Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Props to Mark Dominik « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #75 : April 22, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »

Dom is finally learning the 3 P's.   PAY for PROVEN  PREFORMERS. No more wasting money on the Claytons,  Q Blacks and other 2nd tier talent ( He got a lucky mulligan with Eric Wright). If you're going to  spend big $$ then spend it on All Pro, Pro Bowl or top 5- 10 talent. The rest can all be replaced. Another quality draft  and all of a sudden the Bucs roster is loaded with young talent.
+1. Quite correct.

In Verner We Trust

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #76 : April 22, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »

IF he hits on 2 starters this draft AND we get into the playoffs - GM of the Year?

OoOoOoOoO.....

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #77 : April 22, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »

If Freeman plays well, this should be a playoff caliber team.
I'm generally hestitant to make this sort of statement, but what the heck.  I disagree slightly.  If Freeman's play is mediocre, this should be a playoff caliber team.  If Freeman actually plays well (and the team as a whole stays healthy), this should be a team that makes some noise in the playoffs.

Depends on what else we do, really. I think already, this is going to be a team that will see a vast improvement defensively. I don't care about total yardage allowed and where they are ranked in that regard. It's irrelevant. What I care about is whether they can get off the field on 3rd downs, whether they can limit the opponents in the red zone, whether they can be more efficient in causing turnovers. Adding Revis and Goldson will improve things. Changing the DB coach should improve things. What will drastically improve things, though, adding pass rush. Pass rush is a DBs best friend. It makes their lives a hell of a lot easier. Sure we get Clayborn back, but we will be lucky if he gives us at least what Bennett did in terms of getting QB pressure. Now, I was not one of these people who freaked out and built Bennett up for more than what he was, but he did have a pretty good year last season and got a lot of pressure on the QB. I'm not upset that he is gone, but I do realize that it will probably just be a "wash" by getting Clayborn back. Sure we have Bowers and hopefully he continues to progress, but more is needed. A 3rd DE in 4-3s is essentially a 3rd starter. The 3rd DE on quality pass rushing teams will see the field close to 60% of the time. You know how much the starting DE could see if he is properly rotated? Well Peppers last year saw about 75% of the Bears snaps. DE is a highly rotated position. With other positions, you want to see depth just in case a player goes down. With DE, you want your 3rd and 4th guys to be able to come on and provide the same amount of pass rush and motor that the primary DEs show. For this defense to climb to the top of the league in multiple categories that are a hell of a lot more important than total yards, more pass rush will be needed.

Now, on the Freeman thing. This isn't a 7 win team that is looking for 3 more wins. This is a 0 win team that needs 10+ wins this season. We will be facing other teams just as talented and teams that know how to take care of business against good squads. Last year was last year. Different circumstances. Different teams altogether. This is not a team that was a Gorrer INT away from a victory over the Eagles, or an Underwood drop away from a possible nail in the coffin vs the Falcons...etc. That was last years team against last years competition. Those scenarios aren't guaranteed to happen the same way this year. So sure, you(in general) can choose to look at certain scenarios and say, "well if Revis had been on that team last year then we could have won...."...No. We are not guaranteed to face those exact scenarios. This team just needs to go out an collectively take care of business. You can have all the talent in the world, but it needs to mesh in order for it to be successful. There are 10+ other teams in the NFC that are just as talented as we are, and its gonna be a dog fight for every single playoff spot. Quite frankly, I'm very excited to see it.
Also well stated. Furthermore, while I applaud those who will give Dom credit, I will not take back my previous criticism. He deserved it. We didn't make the playoffs and were flat out lousy a few times. But he has grown into the position, has support from ownership and is making good moves. Is it enough to be a playoff team? I sure hope so. Kudos to Dom for putting us in the conversation. Hope his hard work gets the reward.

In Verner We Trust

Naismith

Hall of Famer

« #78 : April 22, 2013, 02:43:34 PM »

IF he hits on 2 starters this draft AND we get into the playoffs - GM of the Year?

OoOoOoOoO.....

I'm not sure where he could hit on starters. I guess RT and SLB?

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #79 : April 22, 2013, 02:49:18 PM »

DT, SLB,  NCB, ROT or KR/PR is what I'm thinking...

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #80 : April 22, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »

Mad props Trae...

Amazing how many Dom-bashers don't have the stones to come in here asking for their (well deserved) plate of stuffed CROW...!

Folks...  You better be prepared for Dom to be pursued by other teams.  This guy is a young, brilliant, deal-brokering, genius IMNSHO.
Stuffed crow?
For what, Dom got his butt handed to him by Idjit.
A first and third for a guy that the Jets couldn't keep and nobody else wanted, well played.
Then throw in the idiotic $16 million per season, SIXTEEN MILLION!!! "but there's no guaranteed money" WHO CARES? it's still $16 million at a position where the next highest paid guys are making at least $5million per year less.
Revis is now averages more per year than Tom Brady & Eli Manning.
I imagine that in the coming weeks there will be footage of Dom being bent over a desk with Idjit & Revis taking turns to "show him who's the daddy."
Just an awful deal on both fronts and the best of it is Revis may have passed a physical but it's still no sure thing that he will ever return to being the player he once once (don't give me the Peterson, blah, blah, blah talk, he's the worst thing to happen to this type of injury, fans now expect everyone to come back better than ever)

Naismith

Hall of Famer

« #81 : April 22, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »

Doh, forgot about DT. I think DT and CB are the first two picks one way or the other, so you could be right. That would be a nice score if both worked out and became starters.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #82 : April 22, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »

From JBF.com...

(In no way did Idzik  "hand Dominik his Butt".../ but I suppose you're entitled to your opinion/supposition)

When John Idzik became the Jets general manager this year, trade talks began percolating, but Idzik was trying to shake down the Bucs for two first round draft picks. Idzik would not budge and, for a while, the Bucs were wondering if they were being played. This information reinforces what Dominik said publicly on SiriusXM NFL Radio about a month ago when he stated he wasn’t sure if the Jets wanted to trade Revis.

(Joe also heard of rumors, uncorroborated, that the 49ers were desperately trying to get in the mix to acquire Revis, but simply could not afford him under their salary cap.)

Still, Idzik held firm. He still wanted two first-round picks and this ransom was too rich for the Bucs. At one point, the Bucs seriously thought about turning the page and making a play for Revis on the free agent market next winter. What **CENSORED**ed the suits at One Buc Palace with that scenario was the Bucs were fearful that some owner, for example, Daniel Snyder, could gut his roster and make a play for Revis for some obscene price.

Eventually, Idzik, sensing he could not get Dominik to budge, relented on his demands of two first round picks and asked for three draft picks, with one being a first round pick. Dominik balked.

Finally last week, Joe learned that roughly four days ago, the Bucs, in so many words, told Idzik the deal was off the table if it couldn’t be completed by Tuesday (tomorrow), and they would then focus all energies on this week’s draft and the coming season.

This poker move apparently worked as Idzik began loosening his demands until the two sides finally consummated the deal Sunday.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #83 : April 22, 2013, 03:06:40 PM »

We have Dotson, who was very solid. Especially considering how much of an upgrade he was over TB and that it was his first full year of action.
We could use another player to compete for the NT position. Sure.
SLB. Meh. We would be fine with Casillas or Hayward. A 3rd DE would see the field more than the Sam. That is much more of a need, IMO.
« : April 22, 2013, 03:26:22 PM chace1986 »

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #84 : April 22, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »

Add another two or three small pieces and this defense will get real interesting in a hurry.

In Verner We Trust

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #85 : April 22, 2013, 05:37:18 PM »

Doh, forgot about DT. I think DT and CB are the first two picks one way or the other, so you could be right. That would be a nice score if both worked out and became starters.

Hello....TE.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Naismith

Hall of Famer

« #86 : April 22, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »

Hello....TE.

Oh, good point. They could draft a starting TE. They won't, but they could. :)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #87 : April 22, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »

Props Dom.

Just pushed yourself into the GOOD category. Secured himself a job for a while.

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Props to Mark Dominik « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools