Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How many teams PAY their no. 2 WR??? (Mike Williams) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#45 : April 01, 2013, 10:50:27 AM

Boldin, Torrey Smith.    Hakeem Nicks Victor Cruz.     Greg Jennings Jordy Nelson.   Marques Colston Robert Meachem.  Santanio Holmes Hines Ward.   If I am not mistaken, the last 5 teams to win a ring have had a dependable #1,#2 WR to help them get there.

Wow. Just Wow.

Thanks for proving my point.

In each of the pairings, there's 1 guy making:
Rookie contract, rookie contract, rookie contract, rookie contract, rookie contract.

And again, I'm NOT saying "draft Tavon Austin on April 25th and cut Mike Williams 5 minutes later".
Here's my WHOLE POINT: IF the Bucs draft Austin....and he has a good/great year... Tampa Bay's 'urgency' to PAY Mike Williams 'market value' goes down..........

WC-Bucs fan

Starter

#46 : April 01, 2013, 11:06:16 AM

We are 28 mil under the cap still, why wouldn't we resign one of our best young players?

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#47 : April 04, 2013, 12:48:12 PM

We are 28 mil under the cap still, why wouldn't we resign one of our best young players?

Well, if Freeman pans out, he's going to cost about $15M.  If Dominik trades for Revis, he'll probably cost about $10M.  Who's coming off the books next year that's has a big contract?

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#48 : April 04, 2013, 12:51:55 PM

If Revis costs 10M, I will be much happier after the trade gets done.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#49 : April 04, 2013, 12:56:21 PM

If Revis costs 10M, I will be much happier after the trade gets done.

Yeah, I short-changed it just because I'm hoping he's not going to cost a ton.... I think he will though.  My fingers are crossed.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#50 : April 04, 2013, 01:45:30 PM

Well, if Freeman pans out, he's going to cost about $15M.  If Dominik trades for Revis, he'll probably cost about $10M.  Who's coming off the books next year that's has a big contract?
Hopefully the road grader.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#51 : April 04, 2013, 01:47:59 PM

Don't the Bucs have approximately 20 plus players in the last year of their respective deals...

You must be accountable for your actions!

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#52 : April 04, 2013, 04:16:43 PM

Don't the Bucs have approximately 20 plus players in the last year of their respective deals...

More than half the roster? I doubt it, but then again that's from my Madden memories.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#53 : April 04, 2013, 04:34:30 PM

There's a lot of ways to free up space like restructuring deals. Not to mention guys like Davin Joseph who could be released in the future if things got really bad. A lot of the big deals are frontloaded as well. There's no way that Mike Williams will be getting away from Tampa next year. Worst case scenario is him being franchised. I don't care how many teams pay their #2 receiver, we have to pay ours.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#54 : April 04, 2013, 05:39:10 PM

do you guys really think we should draft this kid and replace Mike with him? he is the same as jacoby ford and bess.
Is there anyone saying that?
have you been reading the op's take on mike the past few weeks?
1 Person, who also happens to be Chronic. And he only said maybe and if

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#55 : April 04, 2013, 05:54:56 PM

Hopefully the road grader.
Hopefully

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#56 : April 05, 2013, 05:11:21 PM

25 actually.

According to Spotrac's website: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/yearly/  the Bucs have $103.5M allocated towards next years cap.  With a baseline of $120M (it may go up and change things), that only leaves $16.5M.  Now, they very well could have some carry over and other things, but let's say that the Bucs' cap is $140M.  That'll give them $36.5M with 42 players under contract.

Let's say the Bucs get Revis @ $12M.  So now the Bucs have $24.5M to spend and 43 players under contract.
Let's say that Freeman turns things on and gets $15M.  Now the Bucs are down to $9.5M with 9 players still left to sign.
Let's say that this year and next year, the Bucs spend $10M on 10 players that they keep from the draft.  That puts them $0.5M over the cap and a full roster.  That's also banking on Revis costing the Bucs a 1st round pick.  If they can get him without parting with Pick #13, then jack up the draft money spent to $13M.

So now, the Bucs are a $0.5M over the cap and a full roster, without re-signing Mike Williams... go pick the 10 players that get cut because of this years and next years draft picks.  Then, of the remaining 20 Free Agents, go see who you want re-signed.  Then tell me how much they can give Mike Williams.   At this point in the scenario, there's no money at all, under the cap to even sign him to a $6-$7M per year deal... let alone more.  The easiest way to get him paid is to cut Eric Wright, which I'm sure they will the first chance they get.  So that's $7.25M freed up.  So, there you have Williams' money.  BUT, what if Williams wants $10M?  This is the main reason I don't want them to trade for and sign Revis.  His deal will really put a crimp on the teams cap and he's coming off an injury... "gettin' paid"... and getting older.  He'll most likely never be worth the money they pay him.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How many teams PAY their no. 2 WR??? (Mike Williams) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools