Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vladimir Lenin meets MSNBC & your local University « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#60 : April 12, 2013, 03:54:11 PM

That's hilarious...I pulled a few strings and he went straight to crazy town..lol

It wasn't a long trip.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#61 : April 12, 2013, 03:57:06 PM

That's hilarious...I pulled a few strings and he went straight to crazy town..lol

It wasn't a long trip.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
#62 : April 12, 2013, 03:57:37 PM

It wasn't a long trip.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#63 : April 12, 2013, 04:03:09 PM

I pulled a few strings and he went straight to crazy town..lol

Yes , when you said I tried to "jibe" using the "Rush Sabre" ....I just couldn't take it anymore . The corniness was so overwhelming it sent me spiraling right of the edge , lol.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#64 : April 12, 2013, 05:38:57 PM

If you are talking about the adjective I agree 100%, but this is a Political Science Professor, so what chances do you think she is using the word as an adjective? She was using it as a noun, hence the inclusion of the word "the".

She was using it as an adjective, spartan. "We haven't had a very collective notion that these are our children..." In this sentence, the word "collective" is not a noun, it's an adjective. The word "notion" is the noun. Adjectives don't simply become nouns just because a poli-sci professor said it.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#65 : April 12, 2013, 05:39:03 PM

It's amazing that anyone is trying to characterize her comments as benign.  What she's talking about isn't primarily about education, that is secondary.  She's talking about a conceptual transfer of "ownership" of children. 

No she isn't, and quite frankly, it's a little bit insane for anyone to actually think that she is suggesting that. Who, by your estimation, are you assuming she is suggesting that ownership of children be transferred to? Her specifically? The government? When she says "these are our children", she is referring to the community, or society as a whole, not some secret government institution that is going to come knocking on your door and take your kids off to some determent camp somewhere in Nevada.

Her ad is referring to the mentality that children are private property, therefor, the community has no stake or interest in their becoming a success or failure as a human being. We should know that this is asinine, because if a child has a poor family structure, and grows up to be an illiterate, degenerate f***wad, then it isn't only that kid's parent who shoulders the cost of dealing with them. Conversely, if that kid grows up to be the next Albert Einstein or Thomas Edison, it isn't just that kid's parents that reap the benefits of their success. Therefor, as a society, as a community, we ought to take a collective interest in seeing that children have good educations. That's what she is saying. It is only by your conjecture that she is saying anything else.

The statement "we need to invest more in education" can be, and often has been made, without involving her use of the property concept.  Responsibility doesn't exist in a vacuum.  It is inevitably paired with authority.  If you are going to take the responsibility of raising kids away from parents (and hand it to the government and well meaning "experts" like herself presumably) you also need to take the authority needed to meet that responsibility. 

Never does she say anything about taking the responsibility of raising kids away from their parents. It isn't even implied. That's you talking, not her. As the coach of my little girls soccer team, I am responsible for all the girls on team, and yes, within the job responsibilities of being a coach, I have authority over them. That does not mean that I have taken the parent's responsibility of raising those kids away from them, nor in any way, shape, or form do I desire to.

And CBW, nice quoting job, but totally irrelevant to what she was talking about.  Spending on education isn't something that is being debated. And here's a little newsflash -- we already spend more per student on education than any other country, and nobody begrudges spending it -- although many are pretty pissed off about the craptastic results we've been getting lately.

What planet are you living on? No one is debating spending on education? No one complains about it? Are you being serious? Also, there are a bunch of flaws not in what is spent, but rather, how it's spent. Good performing schools in more affluent neighborhoods tend to be overly funded, whereas inner city schools in poor districts are woefully underfunded. On paper, it looks like a lot is spent, but not every kid sees the benefit of that spending, only a select few. Investment doesn't just mean money spent. It means taking an overall interest in implementation and outcome. If we did that as well as other countries, then we would be better off for it.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#66 : April 12, 2013, 05:39:53 PM

I pulled a few strings and he went straight to crazy town..lol

Yes , when you said I tried to "jibe" using the "Rush Sabre" ....I just couldn't take it anymore . The corniness was so overwhelming it sent me spiraling right of the edge , lol.

Vinny and Delirious, sittin in a tree...

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#67 : April 12, 2013, 06:37:46 PM

Roaches huddle together. One has been kicked out a couple times the other only hangs in the darkness of the dungeon. Weirdness

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#68 : April 12, 2013, 08:24:02 PM

"Trying to figure out if you are delusional or just slow?"

lolz, but the PeanutButterBoy will be oblivious as usual.
lol
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vladimir Lenin meets MSNBC & your local University « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools