Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Demon? Cholesterol « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Runole

Hall of Famer
: April 07, 2013, 09:23:41 AM

It is rather obvious the medical profession,  a significant part of the food industry, and big pharma  absolutely cringe at the thought of the myths concerning cholesterol will ever reach the gullible, naive, and trusting public that buys into over 40 years of total BS propaganda with little scientific evidence about one of the human bodies essential nutrients.

To think it all started in the mid 60's when someone centrifuged some blood and noted a clear uniform liquid at the bottom that turned out to be pure cholesterol.  From there it was duly noted that this essential nutrient was found in blood infarction's and fatty depositions blocking blood flow in the the vessels.  The villain was born.   No need to research the reason why the body produces cholesterol and its function.   Fast forward 50 years and it is hard to find anyone over 60 that isn't on some pharmaceutical trying to control cholesterol production.   

Myths

#1  Bad Cholesterol versus Good Cholesterol-  That which is labeled bad cholesterol is actually the essential nutrient that your body uses every day for brain function repairing every cell in the body and controlling many other functions of the body.  Ironically Good Cholesterol is the cholesterol that is sent back to the liver to be destroyed.  Truthfully cholesterol is always cholesterol and just what is attached to it determines its destination.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/etc/medialib/docs/Sigma/General_Information/2/biofiles_issue12.Par.0001.File.tmp/biofiles_issue12.pdf

#2  Eating foods with cholesterol will increase your cholesterol counts in your body.  There is no scientific proof that what you eat effects your cholesterol levels at all.
Your cholesterol levels are affected by the overall condition of your body and its overall health. Inflammation and seepage of the blood vessels are the primary cause of Cholesterol production rising. Eating that fat filled juicy hamburger may indeed cause weight gain due to the high caloric intake, but it won't raise your cholesterol level anymore than eating eggs or anything else containing cholesterol.  It likewise will not clog your arteries anymore than any other food that produces too many extra calories to prevent from gaining weight and excess adipose tissue. You dont increase your levels of cholesterol by eating. That being said not ingesting any cholesterol in your diet can indeed reduce cholesterol production as well as the drugs that hasten the destruction of this essential nutrient for life.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Cholesterol-Rich-Foods-Raise-Blood-Cholesterol.html

#3 Taking all these medications to limit the alleged "demon" is essential for a healthy body today.   Sorry but the human body is not trying to kill itself contrary to popular belief.  That is not to say everyone isn't being assaulted by processed foods filled with preservatives, growth hormones, and additives that  indeed effects everyone's health and their immune system. Of course this remains an unproven hypothesis but certainly is a more valid reason than blaming an essential element the body produces.

http://radiomd.com/blogs-experts/radiomd-blogs/item/10132-cholesterol-the-myth-the-hero-the-demon

http://drmariamaricich.com/clients/959/documents/cholesterol.pdf

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Cholesterol-Rich-Foods-Raise-Blood-Cholesterol.html

Now I realize that just about the entire medical profession, pharmaceutical industry, and of course media and those interested in selling food products that don't contain cholesterol will not only disagree with my assertions, but that is always the case when logical thinking is against incredible profits.

Oh and lest this again turns into an personal attack upon me I hope this will lead to a productive discussion on the topic if possible.  I see my post on reality TV was ruined by the usual suspects whose sole purpose is to attack any poster that they have a personal agenda against.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#1 : April 07, 2013, 11:30:52 AM

You and your cholesterol crusade again.

http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1281162.msg1377523.html#msg1377523

Runole

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 07, 2013, 03:47:42 PM

You and your cholesterol crusade again.

http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1281162.msg1377523.html#msg1377523

Knowledge is fundamental...  Do you believe in the DEMON cholesterol?  Or do you believe it is an essential nutrient for life?   Should the cholesterol the body uses for taking care of itself be called BAD cholesterol?

Once again I would like a serious discussion not your typical trolling responses designed for what purpose?  Revel in your ignorance?

Oh and once again you take the position of disparaging the research and believing those that make the money for the status quo.

Big Pharma, the medical community, and the food industry love you being their guinea pig.  If I may ask how many pharmaceuticals do you take regularly?
: April 07, 2013, 03:52:17 PM Runole

mwk

Practice Squad

#3 : April 08, 2013, 07:18:53 AM

Agreed,

The fact that 75% of people who have heart attacks have "normal" (what the experts say is normal) levels of cholesterol says all you need to know.

Mark

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 08, 2013, 08:09:27 AM

It should be demon insulin.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

McBarron

Pro Bowler

#5 : April 08, 2013, 09:44:37 AM

Everything in our country is about the 'BENJAMINS'. Especially in the health care field. Think about it, everything causes cancer. EVERYTHING!

Smoking. Look at the attacks over the last decade or so on smoking. I personally think that this has caused more and more people NOT to quit smoking, but instead, relocate their habit to 'the closet'. Seriously, smokers are just a sliver of a step above serial killers in society's eyes.

Let me keep going on smoking because it truly is interesting. Interesting? YES. Why? Well, so many people smoke.....and why is that? No, seriously, why do people smoke? Is it at all possible that there are ACTUAL positives to smoking?

For those who read this and scoff or maybe even shart as a result......think of the mentally unstable crowd........think of all the lifelong smokers who died from natural causes and NOT cancer. Guess what......there has been little to no research done on the potential positives of smoking. Why? As we all know, legitimate 'INDEPENDANT research' is pretty an oxymoron and has been for a long time.

Our health care system is a microcosm of the fear mongering society that the USA has become. Cholesterol is just another way of scaring everyone into submission, a la, if you cholesterol is too high, you will die.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 08, 2013, 01:35:43 PM

Agreed,

The fact that 75% of people who have heart attacks have "normal" (what the experts say is normal) levels of cholesterol says all you need to know.

Mark

Hypertension in the presence of normal cholesterol levels can cause vessel damage and arteriosclerosis. I don't think anyone has said cholesterol is the lone culprit for causing myocardial infarction (heart attack).

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 08, 2013, 08:37:38 PM

Carnitine may be another culprit.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57578422/carnitine-chemical-not-fat-may-explain-link-between-red-meat-and-heart-disease/

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 08, 2013, 09:06:52 PM

So what's the big attraction in trying to scratch a couple of extra years out of life?

Wasting away in a nursing home, staving off death on a daily basis, that's isn't a life, it's just an existence. No thanks.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 08, 2013, 09:29:02 PM

I know of some 30-yr olds who died of heart attack. Bet their families care. I also have hit the tennis courts w 80 yo athletes who are 4.0 USTA. You seem to have a narrow point of reference.
: April 08, 2013, 09:32:05 PM Morgan

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 08, 2013, 10:04:11 PM

"I know of some 30-yr olds who died of heart attack."

I know of one poster I'd like to see join them.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 09, 2013, 05:54:54 AM

Proper diet, exercise, and taking certain medications can extend a life 30-50 yrs.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 09, 2013, 10:35:41 AM

I know of some 30-yr olds who died of heart attack. Bet their families care. I also have hit the tennis courts w 80 yo athletes who are 4.0 USTA. You seem to have a narrow point of reference.

the exception or the rule?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 09, 2013, 11:16:21 AM

I bet there's a direct correlation between quality of the last 25 yrs of one's life and his/her participation in activity/exercise, good nutrition, and abstinence from tobacco.  But it's not unusual to see people w/ fatalistic attitudes about their own health as Durango has. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 09, 2013, 12:26:37 PM

"I know of some 30-yr olds who died of heart attack."

I know of one poster I'd like to see join them.

lolz - just one?

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Demon? Cholesterol « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools