Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: if martin goes down , what is the plan? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#45 : April 24, 2013, 07:28:31 PM

Martin had 370 touches last year.

Blount and Ware had 70 touches combined.

That can't continue. We need a guy that can take 150 touches a year and be productive with those touches, not just a fill in. He also needs to be a guy that can step in and start if Martin goes down. So if we use a pick on a RB it's not just for a back up. It's for a much needed piece for a run first team that expects to be valid in December.

We compare very similarly to the Texans. Same type of QB. Run first offense that takes big shots downfield. They spent a 2nd round pick on Ben Tate when they already had Arian Foster because in their offense it is that important. They lose their ability to run the ball, and ask their QB to do it all.....they are dead. Same goes for us.

A real threat #2 RB is not just a luxury. It is a need.

Who knows where we will be picking with trades and what not, but if we get to a point in the late 2nd or 3rd round, where a guy like Monte Ball or Stepfan Taylor is still there and the highest rated player on our board, then we'd be fools to pass them up.

Sounds great in theory but this staff has no intentions of using a #2. They are going to run martin into the ground because he is the "bell cow."  Schiano made ir clear from the get go they arent going to run a 2 back system.

Gotta Link? You sound like you are drawing your own conclusions based on your own negative outlook. Besides, splitting touches 300/150 instead of 370/70.....is not a two back system. It's just common sense. So is having a real option as back up in case of injury. I don't think anyone is saying split touches 50/50 between Martin and someone else. I agree with Schiano that that does not work. You need a bell cow, but we are a run first team with an unreliable quarterback. If our offense is dependent on our RBs getting nearly 500 touches per season, then we need a dependable #2 RB that can produce...for many reasons.

Never said 50/50. You want to take it to an extreme feel free. This staff didnt put in any other back except on 3rd down. You say nearly 400 touches is way to much then suggest a lower total. I did the same. Most "2 back systems are closer to a 60/40 -70/30 split. Bucs would be lucky to get to that mark. Youre disagreeing with me for saying the same thing.

What about schiano and his bell cow makes you think another rb will even sniff 100 touches? Martin had plenty of games with a crap ton of touches and little production and even then another rb didnt see playing time.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#46 : April 24, 2013, 07:30:29 PM

All other players for the bucs combined(wbs, rbs, wrs)idnt get 100 touches in the run game last year.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#47 : April 24, 2013, 07:34:17 PM

All other players for the bucs combined(wbs, rbs, wrs)idnt get 100 touches in the run game last year.

Well why would WRs and TEs be running the ball?

Look man, Blount and Ware had 70 touches combined because Blount isn't trusted and Ware isn't productive. If we had a solid #2 that did everything well, then I'm sure he would get more touches.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#48 : April 24, 2013, 07:40:18 PM

Well why would WRs and TEs be running the ball?

Look man, Blount and Ware had 70 touches combined because Blount isn't trusted and Ware isn't productive. If we had a solid #2 that did everything well, then I'm sure he would get more touches.

I included all rush attempts. There are these things called wr reverses and end arounds. Screen that go behind the qb are also considered a run. I included aver single touch to prove this staff has no intention of giving any other rb not named martin 150 touches a year.

Schianos comments about the run game reiterate this. Believe what you want but all facts and signs point to it not happening.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#49 : April 24, 2013, 08:24:33 PM

There is no need for this thread. Bad juju you are putting on us man.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#50 : April 24, 2013, 09:33:15 PM

Forgot about Leonard...

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#51 : April 24, 2013, 09:33:45 PM

VERY well stated!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

DerekPHFD

Rookie

#52 : April 24, 2013, 10:43:15 PM

Back up running backs are just that.. back ups. I understand we all want a ben tate (round 2) rashard jennings (round 7)  michael turner (round 5). but there is also priest holmes, LGB, and arian fosters of the world. to spend a pick on a position where we have proven depth (at least for now) is silly. ride doug til the wheels fall off then go from there there.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#53 : April 24, 2013, 10:59:02 PM

Back up running backs are just that.. back ups.

Sean Payton would disagree.... and so do i.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

DerekPHFD

Rookie

#54 : April 25, 2013, 12:01:33 AM

Back up running backs are just that.. back ups.

Sean Payton would disagree.... and so do i.

sean payton drafted a RB in round 1. doubt it was to be a backup.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#55 : April 25, 2013, 12:11:07 AM

He already had Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, and Darren Sproles on the roster when he spent a 1st on Mark Ingram. Even gave up quite a bit to move up and get him....so obviously he believes RBs are very important. Even in the most pass happy QB based offense in the league.

DerekPHFD

Rookie

#56 : April 25, 2013, 12:26:29 AM

He already had Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, and Darren Sproles on the roster when he spent a 1st on Mark Ingram. Even gave up quite a bit to move up and get him....so obviously he believes RBs are very important. Even in the most pass happy QB based offense in the league.

thomas and ivory were both undrafted... and sproles was a free agent.... so would that not prove not to waste a pick on a running back when ingram is behind them on the depth chart? or are you just overestimating payton on his judge of running back talent. he did take reggie bush 2 overall. and ingram in round one. no other team has drafted 2 running backs in the first round over that span, except indy, and addai and brown played like a feature back for them... maybe, just maybe, they were looking for a number 1 running back because you can find a backup anywhere, but a true number one you have to make an effort to get?

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#57 : April 25, 2013, 01:11:40 AM

Michael Smith?? He is still on the roster right? Guys got some speed. Didn't see much of him last year but I'm hoping that was just him adjusting to the NFL and a year on the practice squad smoothed out some of those edges.
That's what I'm saying

Me too

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#58 : April 25, 2013, 01:43:13 AM

This.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#59 : April 25, 2013, 01:44:25 AM

thomas and ivory were both undrafted... and sproles was a free agent.... so would that not prove not to waste a pick on a running back when ingram is behind them on the depth chart? or are you just overestimating payton on his judge of running back talent. he did take reggie bush 2 overall. and ingram in round one. no other team has drafted 2 running backs in the first round over that span, except indy, and addai and brown played like a feature back for them... maybe, just maybe, they were looking for a number 1 running back because you can find a backup anywhere, but a true number one you have to make an effort to get?

Sounds crazy. Lol

Bucs may snag a hb, but it wont be until round 4 or later unless a ridiculous value presents itself. Even then, they will likely be just a backup. Everything this staff has said and done points to the fact of riding one guys shoulders.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: if martin goes down , what is the plan? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools