Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your guess on biggest winners and losers in the 2013 Season? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#30 : May 15, 2013, 10:41:16 AM

Not wishing an injury...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167930/article/redskins-cowboys-colts-set-at-backup-qb-falcons-in-trouble

Rappaport..

Cousins is a model backup; Falcons are vulnerable

Best: In my mind, you look for two things in a backup quarterback, knowing that most clubs will be up a creek if the starter goes down for the year. First is an ability to come in and pinch hit for, say, a month, and keep the ship steady in the midst of a playoff run. Second is the potential to eventually become a legitimate starter -- to either serve as heir to the No. 1 or provide trade value down the line. And to me, there's one backup in the NFL who checks off both those boxes best: the Washington Redskins' Kirk Cousins. He showed last season that he could be pressed into action in the short term and win. And he also displayed the potential -- he's just 24 years old -- to become much more. In short, for teams employing the Ron Wolf philosophy of drafting quarterbacks in bulk, Cousins represents the model of what they'd like those draftees to become.

Worst: This is a tough question to answer, because there are plenty of variables involved with guys who aren't actually playing, but the contender who would appear to be in the most trouble is Atlanta. For now, Dominique Davis is Matt Ryan's backup. Some in scouting circles really like the upside of David Cutcliffe pupil Sean Renfree, the Falcons' seventh-round pick out of Duke. But there's no doubt that there are a lot of unknowns here. If Ryan were to go down for even a few weeks, the lack of a proven No. 2 could come back to bite the Falcons.

Smith...

Cowboys wouldn't miss a beat with Orton under center
In an ideal situation, a "great" backup quarterback is someone who has previously started, has had a degree of success and has been in the league long enough to have seen everything. That way, if he's thrust into an active playing role, the team's fortunes don't immediately take a tumble.

There are two situations in the league right now that fall under the "best" category. The best current backup plan belongs to the Dallas Cowboys. Tony Romo is the unquestioned starter, but I don't think the Cowboys would miss a beat if they had to turn to Kyle Orton. In fact, should Romo miss a lot of time, I guarantee you Cowboys fans will say, "Why are we paying Romo that kind of money when Orton's playing just as well?" Remember, in 2010, Jon Kitna stepped in during Romo's absence and nearly matched Romo's statistical production. The Cowboys are built with enough weapons to make it easy on a backup to come in and succeed.

The most enviable backup plan belongs to the Washington Redskins, who have a No. 2 with great potential in Kirk Cousins. Robert Griffin III might have injury issues throughout his career, due to his slight frame, and Cousins has already shown he can come in and light up the scoreboard. I wouldn't be surprised if Cousins sees regular action on a yearly basis -- i.e., coming in during a few games and starting one or two. And if Cousins continues to play well? Washington can either keep him or trade him to a quarterback-hungry team -- and likely recoup a second-round draft pick.

The worst backup plan belongs to the Atlanta Falcons. Right now, Dominique Davis is their No. 2. The Falcons like him, but he's never taken an NFL snap. If Matt Ryan were to get hurt early, this Super Bowl contender would suddenly drop into the race for the No. 1 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. (Just ask Indianapolis what can happen if you fail to have a good enough backup behind your star.) I can't believe this is how the Falcons are going to enter the season -- they need to sign a veteran at some point soon. Maybe they're waiting for Mark Sanchez to become available
using that logic you could say the Patriots could be surprise losers in 2013.  I mean they have been Super Bowl contenders every year since 2001.  There luck has to run out sometime. 

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 15, 2013, 10:51:11 AM

Comparing the Falcons to the Patriots? Get off Matt Ryan's nut sack.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#32 : May 15, 2013, 03:58:19 PM

Winners: Bucs, Chiefs, Dolphins, Rams
Losers: Falcons, Seahawks, Colts, Redskins

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#33 : May 15, 2013, 06:58:06 PM

Lol how are the ravens losers? They beefed up there defensive line, signed Elvis dumervil, and replaced an aging Ed reed with Matt Elam.

Oh and they got a guy named Brent Grimes coming back who didn't even play most of last season.

Ravens are still very good on defense
A few reasons why the Ravens fall off:
1. Superbowl champs are targeted 16 games out of the season and they werent even the best team in football last yr.
2. Too much turnover at key positions and Elam cant fill one of Reeds socks. Who's gonna fill Rays socks and who's gonna make the cluth catches that Boldin made last yr?
3. The Steelers will regain pole position in that division now that Ray and Reed are gone.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

ingey1968

Starter

#34 : May 15, 2013, 07:14:54 PM

All these tv people and such like the Phins for what they did in offseason...   Seems like Philly did the same thing a couple years ago and how did that work out.

BigSombrero1

Rookie

#35 : May 15, 2013, 08:01:52 PM

All these tv people and such like the Phins for what they did in offseason...   Seems like Philly did the same thing a couple years ago and how did that work out.
I picked them to be losers this year mostly due to their offense.  Does anyone scare you on that roster?  Mike Wallace I guess is a legitimate downfield threat but if your safeties have the awareness not to let him beat them deep then he's kind of just a one trick pony.  After him, their receivers range from solid (Hartline, Keller) to barely  serviceable. I won't even spend my time mentioning their runningbacks.  Looking at their defense, outside of a potentially top tier pass rush, it's pretty pedestrian at best.  They just don't have a very good roster at all and we are in an age where having a really good pass rush is overrated.  It's really good to get constant pressure on QB's but you need more than that to win games and the Dolphins don't have anything else going for them.
: May 15, 2013, 08:05:00 PM BigSombrero1

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 16, 2013, 08:45:46 AM

3. The BENGALS will take pole position in that division now that Ray and Reed are gone.

I think its the Bengals turn...   

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 16, 2013, 09:53:09 AM

3. The BENGALS will take pole position in that division now that Ray and Reed are gone.

I think its the Bengals turn...
I can see it happening

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your guess on biggest winners and losers in the 2013 Season? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools