Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Assessing Bucs at running back « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : April 18, 2013, 12:16:35 AM »

NFL draft: Assessing Bucs at running back

Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer 

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Overall assessment

The Bucs could use a change-of-pace back to take the load off Doug Martin, who had 368 touches as a rookie last season. It's possible no running backs go in the first round, and Tampa Bay isn't likely to take one early. A third-round possibility? Wisconsin's Montee Ball, who in 2011 led Division I-A with 1,923 yards and tied a I-A record with 39 touchdowns (six receiving). Ball was third in 2012 with 1,830 yards. Bucs offensive line coach Bob Bostad held the same job at Wisconsin.

Breaking down the Bucs

Who's back: Doug Martin, LeGarrette Blount, Michael Smith and fullback Erik Lorig. Martin burst onto the scene out of Boise State and set a club rookie rushing record with 1,454 yards and 11 touchdowns. He also caught 49 passes for 472 yards and a score, and was named to the Pro Bowl. Blount, who played sparingly in 2012, re-signed last month for one year, although the team has dangled him as trade bait. Smith, a 2012 seventh-rounder from Utah State, was active for only one game. Lorig, the starting fullback, caught 12 passes for 83 yards and a touchdown.

Who they picked up: Brian Leonard (free agent). The 2007 second-round pick by the Rams played for Bucs coach Greg Schiano at Rutgers. He excels at pass protection and could serve as the primary third-down back.

Who left: D.J. Ware. Signed shortly before the start of the 2012 season after being released by the Giants, Ware served as the Bucs' third-down back. He was released April 4.

Top five in the draft

Eddie Lacy, Alabama, 5-11, 231 — Powerful, between-the-tackles back rushed for 1,322 yards and 17 touchdowns on 204 carries in 2012.

Giovani Bernard, North Caro­lina, 5-9, 202 — Change-of-pace back who in 2012 led the ACC with 1,228 rushing yards and was the top punt returner in Division I-A with a 16.4-yard average.

Montee Ball, Wisconsin, 5-11, 214 — Set a Division I-A record with 83 career touchdowns and was the nation's leading rusher in 2011 with 1,923 yards.

Johnathan Franklin, UCLA, 5-10, 205 — A fast, shifty running back who broke the Bruins' season (1,734 in 2012) and career (4,403) record for rushing yards; an all-purpose player who is dangerous as a receiver.

Andre Ellington, Clemson, 5-9, 199 — A compact back with surprising power, he was second in the ACC in rushing yards per game (83.2) in 2012.

Rick Stroud, Times staff writer

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #1 : April 18, 2013, 12:18:30 AM »

Lacy is going to bust. I like Ellington.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #2 : April 18, 2013, 12:57:51 AM »

Hopfully the bucs use more than martin and the occasional 3rd down sub this year.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
« #3 : April 18, 2013, 01:32:24 AM »

I hope Smith has developed enough we don't need to burn a pick on a back... if we do Ellington would be nice. I have a feeling Ball will get called in the 2nd; there's just too much production there.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #4 : April 18, 2013, 03:34:23 AM »

Lots of RB's out there looking for work. The Saints have a 2nd round tender on Chris Ivory IIRC.  But the Jets are trying to get him for less. So he could had for a later round pick maybe.

Felix Jones was a free agent, but I don't know if he signed anywhere yet.

Definitely need to be careful to not put too many miles on Dougie.  I was hoping Blount was that guy, but Schiano has other ideas.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #5 : April 18, 2013, 07:24:14 AM »

Ehh Bucs are fine at HB.

We wouldn't have released Ware(even though hes equate him to the barnacles i have to clean on the bottom of my boat) if we werent comfortable at the HB position,

There are 3 guys there capable of being decent backups.

So many other positions of need pass on even looking at any of these guys. HB's are like robots anyway, as long as they catch the ball and dont fumble they are a dime a dozen

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #6 : April 18, 2013, 07:27:50 AM »

HB's are like robots anyway, as long as they catch the ball and dont fumble they are a dime a dozen

and we only have one guy that fits that criteria

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #7 : April 18, 2013, 07:30:51 AM »

HB's are like robots anyway, as long as they catch the ball and dont fumble they are a dime a dozen

and we only have one guy that fits that criteria

Brian Leonard is a solid backup option.

Also I think im not going out on a limb sayign LGB and Smith will be improved.

We cut Ware for a reason, other than smelling like a ripe turd

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

« #8 : April 18, 2013, 07:54:45 AM »

Not sure we NEED anyone.  But, I wouldnt mind trading Blount for a 5th or 6th if we could get Ellington with one of those picks.  If the coaches have soured on Blount, then we do probably need one more guy.

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

Mic

Starter

« #9 : April 18, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »

Don't be surprised if we target Christine Michael in the second , were really high on him. He's the type of short stocky do it all kind of back Schiano likes, a more explosive version Martin if you want to compare combine numbers (set the vert record for rb's(43").

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70789&draftyear=2012&genpos=RB (Martin's combine)
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89453&draftyear=2013&genpos=RB (MIchael's combine)

Had some off-feld troubles at A&M(coaches doghouse) so didn't see as many carries. He's first round talent marred by other issues i.e. 2010 acl, coaches

I don't like the idea of drafting a back this high but in todays NFL where you need 2 back's, why not have another Martin clone?
Michael would be the perfect compliment to Martin, and could step in if Martin went down without missing a beat

bucs449

Hall of Famer

« #10 : April 18, 2013, 01:01:30 PM »

Andre Ellington, Clemson, 5-9, 199 — A compact back with surprising power, he was second in the ACC in rushing yards per game (83.2) in 2012.

Unreal that 83.2 rushing yards per game is enough for second in an entire league. Wow

BucD

Hall of Famer

« #11 : April 18, 2013, 01:11:31 PM »

Don't be surprised if we target Christine Michael in the second , were really high on him. He's the type of short stocky do it all kind of back Schiano likes, a more explosive version Martin if you want to compare combine numbers (set the vert record for rb's(43").

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70789&draftyear=2012&genpos=RB (Martin's combine)
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89453&draftyear=2013&genpos=RB (MIchael's combine)

Had some off-feld troubles at A&M(coaches doghouse) so didn't see as many carries. He's first round talent marred by other issues i.e. 2010 acl, coaches

I don't like the idea of drafting a back this high but in todays NFL where you need 2 back's, why not have another Martin clone?
Michael would be the perfect compliment to Martin, and could step in if Martin went down without missing a beat

Would love Michael.

But would LOVE Montee Ball more.  Other than Trent Richardson and Doug Martin, he's been my favorite RB in college football the last few years.

But I think it's all but guaranteed that we will draft another RB to pair with Dougie and take a little bit of the load off.  Mid to late rounder.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #12 : April 18, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »

Alabama RBs are over-rated. It's all the run blocking.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

« #13 : April 18, 2013, 01:31:04 PM »

Alabama RBs are over-rated. It's all the run blocking.

I think Trent Richardson is going to be great and T.J. Yeldon may end up being the best of the group, but those lines they have at Alabama year in and year out are absolutely unreal.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #14 : April 18, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »

Lacy is going to bust. I like Ellington.

Martin and Ellington would be pretty sick, he's going to be long gone before we pick a RB though.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Assessing Bucs at running back « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools