Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Here's to hoping for a more "free" Josh Freeman « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Madman

Hall of Famer
#45 : April 29, 2013, 11:28:17 AM

I don't think anyone is advocating Vick like running. Talking Aaron Rodgers or Cam Newtown... extend plays with your feet and make a big run when it's there. Like Free did in 2010.

Cam? Really?  Dude has over 100 carries each season. Thats vick like running. Rodgers is closer to 60per year and freeman isnt too far behind those totals. Were taliing the difference of 20 or so carries over freemans career to average around that 60 mark.

I honestly think most people have no idea of what qbs in the nfl are putting up for rushing totals.

Freeman had a career low 39 attempts last year for a paltry 139 yards. I agree, Cam runs too much. Didn't realize he carried that many times. Aaron Rodgers is about right. 60 carries - or what Freeman used to do in 2010.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#46 : April 29, 2013, 11:28:55 AM

Freeman has the capability to make plays on the run so why he doesnt is beyond me. Maybe his coaches didnt want him to in his first year in the system and maybe they wanted to keep him healthy because if he got hurt we have Dan the man running the team and I dont necessarily care for that option. Freeman gives this team its best chance to win as long as hes healthy. I do agree the man should be running when the opportunity presents itself and it did many times last year. He doesnt have to play like he did when he was heavy. Just play smart. I see QBs run and protect themselves when they run. Slide, protect the ball, and boom you got some yards that would have happened if you stayed put. He doesnt need to go head first. Just be smart about it.

Also the comment about him not wanting to get hurt does make me cringe a little bit because its football and you get roughed up. Maybe I just dont understand the punishing hits these huge dudes on defense deliver. Still thats what you sign up for. Why you get paid millions. Im with the guys saying he should run when the opportunity presents itself but be smart about it. Maybe he will do more of it this year and learn a little about when its right/not right to take off. Im sure they have had film sessions with him about when its good and not good to take off. I hope we see it at least a little more than last year. It was painful at times to see the open lane and not go for it. But then youd see the other QB do exactly that and it would piss me off Freeman wouldnt do it. 

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#47 : April 29, 2013, 11:39:26 AM

I still think Freeman can get it done for the Bucs. I just think the fan bases patience is running thin after seeing Rookie Qb's with bad defenses lead their team's to the playoffs. Yes, the pass defense sucked last year, and lost the Bucs more games than Freeman did but the Qb still needs to be more consistent week in and week out.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#48 : April 29, 2013, 11:39:51 AM

Freeman is at least in the conversation as the most prolific QB in franchise history in a single season, and soon will hold all career records.

Our pass defense last season was the absolute worst in franchise history, and that is a fact that can't be argued.

Both Freeman and the pass defense will be much improved this season. Freeman has performed better with worse talent, and the pass defense could not possibly be worse than it was.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#49 : April 29, 2013, 11:46:45 AM

When the offense continually goes 3 and out, turns the ball over, and goes quarters without getting first downs, yeah, the defense is going to collapse. Like in basketball where every great comeback rides the backs of missed free throws, in the NFL, every great defensive implosion usually has an offense that stalled to tag along.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#50 : April 29, 2013, 11:50:12 AM

I still think Freeman can get it done for the Bucs. I just think the fan bases patience is running thin after seeing Rookie Qb's with bad defenses lead their team's to the playoffs. Yes, the pass defense sucked last year, and lost the Bucs more games than Freeman did but the Qb still needs to be more consistent week in and week out.

Good post. For me, it has less to do with the rookies coming in and doing well immediately. The 3 guys last year were simply better and more polished prospects than Freeman was when he came out(no pun intended, lol).

This has everything to do with him playing well consistently. It seems that we will have the defense to support the offense this year, so our overall success will be heavily predicated on Freeman having a big year. This isn't about stats. This isn't about franchise records. This is about stepping up, taking the reigns and playing good football against stiff competition. He has shown the ability to mount comebacks, let's just hope that he converts that ability to playing well and stepping up when needed against the teams like NE, SEA, and SF this year.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#51 : April 29, 2013, 12:02:47 PM

If I had a magic wand and could wave it over Freeman.....POOF gone this instant.
This isn't about the Glennon pick either. No way he's NFL ready.
I was hoping we traded for Cousins or Mallett.
Some of you freaks are setting yourself up for a real dissapointment thinking he's going to break out.
He is what he has been.

xBuCsX_4_XeVax

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#52 : April 29, 2013, 12:34:26 PM

i tell you that watching his highlights almost brought a tear to my eyes..how i miss those days when freeman would take off for a 15 yard gain and that would stay in back of the defenses minds..i dont want him to run like vick used to when he was with the "dirty girls" but i do want him to put that fear on the defense...and the ones that are hating on Free will be the first 1s to get on their knees when freeman wins 3 or 4 games on his own..

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#53 : April 29, 2013, 12:38:37 PM

Wilson's coming back down to earth this season just like Cam did last season.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#54 : April 29, 2013, 12:46:47 PM

Typical Fan Bias all over the place about our QB.   Even if we do get into the playoffs this season, this discussion would still be ongoing.   (and it would be fueled by JF's new contract.)

Personally and using logic, I find it impossible to support the idea that Josh Freeman isn't going to play better this year than in years past... if I were to
guess,
  the chances of him playing poorer than he did in year one of Sullivan's system are < 10% likely.

IMO - either extreme on this debate coming to frutition is very, very, very unlikely .

But as in most MB discussions, one must either be a homer or a hater.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#55 : April 29, 2013, 01:19:43 PM

But as in most MB discussions, one must either be a homer or a hater.

Level headed posters and fans realize that most will fall somewhere in the middle of homer or hater, and that when it comes down to it, almost everyone here roots for both the Bucs and JFs success.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

moose40

Hall of Famer
#56 : April 29, 2013, 01:26:00 PM

When the offense continually goes 3 and out, turns the ball over, and goes quarters without getting first downs, yeah, the defense is going to collapse. Like in basketball where every great comeback rides the backs of missed free throws, in the NFL, every great defensive implosion usually has an offense that stalled to tag along.

Don't say that Bucfan40, it's not true, it's all about the defense failing and Freeman setting records, albeit it "lofty" "out of reach" "never obtainable" Buccaneer offensive records, we don't care about the plays Freeman left on the field, we only care that he threw for 4000+ yards so it's all on the defense that we lost. It's not a team game and it's not about the ying/yang effect that the offense not controlling the clock has on the defense, and the defense not getting a three and out has on the offense. (sarcasm implied)

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#57 : April 29, 2013, 04:08:09 PM

Have you been watching Chris Simms replays again?

Every team gives up a few downs here and there, but the bucs were much better in that regard than normal.

When I watch our team and see them score after a long drive, only to see the other team score on their first or second snap, I don't have to guess what the problem is. I know what it is. Defense lost games last year and that's really all there is to it. Doctor it up however you like.

Btw, the saints had a record setting season for bad defense also, and what was their final W/L?? ....I guess they should cut Drew Brees now!  ::)

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#58 : April 29, 2013, 04:26:52 PM

When I watch our team and see them score after a long drive, only to see the other team score on their first or second snap, I don't have to guess what the problem is. I know what it is. Defense lost games last year and that's really all there is to it. Doctor it up however you like.

OK, can we give up the "freeman was great but we still lost" story? For accuracy: Blaine Gabbert has a QBR of 78 so we can say anything below that line is not good QB play...right?

Freeman's QBR in our wins: 95. 124, 104, 108, 137, 73, 71 and averaged a QBR of 102 in those wins.  He got 2 wins playing sub-Blaine Gabbert
Freeman's QBR in our losses: 76, 45, 83, 105, 90, 72, 79, 37, 52 and averaged a QBR of 72 in hose wins. He got 2 losses playing good (90+) ball - same figure as Mark Sanchez BTW

Basically even if Freeman won all his 90+ games and lost all his sub 75 games we'd still have a 7-9 record.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#59 : April 29, 2013, 04:30:09 PM

I don't think anyone is advocating Vick like running. Talking Aaron Rodgers or Cam Newtown... extend plays with your feet and make a big run when it's there. Like Free did in 2010.

Cam? Really?  Dude has over 100 carries each season. Thats vick like running. Rodgers is closer to 60per year and freeman isnt too far behind those totals. Were taliing the difference of 20 or so carries over freemans career to average around that 60 mark.

I honestly think most people have no idea of what qbs in the nfl are putting up for rushing totals.

I honestly don't care how many rushes he averages per game or where he is in carries compared to other QBs. What I care about is him taking advantage of his running ability in certain and specific situations. We all have seen over the past two years those specific plays where he has the opportunity to pick up a 1st down on 3rd and __, but chooses to force a throw. It may happen one time a game, a few times a game, or sometimes may not come up for a few games, but those plays have been out there to make and there has been some hesitation. Now, I definitely don't want to see him taking off like VY, Cam, or Vick. Under 60 sounds good for a season. Just depends on the circumstances. I'm sure he will strike a happy balance this coming season between what we saw last year, and what we saw in 2010.

so you want it like 2011 minus the most of the bad passes?

My point is even these mobile qbs people want freeman to be more like, freeman is putting up similar numbers. Pulling down and running aounds great until it gets your qb injured. It also takes their eyes off the wrs and could eliminate a big play. Id like to see him scramble around a little more, but not necessarily run much more.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Here's to hoping for a more "free" Josh Freeman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools