Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who will we draft round 2? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bucyou

Rookie

#15 : April 18, 2013, 05:37:50 AM

manti te'o

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 18, 2013, 05:58:56 AM

If we trade the first for Revis then Moore, Short, or Hankins.  You could even make the argument for another CB.  Even a MLB like Minter would be good value. 

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#17 : April 18, 2013, 07:02:17 AM

I say a tight end to go with Tavon Austin in round one. Make this offense elite and see the board freak out when we pass on defense and corners with first 2 picks.

Offense is already elite. We need consistent. Schiano will not settle for another track meet year, defense will be addressed early and often.

My God the term elite has lost any and all meaning thanks to the way it's cheaply thrown around these days.
13th in points scored and 9th for yardage doesn't even come close to being elite, elite is the best of the best, we were GOOD (no more, no less) and that is based mostly on a handful of games where they exploded padding their stats, the rest of the time it's average at best.
The freakin Vikings scored just 10 points less than us on the season, that isn't something an elite offense can say.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 18, 2013, 08:40:58 AM

I say a tight end to go with Tavon Austin in round one. Make this offense elite and see the board freak out when we pass on defense and corners with first 2 picks.

Offense is already elite. We need consistent. Schiano will not settle for another track meet year, defense will be addressed early and often.

My God the term elite has lost any and all meaning thanks to the way it's cheaply thrown around these days.
13th in points scored and 9th for yardage doesn't even come close to being elite, elite is the best of the best, we were GOOD (no more, no less) and that is based mostly on a handful of games where they exploded padding their stats, the rest of the time it's average at best.
The freakin Vikings scored just 10 points less than us on the season, that isn't something an elite offense can say.

+1.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 18, 2013, 09:07:37 AM

Yes a bit of an over statement, I can admit that. I stick to my original idea however. You improve this team the most by making the weakest point, our pass defense, stronger, not by making a strength marginally stronger.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#20 : April 18, 2013, 09:14:27 AM

manti te'o

Te'o isn't as good as Foster in the run game. He is an upgrade in the pass defense department but so is Jonathan Casillas. I believe Casillas was signed to compete for the 2nd LB in nickel packages as our LBs were as big of a problem in pass defense as our secondary last year.

I doubt we draft Te'o

- Everyone

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#21 : April 18, 2013, 09:39:12 AM

Yes a bit of an over statement, I can admit that. I stick to my original idea however. You improve this team the most by making the weakest point, our pass defense, stronger, not by making a strength marginally stronger.
I do agree with you to a point but there are issues that have to be factored in like...
How bad was that weakest point in terms of talent vs scheme? We had lesser talent at the end of the year yet in terms of yardage we were far better than at the beginning thanks to scheme changes, off the top of my head I think it was 80 yards per game less over the last 5 games compared to the first 5.
Can we make do with upgrading the weakest spot with 2nd & 3rd rounders and a scheme change while also upgrading the slot, RB depth and return games with the addition of Austin?
Is a first round corner really going to make such a huge difference as opposed to a 2nd rounder? I can't see it being the difference between us going from being below average to above average, plus the vast majority of the teams with the worst pass defenses in league history made the playoffs by making their best areas great.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 18, 2013, 11:43:08 AM

Could be anything except QB, RB, G. C, S.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#23 : April 18, 2013, 11:45:56 AM

If we trade the first for Revis then Moore, Short, or Hankins.  You could even make the argument for another CB.  Even a MLB like Minter would be good value.

I'm really warming up to Moore - lot of versatility.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 18, 2013, 11:59:22 AM

I do agree with you to a point but there are issues that have to be factored in like...
How bad was that weakest point in terms of talent vs scheme? We had lesser talent at the end of the year yet in terms of yardage we were far better than at the beginning thanks to scheme changes, off the top of my head I think it was 80 yards per game less over the last 5 games compared to the first 5.
Can we make do with upgrading the weakest spot with 2nd & 3rd rounders and a scheme change while also upgrading the slot, RB depth and return games with the addition of Austin?
Is a first round corner really going to make such a huge difference as opposed to a 2nd rounder? I can't see it being the difference between us going from being below average to above average, plus the vast majority of the teams with the worst pass defenses in league history made the playoffs by making their best areas great.

I don't particularly care which round goes to which spot, as long as we indeed do upgrade our CB spot significantly. If we can do that with a 2nd and 3rd, great. I do feel we have a better shot at improving talent if we use higher picks.

This draft is deep at CB and I think we can get a guy to challenge for starting reps, assuming no Revis, in the 3rd. Jamarr Taylor and CW Webb come to mind. Webb is getting good reviews but is from a small school so teams might shy away.

- Everyone

Mic

Starter

#25 : April 18, 2013, 12:01:34 PM

don't be surprised if you hear Christine Michael

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 18, 2013, 12:20:55 PM

Now factor in that we have a top 3 guard and a top 5-10 guard that didn't even play a down together.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 18, 2013, 12:45:58 PM

Now factor in that we have a top 3 guard and a top 5-10 guard that didn't even play a down together.
That means nothing, people made the same assumptions/mistake going into 2011 after all the injuries we had in 2010, just assuming that we would be a far better team due to returning players from injury and experience for the backups, look how that turned out.
It's not like losing 2 guards, no matter how good they are, is a massive thing. Sure there is dropoff but it's impact isn't like losing your QB, top pass rusher, left tackle top corner or wideout, you just plug in a new guy and continue playing.
Lets not forget that when Dougie was going off mid last year we had injury issues at guard, infact the Raiders game where Doug exploded it was Zuttah and Meredith starting, Nicks was already banged up for weeks before he was put on IR.
It will be nice to have them back but really it's not that big of a deal and truthfully we have massively over invested at a position of little importance.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#28 : April 18, 2013, 12:56:46 PM

Except we lost our 2 Gs plus 2 pass-rushers, and our top corners for huge chunks of the season.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#29 : April 18, 2013, 01:08:35 PM

Except we lost our 2 Gs plus 2 pass-rushers, and our top corners for huge chunks of the season.
You mean 2 pass rushers that haven't proven a thing yet other than they can get hurt easily and 2 corners that were getting lit up like the sky on the 4th July?
It's not like we lost anything important in 2010 like both our top DTs, our entire interior oline, a starting corner & FS.
Just assuming returns from injury will help the team is asking for trouble.

Plus how does returning 2 DEs and getting new corners help the offense become elite?
: April 18, 2013, 01:11:55 PM TBTrojan
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who will we draft round 2? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools