Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: D.J. Hayden to the Bucs? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: April 08, 2013, 01:01:16 AM

D.J. Hayden to the Bucs?

Apr 7 2013, 12:53pm

In the past we've watch GM Mark Dominik take some chances on players with injury and Healthy concerns. Bowers is one with a similar scenario. Before his injury in Bowers would have been a top 10 pick in the 2011 draft(definitely ahead of Clayborn),but his torn meniscus caused him to drop to the second round.

Though Hayden's situation was far more serious and life threatening he has shown that it hasn't slowed him down one bit. Hayden is the 3rd ranked CB on Mike Mayock's draft prospect rankings(which is saying something). Even with great talent his health concerns are going to probably make him the 6th-9th CB taken off the board anywhere from round 2-4(doubt he makes it to the 4th round).

Look for the Bucs to target a guy like this. 1st round talent picked up in the 2nd or 3rd round is right up Dominiks alley. Hayden in the mid rounds allows the Bucs to slowly work him in to the game(as they did with Bowers)and not be an immediate starter(even though we need starting CBs).

Hayden has the skill set to be a #1 CB in the NFL and with the CBs we have "Wright" now we'd be wise to take a chance on this guy. He's instinctive, turns his head to locate the ball, tackles well, and is blazing fast. There's also one thing paper and videos don't show about the kid and that's his mental toughness to excel and overcome. 4 months after an injury most don't survive and still shows up at his pro day showing he hasn't lost a step and is ready for the next level.

Which round would you take D.J Hayden in?

0%
1st round (0 votes)

15%
2nd round (6 votes)

36%
3rd round (14 votes)

26%
4th round (10 votes)

0%
5th round (0 votes)

0%
6th round (0 votes)

10%
7th round (4 votes)

10%
I wouldn't draft him (4 votes)

38 total votes

Houston cornerback D.J. Hayden spoke about the accident in practice in November that nearly took his life.

When D.J. Hayden collapsed to the practice turf on Nov. 6, he thought the wind in his chest was simply knocked out. But then the Houston Cougars senior cornerback began to feel cold. Then he felt tired.

"I'm looking around and I'm getting real sleepy," Hayden said during his meeting with the media at the NFL Combine on Sunday. "My left eye goes pitch black. I can't see out of it. I can see a little bit out of my left eye. I'm praying, 'Lord, help me get out of this one.'"

Houston's team doctor recognized the severity of the issue, sending Hayden to the hospital. Few, however, could have guessed just how dangerous and rare Hayden's condition was until he arrived.

After tests revealed blood building up in his abdomen, doctors cut through Hayden's sternum -- Hayden gave the go-ahead by saying, "OK, just don't mess my abs up" -- when they discovered his torn inferior vena cava, a main highway for blood traveling between the heart and lower body.

"They just stitched the vein up where it was torn," Hayden said. "They said it was like sewing wet tissue paper. I don't know how he did it, but he did it."

The tear, described to Hayden by doctors as a "freak accident" usually seen in high-speed car crashes, is typically fatal 95 percent of the time due to extreme loss of blood. Hayden and a teammate crashed into one another during a passing drill.

"They threw the ball my way. Me and the safety ran into each other. His knee hit me in my chest," Hayden said. "The ball was more on my side. I was running. I wasn't going to jump, but he jumped and then he hit me and I went back and he went forward."

With the vein nearly completely healed, Hayden is working out as his sternum approaches full strength. He didn't participate at the combine, though he said about 20 NFL teams spoke with him there. Hayden's pro day is set for March 18, where he said he will do "everything."

Dan Pompei of the National Football Post says Hayden "intrigues" NFL teams assuming his health proves to be in the clear. Hayden says his new lease on life has changed his perspective on everything, making him prepare even harder to make up for lost time. Perhaps, he admits, he's pushing too hard, as his trainers instructed him to take it slow for the time being.

After a scare like that, though, Hayden is happy to be here regardless, training for the next step in his football career.

"Him (trainer Danny Arnold) telling me I have to slow it down, I was just anxious to break a sweat," Hayden said. "The first sweat I broke, I almost broke down and cried because I was just thankful I'm doing what I was doing."

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/4/7/4193536/d-j-hayden-to-the-bucs
: April 08, 2013, 01:52:54 AM michael89156

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 08, 2013, 02:18:35 AM

Good story.  I hope he makes it.  Someone will take a flyer on him on draft day I suppose.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 08, 2013, 09:43:15 AM

Wow... I remember hearing about that when it happened, heard he was going for it in the draft, I didn't think he would get drafted at first. Glad to hear he's getting some hype.

ctymniak

Second String

#3 : April 08, 2013, 09:51:47 AM

I am all for him with our 2nd 4th round pick.  I would rather take a risk and draft the Honey Badger over him.  I like the idea of drafting a D lineman in the first round then the next 3 picks going to CB.   

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 08, 2013, 10:03:09 AM

3rd

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 08, 2013, 11:59:17 AM

Tough call on this guy.

He appears to be very talented, and I'm not one normally to balk about medical issues - but this one is incredibly serious, not a muscle, tendon or cartilage.   

Based on that - I'm really on the fence.   And I'd probably take Matheiu over this cat in the fourth.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 08, 2013, 12:43:44 PM

If he passes the medical then He's a 2nd round selection IMO. He might be the steal of the draft at CB.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 08, 2013, 12:46:36 PM

Wow, that's unbelievable that the Houston team doctor recognized it quickly enough to save him. Great story.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#8 : April 08, 2013, 12:47:55 PM

This was a one in a billion type thing.  There is no reason to believe this will put him at any increased risk of further injury.  In that regards it's a better injury to come back from than a knee injury.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 08, 2013, 12:51:21 PM

Quote from: mgchat76
This was a one in a billion type thing.  There is no reason to believe this will put him at any increased risk of further injury.  In that regards it's a better injury to come back from than a knee injury.
I agree 100%. It really was a freak injury, but still scary for him. I love this draft's depth at corner, I feel like the whole draft is filled with 2nd to 4th round prospects.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 08, 2013, 01:02:30 PM

If he passes the medical then He's a 2nd round selection IMO. He might be the steal of the draft at CB.

+1 this kid is extremely intriguing to me.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 08, 2013, 01:08:06 PM

I think that the recovery time alone will have someone take a flyer in the 6th...

http://www.drdavidgeier.com/remarkable-recovery-dj-hayden-inferior-vena-cava-houston/

The remarkable recovery of D.J. Hayden

University of Houston cornerback D.J. Hayden was discharged from Memorial Hermann Hospital November 12, just six days after he collided with one of his teammates in practice. His injury is newsworthy because it could have and maybe should have killed him.

Hayden tore his inferior vena cava, the large vein that delivers blood from the lower half of the body to the heart. He was rushed by ambulance to the hospital and underwent emergency surgery to repair the torn vessel.

Coach Tony Levine told the Houston Chronicle that the injury occurred when both Hayden and a teammate broke for the ball and collided. It was a freak accident, Levine said. It was as unfortunate of a situation on a play that I have ever been a part of. Its something you rarely see in practice and playing football.

Such an injury is rare not only in football, but in all sports. Injuries to the inferior vena cava typically result from motor vehicle accidents or penetrating injuries, like gunshot wounds. According to University of Houston team physician Dr. Walter Lowe, the injury is 95 percent fatal in the field.

Looking at the whole course of events and the severity of the injury, D.J. has progressed remarkably well and is out a lot sooner than expected. Hes got a lot of healing left to do as the procedure to repair the inferior vena cava is much like a heart transplant. The sternum should take around three months to heal and D.J. is expected to be able to resume normal activities without contact in three-to-four months, Lowe explained in the schools press release.

Hayden himself hasnt discussed his injury publicly, but his mother realizes that her son could have quickly bled to death. In an interview with Fox 26 in Houston, Tori Hayden thanked the medical personnel involved at all levels who acted quickly to save his life.

Im thankful for (UH head athletics trainer) Mike OShea and his team of trainers. Im thankful for the EMS. Im thankful for the trauma team here at Memorial Hermann and Im just so thankful he is just still here with me.

Dr. Lowe believes Hayden will need a full year to recover.  But just days after her sons release from the hospital, Tori Hayden says that she expects her son to want to return to the sport that nearly took his life. Me as a mother I really dont want him to go back out there, but I know my son. Hes a fighter and I know hes going to overcome this.

D.J. Hayden suffered one of the most unusual injuries Ive ever heard of in sports. I would argue that whether or not he ever returns to football is not important at this point. It is truly remarkable that he is alive at all.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 08, 2013, 01:25:39 PM

If the Bucs like D.J. Hayden they will have to take him in the 2nd. He will be gone by our 3rd pick.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 08, 2013, 07:51:03 PM

If the Bucs like D.J. Hayden they will have to take him in the 2nd. He will be gone by our 3rd pick.

I don't think so.  Its not that he will get injured again, its the recovery time from that first injury.  Will he be able to perform at 100% in 2013 at all? Its a risky pick, and might be better suited for a loaded team that won't require his services right away.
: April 08, 2013, 08:46:07 PM The Anti-Java

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#14 : April 08, 2013, 08:32:33 PM

I don't think so.  Its not that we will get injured again, its the recovery time from that first injury.  Will he be able to perform at 100% in 2013 at all? Its a risky pick, and might be better suited for a loaded team that won't require his services right away.
The same could be said of Tank Carradine, but I fully expect he'll go in the 1st regardless of his injury.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: D.J. Hayden to the Bucs? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools