Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Game of Thrones « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#15 : April 23, 2013, 07:06:20 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.  In the prologue of Feast for Crows, he said Dance With Dragons would be out a year later.  As much as I like his writing, I'm really not a fan of GRRM.

This quote is funny:

So I need to write faster. The last two books took a really long time, so Im hoping this one [the Winds of Winter] will go a little faster. But I make no promises. I found out long ago that when you look at the overall task, the cathedral you have to build, it looks so daunting that you just give up and sit down and play a video game.

I've never seen the show or read the books, but I think I am going to give the books a shot.

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 24, 2013, 12:54:25 AM

He's a Jets and Giants fan...and a Mets and Yankees fan.  One of the reasons I don't like him.  You can't be a fan of both teams.

However, he included a great football passage in one of his books.

"Belicho, a famous Volantene patriot whose unbroken succession of conquests and triumphs ended rather abruptly when he was eaten by Giants"

gone

Hall of Famer
#17 : April 24, 2013, 01:27:24 AM

He's a Jets and Giants fan...and a Mets and Yankees fan.  One of the reasons I don't like him.  You can't be a fan of both teams.

However, he included a great football passage in one of his books.

"Belicho, a famous Volantene patriot whose unbroken succession of conquests and triumphs ended rather abruptly when he was eaten by Giants"

That was just one giant -- Jared Lorenzen.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#18 : April 24, 2013, 04:07:10 AM

"The Jets, in short, got rooked. Congrats, Tampa Bay GM, you drank our milkshake."

"The best theory about this trade is that the Jets want the #1 pick overall in the 2014 draft. Cause this next season is going to be bloody painful. After which our new whizz-bang "let's give away our best player for a bag of old jockstraps" GM is going to fire Rex Ryan because, after all, that 2 - 14 record is clearly Rex's fault. "

Pretty funny stuff from ol' GRRM

Also, AMan, I'm glad to hear you say it about writing as if for TV.  I've always felt that as well when reading this series.

Great story writer, not the best writer, though.

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#19 : April 25, 2013, 07:38:51 PM

Great show, better books.  Can't wait til later this season to see when twitter absolutely explodes.

Should be episode 9 of this season that sets it afire.  I found the books easier to become more emotionally involved with than the TV show.  They're so dense I suppose it makes it easier to feel the hopelessness and f'ed up world he's created in the book -  than it is to translate that onto the screen. I remember texting  my wife, once I finished the chapter that will be covered in episode 9, and told her I can't read this series anymore. There's not many books/series etc that get that kind of visceral reaction from me.

Revis and Butt-head

Pro Bowler
#20 : March 25, 2014, 04:07:05 PM

Less than two weeks away from season 4.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 25, 2014, 04:13:09 PM

Never seen the show but really enjoyed the books.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#22 : March 26, 2014, 06:08:09 AM

I'm retracting my original post.  Gave it another chance and became obsessed with it.  Watched all 3 seasons in about 10 days and I bought the first 3 books.  Only about 30 pages to go to finish the first one. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 26, 2014, 06:11:55 AM

Even my wife, who typically hates shows like this, starting following the episodes out of the corner of her eye while I watched them and she surfed on her lap top.  I eventually caught her watching them on her own. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 26, 2014, 06:13:16 AM

Never seen the show but really enjoyed the books.
so far the show follows the books pretty closely. 

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 26, 2014, 08:55:16 AM

The show is great, they skip a lot compared to the books in terms of back story that might confuse you, so if you watch the show and supplement it with the reading, you'll be able to follow it quite a bit better. Some good acting, especially Peter Dinklage (Tyrian/Dwarf). One of my favorite shows out, we are but only a few weeks away from the season premiere!

Revis and Butt-head

Pro Bowler
#26 : March 26, 2014, 08:14:46 PM

It's cool that the premiere is the week after the WD finale.  That works out well.

shawn731

Starter

#27 : March 30, 2014, 10:16:40 AM

This season is the last book available.  I do not know how they are going to keep up with demand when the next book is not even finished.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 30, 2014, 10:32:59 AM

At the very least, producers know how the show will end. Martin made sure of that in case he passes away.

Revis and Butt-head

Pro Bowler
#29 : March 30, 2014, 03:43:50 PM

This season is the last book available.  I do not know how they are going to keep up with demand when the next book is not even finished.

Actually this season is based on the second half of book 3.

Book 4 and 5 are still left.  But the show is catching up the the books fast.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Game of Thrones « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools