Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Most Bad Ass (Hyperbole) Secondary in the NFL « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 24, 2013, 01:01:59 PM

Its just his opinion. I kind of agree with him. We havent seen them play yet so we have no idea how good they will be.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#16 : April 24, 2013, 01:07:23 PM

Something to consider is that a secondary is only as good as it's weakest link allows, Wright is utter trash.
Also Barber isn't yet a part of that secondary, if he decides to retire the depth is awful, even if he returns he's still at safety so depth at corner is needed.
As far as Barron goes who knows, he was just a rookie but he needs to take that next step in year 2.
Then there is the fact that we really can't know how Revis will come back until he actually takes the field and proves it.

IMO Seattle still has the most bad ass secondary, for now we might have the most over hyped and overpaid secondary.

With Revis, Barron, Goldson, Wright, and potential round 2 or 3 CB prospect, you think teams are going to continue throwing 300+ yards a game on us because of Wright?
Too many question to still be answered before that can be answered.
What if we didn't get the Revis everybody just assumes we're getting and instead he is a shadow of his former self?
What if Goldson is the fraud many consider him to be and he's not close to being among the best in the league, a guy whose hype came from a few highlight hits while playing for a great overall D?
What if Barron doesn't take the next step or god forbid takes a step backwards, we've seen that all too often in Tampa.
What if instead of the next great rookie CB we end up with Myron Lewis version 2.0?

I hope everything goes to plan and will be as happy as anyone if it works out but those who are expecting & assuming the best  will happen while not even entertaining the chance things could go tits up are setting themselves up for a massive crash back down to earth if something does happen.
Hope for the best but plan for the worst and expect something in the middle.

Revis a shadow of his former self makes no sense to me. There are two options, either he's moving at 100% the same as he used to, or he's lost a step. Anyone who has actually seen Revis and his play style knows that a slower Revis does not even come close to reducing him to "a shadow of his former self." Most of the reasons why Revis is the best corner is because he physically abuses receivers with his hands, he plays as dirty as he can without getting flags thrown, and he's one of the smartest and most technically sound corners in the league. There's so much that he brings to the defense that won't be affected by a weaker knee.

What if Goldson is a fraud? This is a rediculous arguing point. He's a probowl safety and regarded in the top 5 at his position. So if you want to say what if his defense made him look better than he is then fine. Think of him as a top 10 safety then. What we do know about him is he plays like he wants to kill you, and he's not afraid of flying in like explosive missile regardless of whether its a huge RB with the ball, a WR, or a TE. Those are going to be nice attributes to have from our safety roaming around the same backfield as Revis and another safety who likes to light people up.

What if Barron takes a step backward? Thats another horrible point. We can say that every year about every player then. What if the whole team takes a step backwards? Regardless of past exceptions lets stick with the logical and fair assumption that our first round picks get a little better in year 2. 

What if our rookie CB ends up like Myron Lewis 2.0? Well if you go back to that draft class, the mid round corner backs were never potential starting prospects, they were all project guys. Myron Lewis was drafted in the third round yet you couldn't find one full game of his online. With this years draft class, the 2nd and 3rd round guys are prospects that scouts and analysts are deeming as potential starters and we have half of there games or more on the internet. We can all see that for ourselves. There is way less unknown about this years CB prospects as there was with Myron Lewis when we drafted him. We never know how any prospect will fair in the NFL but we can for sure know that everyone of the mid round corners are better then Myron Lewis was as college football prospect.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 24, 2013, 01:22:55 PM

at last check Barron and Goldson are more of a in the box type of safety.  Not to mention Revis is coming off a major injury that generally takes over a year to get back from at 100 percent. Just because peterson came back like he did doesnt mean everyone will

The average time for healing an injury of revis's type is nine months. He's had eight, and has been told by doctor(s) he's cleared to already run fully on it.

And the last I checked, goldson was signed, not only as a good player, but because Barron can also go back to his natural position.

You're reaching for a bad outcome, but sorry, it's not going to happen. This defense will be much improved as long as at least one of them is out on the field.

We have a possible outcome where barber is optional on certain downs, revis on his island, and two safties that aren't bad whatsoever. Sliding coverage over to wright is something I'm sure they've already thought of as well. As much as mark has been hit by the injury bug, and invested into it, I'm positive he did his homework on this one.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 24, 2013, 01:36:46 PM

Something to consider is that a secondary is only as good as it's weakest link allows, Wright is utter trash.
Also Barber isn't yet a part of that secondary, if he decides to retire the depth is awful, even if he returns he's still at safety so depth at corner is needed.
As far as Barron goes who knows, he was just a rookie but he needs to take that next step in year 2.
Then there is the fact that we really can't know how Revis will come back until he actually takes the field and proves it.

IMO Seattle still has the most bad ass secondary, for now we might have the most over hyped and overpaid secondary.

Seriouly dude. Why are you even a Bucs fan then? Go on up the Pacific NW and be a Seahawks fan.

The Bucs have done nothing but improve the Defense with the additions of Goldson and Revis. The Optimism is high. Enjoy the ride or move on.
I'm sorry, I didn't realise that in order to be a fan you had to bury your head in the sand and proclaim every single little thing to do with the Bucs as being the greatest, ignoring reality.

Do you think Freeman is a better QB than Brady?
You better or why are you even a Bucs fan? Go be a Pats fan.

I prefer to think of my glass half full. Not half empty.

Another Moron for my ignore list. Welcome. now go away.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#19 : April 24, 2013, 01:41:15 PM

With Revis, Barron, Goldson, Wright, and potential round 2 or 3 CB prospect, you think teams are going to continue throwing 300+ yards a game on us because of Wright?
What if we didn't get the Revis everybody just assumes we're getting and instead he is a shadow of his former self?
What if Goldson is the fraud many consider him to be and he's not close to being among the best in the league, a guy whose hype came from a few highlight hits while playing for a great overall D?
What if Barron doesn't take the next step or god forbid takes a step backwards, we've seen that all too often in Tampa.
What if instead of the next great rookie CB we end up with Myron Lewis version 2.0?

I hope everything goes to plan and will be as happy as anyone if it works out but those who are expecting & assuming the best  will happen while not even entertaining the chance things could go tits up are setting themselves up for a massive crash back down to earth if something does happen.

Revis a shadow of his former self makes no sense to me. There are two options, either he's moving at 100% the same as he used to, or he's lost a step. Anyone who has actually seen Revis and his play style knows that a slower Revis does not even come close to reducing him to "a shadow of his former self." Most of the reasons why Revis is the best corner is because he physically abuses receivers with his hands, he plays as dirty as he can without getting flags thrown, and he's one of the smartest and most technically sound corners in the league. There's so much that he brings to the defense that won't be affected by a weaker knee.

What if Goldson is a fraud? This is a rediculous arguing point. He's a probowl safety and regarded in the top 5 at his position. So if you want to say what if his defense made him look better than he is then fine. Think of him as a top 10 safety then. What we do know about him is he plays like he wants to kill you, and he's not afraid of flying in like explosive missile regardless of whether its a huge RB with the ball, a WR, or a TE. Those are going to be nice attributes to have from our safety roaming around the same backfield as Revis and another safety who likes to light people up.

What if Barron takes a step backward? Thats another horrible point. We can say that every year about every player then. What if the whole team takes a step backwards? Regardless of past exceptions lets stick with the logical and fair assumption that our first round picks get a little better in year 2. 

What if our rookie CB ends up like Myron Lewis 2.0? Well if you go back to that draft class, the mid round corner backs were never potential starting prospects, they were all project guys. Myron Lewis was drafted in the third round yet you couldn't find one full game of his online. With this years draft class, the 2nd and 3rd round guys are prospects that scouts and analysts are deeming as potential starters and we have half of there games or more on the internet. We can all see that for ourselves. There is way less unknown about this years CB prospects as there was with Myron Lewis when we drafted him. We never know how any prospect will fair in the NFL but we can for sure know that everyone of the mid round corners are better then Myron Lewis was as college football prospect.

Pepsi,

Some fans are just never happy unless they are complaining about someone or something. Sad state of human nature.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 24, 2013, 02:47:07 PM

Pepsi,

Some fans are just never happy unless they are complaining about someone or something. Sad state of human nature.
See there is a difference between complaining and being realistic.
I'm very happy with parts of the team, upset with the state of others and have questions about the rest.
Being a fan doesn't mean you have to back every move and praise everything, it's ok to have issues as long as at the end of it all you still want to see the team win.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 24, 2013, 02:57:44 PM

Its just his opinion. I kind of agree with him. We havent seen them play yet so we have no idea how good they will be.

Completely agree. I understand TBT's sentiment on this. Sure, we can look at highlight vids all we want...but until proven otherwise...this secondary is not better than the best secondary in football up in Seattle. Both Wright and Barron will need to be better in coverage. Period.

at last check Barron and Goldson are more of a in the box type of safety.  Not to mention Revis is coming off a major injury that generally takes over a year to get back from at 100 percent. Just because peterson came back like he did doesnt mean everyone will

Maybe so, but the Bucs will most likely play their safeties similar to last year. Which was having 2 safeties deep and out of the box on 83.7% of plays. So Barron and Goldson will have to be studs at covering those deep halves.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

GatorBuc85

Pro Bowler

#22 : April 24, 2013, 03:11:58 PM

I like how Steve Smith acts like the Barron hit wasn't s**t but then you can see the pain in his face.

Seriouly dude. Why are you even a Bucs fan then? Go on up the Pacific NW and be a Seahawks fan.

The Bucs have done nothing but improve the Defense with the additions of Goldson and Revis. The Optimism is high. Enjoy the ride or move on.
He makes some great points. Take of the red and pewter glasses.

-Chase

Our fans suck!

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 24, 2013, 03:36:29 PM

I'm really excited about our starting DB's this season but the "Most Bad Ass secondary in the NFL" is the Legion of Boom.

Not trying to rain on anybody's parade but these guys are rough!

: April 24, 2013, 03:41:58 PM Tampa-Two

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#24 : April 24, 2013, 03:55:46 PM

Wow, the man was just trying to show some spirit and throw a couple highlight reels out. 

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 24, 2013, 03:58:59 PM

Wow, the man was just trying to show some spirit and throw a couple highlight reels out.

...he knew what he was doing... >:(
 ;)

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 24, 2013, 04:04:01 PM

...he knew what he was doing... >:(
 ;)

Haha, I had to change the damn thread title, I offended too many Seahawks fans on this board. Seriously though, of course the Seahawks are up there for best secondaries in the league, if not the best. I'm just **CENSORED**ing pumped for this year. Watch those damn videos and tell me how you're not haha.

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 24, 2013, 04:04:28 PM

One thing is for sure, the secondary will not be lacking in the swagger department.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
#28 : April 24, 2013, 04:04:39 PM

playoffs 1st, best secondary 2nd

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

bill_kir

Starter

#29 : April 24, 2013, 04:58:12 PM

i understand your viewpoint and appreciate your opinion but i prefer to look at it as ...
What if we get the Revis that is %100 healthy AND has a chip on his shoulder to go out and prove he is the best?
What if it turns out that Goldson was the cornerstone piece of that great San Fran D, what if his presence on the field makes the D that much better?
What if Barron takes the next step and becomes an elite safety in the league?
What if in the middle rounds they grab the steal of the draft at CB?

still unanswered questions but i prefer to be optimistic
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Most Bad Ass (Hyperbole) Secondary in the NFL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools