-2013/bileshock-infinite

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 05, 2013, 04:25:09 PM

Sayin it to 10 year old kids in a basketball camp, should be the kiss of death in any kind of America.

Kids today aren't exactly angels when it comes to the vocabulary they use. I have several friends who are elementary school teachers, and another who's a school psychologist for Hillsborough county. The things young kids do/say these days would surprise a lot of people. I'm not saying that gives Rice the right to use any language he chooses, but it's a little hard to feel bad when kids themselves use the language on a daily basis.

In other words adults should act like kids when kids act like kids Are you serious about the statement you made?

No, not in other words, those are your words not mine.

You're missing my point. The problem here, as society sees it, is the "abuse" these players had to deal with. My comments aren't about how I think Rice should act, my comments are from the perspective that perhaps the kids aren't as offended as everyone is making them out to be. Oh poor kids, such a horrible tragedy!. Oh wait, ESPN ran an article yesterday with numerous players supporting Rice, talking about how they wish that video would have shown entire practices not just a "highlight reel of the bad".

So while you and others act like this is some horrific situation, I think a very strong case can be made that the public is taking this harder than the players themselves did.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 05, 2013, 04:41:51 PM

Do you really have any idea how you sound in this thread? Using your logic, its like saying a woman deserved to get assulted because of the clothes she wore. Seriously dude you need to check yourself.

At this point its pretty clear you just can't comprehend what you read. Nowhere have I stated, or even insinuated anyone "deserved" anything, yet here you are claiming that's what my argument is about.

I prefer to look at the bigger picture, and that is what type of influence do kids deal with on a daily basis. We (you) can pretend this situation is a horrible tragedy that will have lasting effects, but in the end when compared to the real problems facing the younger generation today it means nothing. You sound like the type who lets the media tell you what is or isn't important. You probably wake up in the morning, grab your bowl of cereal, and then sit down in front of the TV to learn what your opinions should be for the day. Try looking at things from a different perspective every once in a while.

We have shows like Jackass that kids are obsessed with, guys eating each others crap and all kinds of other nonsense. People not only accept that as an everyday influence on youth, they LOVE it. Then a coach is a big meany face and yells some obscenities and the public feigns concern. That's my entire issue with this story, you never hear any outcry over the trash that passes as entertainment these days, but something like this becomes a national spectacle and everyone and their mother all of a sudden cares about our youth. NONSENSE.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#25 : April 05, 2013, 05:11:41 PM

"I prefer to look at the bigger picture"

Then you should be able to see what a giant ass you're making of yourself. 

: April 05, 2013, 05:13:33 PM Durango 95

danlowe748

Starter

#26 : April 05, 2013, 05:41:15 PM

There seems to be something in the water there at Rutgers.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 05, 2013, 06:07:14 PM

"I prefer to look at the bigger picture"

Then you should be able to see what a giant ass you're making of yourself.

A murderer in a movie slashes the head off a half naked slut, the audience begs for more.

A basketball coach curses at players, grabs them by their jerseys and throws balls at their feet. America is disgusted.

Yep, nothing wrong with this scenario, good ol' America and our ass backwards ways. Profanity and violence are a-okay as long as it's put in the form of "art". I just hope none of you are confused as to why Americans are so hated around the world. There are many reasons for that, but one of the main ones is how stupid we are as a country. Now go run out to Game Stop and buy your kids the next Gears of War so that your kid can hack people up with chainsaws, while you run back to the internet to cry about some coach cursing at kids. This is all just too funny. No wonder this country has gone straight down the crapper, people willingly ignore what's staring them right in the face. 

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 05, 2013, 06:11:31 PM

There seems to be something in the water there at Rutgers.

i see what you did there  ;)

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 05, 2013, 06:15:28 PM

Nuthuggers' President apologized to the "LBGT community" for slurs??

Really?? Since when have Transvestites 'mattered'?

How about an apology to the heterosexual community for calling (possibly) straight players 'faggots'.  ;D :-* 

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rutgers basketball coach fired for kicking and abusing players « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools