Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If a good RB slips.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 24, 2013, 03:40:19 PM

Taylor goes at the top of round 6 in Scouts, Inc.'s mock. Ball is a late second-rounder in that one.

I'm guessing, but I think the rationale behind FRG's "that would be awful" isn't that Taylor or Ball are bad players necessarily (though he may believe that), but that taking another running back high would be a dumb opportunity cost for a team that doesn't appear inclined to run a committee backfield.
No, I think they both have low talent for 2nd or 3rd round picks and are products of the system. Both fared very poor in the speed score and don't appear to have the explosiveness to be legit NFL backs. I don't think a 3rd or 4th round running back would be bad for the Bucs. Whether the team wants a committee or not, history shows that running backs get injured. You'd better be ready.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#31 : April 24, 2013, 03:43:20 PM

I stand corrected then.

I like Ball and Taylor at certain rounds, but not in the top 3, and I'm pretty sure Taylor falls quite a bit. I

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#32 : April 24, 2013, 03:44:16 PM

And that is all I'm saying. In a run first offense, and solid #2 isn't a luxury.

Draft Aaron Donald

BucD

Hall of Famer

#33 : April 24, 2013, 03:48:48 PM

Man to think of a Doug Martin and Montee Ball backfield...sick...

BUT I think he goes too early for what round they (MD, Schiano) are thinking for a second RB.

I do like Taylor, though.  He would be a nice #2.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#34 : April 24, 2013, 03:54:17 PM

The thing with Taylor, I will admit that he lacks the explosive speed/quickness to be elite....but he is still a helluva runner due to his vision, balance, juke moves, and toughness. What really stands out though if you watch all his games, especially this last season, is his pass protection and ability as a receiver. His running ability might be a notch below "blue chip" but his pass protection and receiving skills are as good as I've seen from a college running back. To me, that adds a lot of value in today's NFL.

Draft Aaron Donald

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#35 : April 24, 2013, 03:58:08 PM

I agree with just about everything you say about Taylor, JD, but there is a reason that RBs fall every year. Because those attributes are paid lip-service to while speed/quickness is elevated.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 24, 2013, 03:58:22 PM

The thing with Taylor, I will admit that he lacks the explosive speed/quickness to be elite....but he is still a helluva runner due to his vision, balance, juke moves, and toughness. What really stands out though if you watch all his games, especially this last season, is his pass protection and ability as a receiver. His running ability might be a notch below "blue chip" but his pass protection and receiving skills are as good as I've seen from a college running back. To me, that adds a lot of value in today's NFL.
Can't you just sign Brian Leonard to do that? I thought the point of drafting running backs was to get young legs with explosiveness before they get beat up playing for some other team.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#37 : April 24, 2013, 04:02:40 PM

Lacy is a bust, I see nothing to like about that guy. Slowwwwwwwwwww

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 24, 2013, 04:07:40 PM

Lacy is a bust, I see nothing to like about that guy. Slowwwwwwwwwww
Wouldn't totally surprise me.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 24, 2013, 04:12:53 PM

I do find it interesting that they have shown interest in Le'Veon Bell who is basically LeGarrette Blount 2.0 in body type, running style/attributes.  Although he doesn't have the past/present character question marks and issues etc.

Would find it funny if they traded Blount during the draft only to draft Bell later.  lol

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 24, 2013, 04:24:00 PM

I do find it interesting that they have shown interest in Le'Veon Bell who is basically LeGarrette Blount 2.0 in body type, running style/attributes.  Although he doesn't have the past/present character question marks and issues etc.

Would find it funny if they traded Blount during the draft only to draft Bell later.  lol
I haven't watched any tape on Bell but do see he caught 67 passes the last two years so it would seem he's a much bigger contributor in the passing game than Blount. He also had an insane speed score so he's more explosive, too.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 24, 2013, 04:27:49 PM

I haven't watched any tape on Bell but do see he caught 67 passes the last two years so it would seem he's a much bigger contributor in the passing game than Blount. He also had an insane speed score so he's more explosive, too.

Well yea, but I think Blount isn't as bad of a pass catching RB out of the backfield as some portray him as, but I will concede that Bell is probably better at it.  Although, the biggest knock on Blount's game has always been in pass protection, which coincidentally enough, is the same knock on Bell.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#42 : April 24, 2013, 04:31:29 PM

Blount sucks as a receiver. Every practice I attended over the past two years was filled with groans from the audience after repeated drops by Blount. He would consistently bobble and drop very easy 5 yard passes.

Draft Aaron Donald

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 24, 2013, 04:36:20 PM

Well yea, but I think Blount isn't as bad of a pass catching RB out of the backfield as some portray him as, but I will concede that Bell is probably better at it.  Although, the biggest knock on Blount's game has always been in pass protection, which coincidentally enough, is the same knock on Bell.
That may be the case, but some players simply haven't been taught passing schemes and they do get better at protection. Not all players do, like Blount, but I don't think that hsould be a deal breaker for Bell. We already have Leonard to back up on 3rd down. Bell could learn behind the scenes without having to get into the games.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#44 : April 24, 2013, 04:40:14 PM

I think Leonard was brought in for short yardage situations and his Schiano connection. We need a guy we can rely on to take over for Martin if he does down, Leonard is not that guy. I will be shocked if RB is not one of the first 3 picks.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If a good RB slips.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools