Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Have the Buccaneers built a playoff-caliber defense? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#105 : May 14, 2013, 06:39:04 PM

I would actually be fine if we saw the same sack number as last year in '13...

Not me. I know that getting consistent pressure and QB hits, is more important than just sack numbers alone....but it has been almost a decade since we had 30 sacks in a season. That is **CENSORED**ing ridiculous and it has to change.

Draft Aaron Donald

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#106 : May 14, 2013, 06:44:29 PM

I'm sure they will have a 30 sack memorabilia day at RJS for such a nice consolation prize....that is, only if they reach that number by the final home game this year... ;)

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#107 : May 14, 2013, 07:03:04 PM

Looking back over the past five years.....

32nd - Jaguars 120 sacks.
31st - Chiefs 127 sacks
30th - Bucs 133 sacks
28th - Falcons 155 sacks
28th - Colts 155 sacks
27th - Browns 156 sacks
26th - Saints 159 sacks

So there is a big drop off even from the bottom feeders.....to the Bucs, Chiefs, and Jags. When it comes to sacks, we are part of the trifecta of crap.

On the other end of the spectrum.....

1st - Steelers 218 sacks
1st - Vikings 218 sacks
3rd - Cowboys 212 sacks
4th - Eagles 211 sacks

: May 14, 2013, 07:15:12 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#108 : May 14, 2013, 08:08:26 PM

On the Rice/Sapp thing, why do some posters seem to think the gross stat is the only truth. Every team and circumstance is different, that is shy stats in football tell only part of the story. Alvin Harper had good stats before the Bucs .,, gross stats don't account for reality. They are helpful, but not in isolation.

Ask FRG. He is the only one that I have seen that was using stats in this argument.

My stance is that the DEs have little affect on each other in edge rushing situations. That certainly changes when you look at the DL as a collective group. On that part, I agree with you.

Sorry, the stat issue is FRGs issue not yours, didn't mean to imply that. FRG is sometimes ( emphasis on sonetimes) the little math guy trying to tell the world how football works having never played (or at  least not accounting for actual, real world experience). Of course having one D lineman best his man makes things better for the rest. Trust in one's eyes and common sense sometimes required.
If you can't prove it, it doesn't happen.
: May 14, 2013, 08:20:04 PM Feel Real Good

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#109 : May 14, 2013, 08:42:45 PM

31st - Chiefs 127 sacks
30th - Bucs 133 sacks
28th - Falcons 155 sacks
28th - Colts 155 sacks
27th - Browns 156 sacks
26th - Saints 159 sacks

So there is a big drop off even from the bottom feeders.....to the Bucs, Chiefs, and Jags. When it comes to sacks, we are part of the trifecta of crap.

1st - Steelers 218 sacks
1st - Vikings 218 sacks
3rd - Cowboys 212 sacks
4th - Eagles 211 sacks
So..

Sometimes you need sacks to win sometimes you don't? That's all I really see from that list.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#110 : May 15, 2013, 05:03:49 AM

On the Rice/Sapp thing, why do some posters seem to think the gross stat is the only truth. Every team and circumstance is different, that is shy stats in football tell only part of the story. Alvin Harper had good stats before the Bucs .,, gross stats don't account for reality. They are helpful, but not in isolation.

Ask FRG. He is the only one that I have seen that was using stats in this argument.

My stance is that the DEs have little affect on each other in edge rushing situations. That certainly changes when you look at the DL as a collective group. On that part, I agree with you.

Sorry, the stat issue is FRGs issue not yours, didn't mean to imply that. FRG is sometimes ( emphasis on sonetimes) the little math guy trying to tell the world how football works having never played (or at  least not accounting for actual, real world experience). Of course having one D lineman best his man makes things better for the rest. Trust in one's eyes and common sense sometimes required.
If you can't prove it, it doesn't happen.

lol . . . if youre sitting in front of a laptop . . . I guess you never really played a team sport?

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#111 : May 15, 2013, 05:06:03 AM

Sorry, the stat issue is FRGs issue not yours, didn't mean to imply that. FRG is sometimes ( emphasis on sonetimes) the little math guy trying to tell the world how football works having never played (or at  least not accounting for actual, real world experience).

You mean PFF ?? lol

exactly .. . one poster we know is still trying to figure out what the word subjective means   :D

the PFF stuff is interesting and helpful, the flaw lies in acting as if it the sole truth
: May 15, 2013, 05:19:13 AM VinBucFan

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#112 : May 15, 2013, 10:59:20 AM

31st - Chiefs 127 sacks
30th - Bucs 133 sacks
28th - Falcons 155 sacks
28th - Colts 155 sacks
27th - Browns 156 sacks
26th - Saints 159 sacks

1st - Steelers 218 sacks
1st - Vikings 218 sacks
3rd - Cowboys 212 sacks
4th - Eagles 211 sacks
So..

Sometimes you need sacks to win sometimes you don't? That's all I really see from that list.
And it also tells you that leading the league in sacks doesn't equate to SB wins. 

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#113 : May 15, 2013, 05:37:25 PM

Yeah....sacks are so over rated!  ???

Draft Aaron Donald

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#114 : May 15, 2013, 06:29:30 PM

Sacks are for losers , just ask Geraldini .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#115 : May 15, 2013, 11:21:15 PM

I hate when some analysts talk about how sacks aren't necessarily important and pressure is what matters the most. Sacks ruin drives. If you can get a sack, you almost guarantee a punt by the offense.

Screw the story lines of "the Bucs didn't sack Brees, but they pressured him a lot." With the rules today, you can't touch the QB unless the ball is in his hand so I want to see Brees and Ryan in the dirt with drive ending sacks next year.
: May 15, 2013, 11:30:30 PM bucs449

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#116 : May 16, 2013, 06:03:37 AM

Sacks are for losers , just ask Geraldini .
I'd have to be a pro bowler to do that. :)

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#117 : May 16, 2013, 07:28:08 AM

I hate when some analysts talk about how sacks aren't necessarily important and pressure is what matters the most. Sacks ruin drives. If you can get a sack, you almost guarantee a punt by the offense.

Screw the story lines of "the Bucs didn't sack Brees, but they pressured him a lot." With the rules today, you can't touch the QB unless the ball is in his hand so I want to see Brees and Ryan in the dirt with drive ending sacks next year.

It's true . Sacks are drive killers almost every time.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 ... 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Have the Buccaneers built a playoff-caliber defense? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools