Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Haloti Ngata « previous next »
Page: 1 2

pewter_pirate

Rookie

: April 24, 2013, 01:53:31 PM

I just want everyone to remember this guy supposedly had no motor was overweight and got bad reviews before being drafted. I'm only 25 but I remmember players getting drafted then riding the pine to learn their position. You may ask whats my point. Well its to not over look someone who can improve aka Magus hunt. Or for that matter anyone who lacks a motor or doesn't have this or that. Need i remind you how many of are 2ND round draft picks are on this team currently.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 24, 2013, 02:00:27 PM

Ngata landed on a good team where his only job is to take on double teams. He wouldnt be a prowbowler had he landed in Cleveland or somewhere else.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

pewter_pirate

Rookie

#2 : April 24, 2013, 02:00:47 PM

Alfred morris slipped to the 7 round why?

acacius

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 24, 2013, 02:03:31 PM

Erm, Ngata went 12th overall, didn't he?  He started every game of his rookie season, didn't he?  Who exactly was it that was saying he had no motor and gave him bad reviews before the draft?  I am baffled by this comparison.
: April 24, 2013, 02:05:12 PM acacius

acacius

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 24, 2013, 02:04:01 PM

Ngata landed on a good team where his only job is to take on double teams.
This is not true.

pewter_pirate

Rookie

#5 : April 24, 2013, 02:12:43 PM

Everyone... he may have went 12th but if you remember there was nothing but "knocks" on him from every analyst that had anything to say

pewter_pirate

Rookie

#6 : April 24, 2013, 02:19:11 PM

Positives

At 6-foot-4, 338 pounds, Ngata has fantastic size and can easily hang with the big boys in the NFL. He is a fantastic athlete, especially considering he plays rugby, and is "unblockable" at times. Ngata can collapse the pocket as well as any other tackle and is a guy who always seems to be making a big play.

The mammoth of a man can bench press 485 pounds and can squat 585 pounds, so you know he has great strength as well. His versatility will also allow him to be drafted highly, as he has the ability to play nose tackle in a 3-4 defense or in a penetrating one-gap defense as well. He can stuff the run with the best of them and is regarded by Oregon coaches as one of the smartest players on the field.

Negatives

Physically, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Ngata. Most of the issues concerning him, however, are in his head. The "lazy" label has been placed on him by some scouts, and his consistency has also been brought into question.

It also took him a longer time than expect to recover from the ACL injury, so teams may wonder how that has affected his game. For the record, after his 2004 and 2005 seasons, it is hard to imagine it affected him in a negative fashion. While he has the ability and intelligence, his technique still needs some fine tuning.

Draft Placement

When taking everything into account, it is quite obvious that Ngata is a top-10 prospect. There is a slight possibility that he could be taken as high as No. 5 overall, where the Green Bay Packers are looking for a defensive player to dominate the offense. He could also end up in San Francisco to play nose tackle in their young 3-4 defense, while the Oakland Raiders and Buffalo Bills are teams that should definitely pounce on him with their top pick.

Sign up for KFFL's Draft Central Complete and you will gain access to Inside the League for the inside scoop ranging from which agents are representing which player to pro day results as well as much more in-depth analysis. You also receive GM Jr.'s Guide NFL Draft Guide, written by a former NFL scout who knows how to study and review players accurately as well as objectively. To top it all off, you will receive free access to KFFL's Hot Off the Wire Complete - the industry's leading NFL news service that brings you much more than news. KFFL works with individuals in the know and not hacks who pretend to know

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/a.php/47708/nfl/Haloti-Ngata--DT--Oregon-Ducks#ixzz2RPFH97Vn

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 24, 2013, 02:23:22 PM

Ngata had some of the concerns just about every 350 lb defensive lineman has, but he was generally regarded as a really good prospect.

Positives: Has a tall, massive frame with thick upper body muscle, a very big bubble, long legs and arms, large hands and a sudden burst coming off the snap Shocks blockers back with his strength and quickness coming out of his stance, creating an advantage that he will retain Needs to play lower in his pads, but he sinks his hips, generates a heavy anchor and consistently holds his ground at the point of attack Very quick and strong with his hands, as he discards blocks almost immediately Plays with good leverage to be dominant in a two-gap system (can stall double-team action) Can recover and create a pile or split double teams Has excellent balance and is rarely off his feet (except sometimes when he over-pursues from the backside) Sure tackler who can either drag down or collide and wrap Physical striker in tight quarters.

Negatives: Sometimes gets too top-heavy, as he will lunge and over-pursue, especially when coming from the backside Has outstanding hand strength, but needs to do a better job of using them to protect his feet from low blocks Not the most instinctive player on the field and sometimes struggles to locate the ball Lacks an array of pass rush moves and is best when utilized as a bull rusher due to his strong base and quick burst Can be late diagnosing schemes Tends to wear down late in games and despite his speed, he will tire when having to run long distances.

Ngata is a big, physical athlete with a thick, hard body, long arms, big bubble and hands. He is a rare-sized defender who is not only light on his feet, but also possesses very impressive strength. He shows a fluid running stride and a good feel for leverage and balance. His straight-line charge is explosive and he generates a bone-jarring hand punch coming off the snap.

Ngata's is a disruptive force who commands constant double teams. He can be sudden charging from the backside and shocks blockers back on their heels with his quickness and strength. He holds his ground firmly at the point of attack, but will struggle to disengage when he gets high in his stance, letting blockers attack his body. He plays with a good motor, but does run out of gas late in games. He is best served playing in-line, where he can handle multiple blockers to free up his edge rushers and blitzers.

When Ngata plays at a proper pad level, he shows excellent tools for the two-gap system. He uses his hands effectively, but needs to do a better job of protecting his legs from low blocks (both of his knee injuries came vs. low blocks). Even when his pad level is high, he has the ability to set, anchor and hold ground at the point of attack. He is also active with his hands to discard blocks.

As dominant as he can be taking out the trash, he is really not a great pass rusher. He is late at times locating the quarterback in backside pursuit and lacks an array of pass rush moves to get an edge on the offensive guard. However, he shows good force as a bull rusher shooting the gaps and gets a good push when he sees a free lane. When he spots the ball, he is capable of getting off his blocks and closing on the play.

Ngata is not effective when used in long pursuit, as he will tire running distances. He has the body control to change direction working down the line, but is more effective when used in containment rather than in pursuit. He can collide and wrap with effectiveness and is a physical striker in closed quarters, tossing blockers around while showing urgency to make the play.

As a pass rusher, he gets some push, but does not generate a quick swim move. As a bull rusher, he simply destroys offensive guards and centers in his path. He can mash the pocket with good power, but even with his timed speed, he will labor when having to chase into the second level. He keeps his feet moving through traffic in attempts to penetrate and shows natural hand usage to defeat combo blocks. However, he can get a bit top heavy, resulting in him lunging and overextending at times (mostly in backside pursuit).

Ngata is much stronger and physical than Ted Washington, but like Washington, he is best when asked to bull rush or take on multiple blockers. He will never generate gaudy statistics, but his presence on the field will allow other linemen to not worry about double-team action to make the play. His knee injuries are a concern, but considering he will mostly serve as an anchor in the middle of the field, few teams will let that weigh in their draft factor. In a two-gap system, he could dominate immediately.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/417708

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 24, 2013, 02:23:33 PM

If you work hard enough...you can convince yourself of anything.

Now Ngata = Hunt? Wow....

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 24, 2013, 02:25:43 PM

That was definitely not the OP's point.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 24, 2013, 02:36:02 PM

That was definitely not the OP's point.

Like I said, if you work hard enough you can convince yourself of anything.

\"I seen his aura or whatever...I seen it...it\'s orange...\"
- Un-named source on Lovie Smith

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 24, 2013, 02:42:03 PM

Alfred morris slipped to the 7 round why?

Not the best example because so many late round/undrafted guys explode in the Shanahan/Kubiak system.

Teams overthink the draft though. That's why really good players fall for no reason...especially to teams like Baltimore who scoop them up in the late 1st and 2nd rounds.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 24, 2013, 02:47:32 PM

If you work hard enough...you can convince yourself of anything.

Just...wow.

Truly baffling that people are in love this this guy. I honestly wonder...If PR wouldn't have named him in their last two mocks...would anyone even be mentioning him...?

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

pewter_pirate

Rookie

#13 : April 24, 2013, 03:53:34 PM

Chase I do agree with BucDaFackUp. Margus may bust or he can go on to bust it up in the nfl. He is just one player. I guess my point is no one truly knows unless your drafting dan marino.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 24, 2013, 04:02:48 PM

Chase I do agree with BucDaFackUp. Margus may bust or he can go on to bust it up in the nfl. He is just one player. I guess my point is no one truly knows unless your drafting dan marino.

Of course, every player drafted has the potential to bust.

That said, I would much rather draft a player who was not older than my 4th(going on 5th) year QB, or a player who actually dominated and produced in college, and did so against teams with a little more talent than UCF, Memphis, Tulane, UTEP, Southern Miss, East Carolina, Marshall, UAB, Tulsa, Rice, and Houston.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Haloti Ngata « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools