Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What do you see/predict around the NFC South? « previous next »
Page: 1

bucinsouthFL

Starter

: April 23, 2013, 06:48:41 PM

Saints: A guy like Brees is always going to give the Saints a fighting chance. Hate the team, but man it's really something to watch Brees when he is in the zone. Payton coming back will improve the team. I don't think Rob Ryan is going to make the defense better, and I don't see the defense fitting the 3-4. I do think the overall quality of the team will rise with their head coach back.

Falcons: Father time is going to catch up with that defense. I don't see it getting any better. It's not going to be terrible, but I don't see it producing many big time plays. The Falcons play great defense by not making mistakes and not beating themselves. Matt Ryan has truly arrived however and I love the Steven Jackson pick up.

Panthers: Really came on late towards the end of the season. Just truly a team in a terrible cap situation. I think Cam is the next great QB in this league. Yeah I said it haha. Just from a pure talent standpoint it's all there, and although some may view him as **CENSORED**y, I think the guy just plays with a ton of swag, and I don't mind that. Outside of the buc killer steve smith though, he just does not have the weapons. The defense can get to the QB and is solid however.

Although most pundits have the NFC south pegged as a two team race between the Saints and Falcons, I think it's going to be anyone's division. One thing we do boast however is the potential to play great on both sides of the ball. Our offense was good last year, right outside of the top 10 in scoring, and our defense had the best run D (not a fluke, when watching the TFLs and consistent 3rd and longs that teams just picked up through the air) and Revis can potentially change the pass defense. Lots of huge "ifs" here but hey its the offseason. 

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#1 : April 24, 2013, 11:52:52 AM

I could see the Falcons taking a step back from 2012. They won a lot  of close games. They've had major subtractions on defense, and their defense was exposed in the playoffs. To both Seattle & San Fran they blew 20 point leads. They could still be a playoff team, but they will have to outscore a lot of their opponents. 1st place schedule could be the difference from being the Division winner or a possible Wild Card team.

Saints, as always will have a explosive offense. Holding this offense to a FG should be considered a success. Defensively, they are a liability, as shown in 2012. their biggest question will be how quickly or if Rob Ryan can turn around their defense. I expect them to be the Division winner, barring any significant injury to Brees.

Panthers, offensively they can be explosive at times. But they have to have a balnced attack. They can't put it all on Cam as he's too streaky with his decision making. If they have a commitment to the run game, mix in play action passing to their tight end Greg Olsen, they can be setup for success. But as with the other two teams mentioned they will have to outscore teams as their defense is not dominant.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 24, 2013, 12:06:25 PM

I'm going to reserve complete judgement until after the draft, but right now the Saints just seem a little to thin at certain areas to really contend for the division IMO. You never write off Brees, but right now he just doesn't have enough help.

The Panthers need to improve their secondary and overall defense, if they do Cam can keep their offense moving (except when they play us) and they can contend.

The Falcons are a very talented team. We like to bash them, but they won all the games they did for a reason.  After the Patriots they have been probably the most consistent regular regular season team for the last few years. If they were to get some legit pass rushers, I'd consider them a definite Superbowl contender.

We have the highest potential out of all of the teams in the division. We have a number of 'ifs' in young guys that have to step up but we don't have the glaring holes that the other NFC South teams have. We've also got a one of a kind player in Revis.
: April 24, 2013, 12:12:01 PM BucsBay

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#3 : April 24, 2013, 12:34:43 PM

Atlanta in decline, you have to have a little luck wining all those close games. We match up better against them too.
Saints on the rise for all the reasons stated. The defense will be better IMO. Ryan can coach. Brees is timeless.
The Panthers are the unknown. Which Cam are we playing?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 24, 2013, 12:40:41 PM

I see a split with Atl and NO. We beat Carolina both times again. Its going to come down to the wire who wins the NFC S. If we stay healthy and take care of business outside the division as well as split those games, we could win it. Its going to be very competitive I know this much.

m_j

Starter

#5 : April 24, 2013, 12:48:43 PM

depends if we stay healthy. if yes we might climb up to 10-6 and hope for WC, if not then it doesn't matter anyway

nitey

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 24, 2013, 01:17:50 PM

Well I can see why most analysts consider Tampa as the weakest of the four teams in our division. Two years ago, we won 10 games and looked like we were going in the right direction, the following year, we started off shaky but won some close games and then collapsed. Then last year we did pretty much the same thing. Writers tend to cross off our rush defense because our pass defense was so bad and our defensive rankings over the last several years have been rock bottom. So the natural thing to do is believe we won't improve or if we do improve it will be in a small increment. Even if we have a successful draft. I suspect almost all the sports writers will list us 3rd or 4th in our division and list us with 6 to 8 wins on the year. Almost no one believes we will be able to compete with Atlanta or New Orleans and most will believe that even Carolina will be better than us. And some of that is going to be driven by the fact that the fans apparently don't support their team because of the blackouts.

That's the perception.

What the Bucs need to do is to change that perception as sure as they did it in 1997 under Dungy. There are pieces in place for this to be a very good team, but there are players that we are all counting on to fulfill their potential or continue to do so. Atlanta and New Orleans have proven track records over several seasons that leads others to believe that they can and will have successful seasons again. The fact is, both teams are getting older and play tougher schedules, both are responding to changes to their roster and loss of talent. In Atlanta's case, I see them pretty much where the Bucs were in 2002, if they can stay healthy, they should be pretty good again this year. However, I think the Saints, even with Brees, are in decline. I wouldn't be overly surprised if the team falls to 3rd or even 4th in our division. The are implementing a whole new defensive scheme with the wrong personnel and no cap space to find better fitting players. Their offensive line is suspect and I'm not convinced that their wide receivers are as good as they once were. Carolina, has some talent in the running game, but really only one reliable wide receiver and also has problems along the offensive line. On the defense, their secondary is probably the least talented in the division.

Anyway, I think for the most part, baring significant injuries, we should be the #2 team in the division this year. IF all the players that we hope play to their potential, we might be better, but I'm thinking that some will, some will take a step back and some will ultimately fail and disappoint. We'll be better, but not quite there.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 24, 2013, 01:20:56 PM

I see the Falcons on a downward spiral, I see the Panthers trending up but not quite there yet, and us pushing a close second. I think the Saints will control the division this upcoming year.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 24, 2013, 01:24:14 PM

Split with ATL

Sweep the Panties

Sweep the Aints.. That 3-4 defense should be a mess.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 24, 2013, 01:47:17 PM

Saints:  They get caught cheating (again) and with or without Payton they get exposed on offense. win/loss 7-9

Falcons: The only real contenders besides the bucs at this point. Their defense wears out towards seasons end, but their offense suffers a loss or two, however still remain as effective as ever. Win/loss 9-7

Alternate scenario- Ryan gets injured in game two for hold onto the ball too long.

Panthers: They remain in the cellar as offense stalls. Cam gets ticked many times over, then benched (think Donovan). Revis offers his shoulder to cry on. win-loss 6-10

Bucs: A team on the up and up with a whole lot of people from players, to coaches, and even the GM needing a playoff birth. A very violent backfield and some incredible weapons on offense will propell them into the next level. We see a more polished buc team that has a much more consistant game than last season. It also doesn't hurt that they have the schedule in their favor. Game one is a must win. Win/loss 10-6

Edit: I still believe it's too soon to do this. With players traded, cuts made, and the draft soon approaching, idk if we can fairly assume anything. The rosters could dramatically change, or new playmakers introduced on teams we didn't expect them to be on. Still, it's all in fun.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What do you see/predict around the NFC South? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools