Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs draft grade? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Runole

Hall of Famer
: April 28, 2013, 09:46:23 AM

Now I realize that they got the best first round draft choice in Revis, but  I would give just the draft alone a grade of C- or D+.  I continue to question the pick of Glennon in the the THIRD ROUND!  shades of Myron Lewis?  Understand if Glennon had been a later pick I could have accepted it.  Just can't wrap myself around Gibson being a quality interior NFL defensive lineman.  I think it was a priority after the DB chosen 2nd.  QB wasn't. IMO

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 28, 2013, 10:38:36 AM

You can't grade the draft class as a whole until you know what the answers are.   This draft, more than previous ones, will take 2-3 years before you can honestly grade it.  This draft used a different philosophy than we've seen here before, so I wouldn't know how to grade it without knowing how the pieces will really address their needs.  Grading based on names does nothing.

If you grade it based on if it answered the #1 problem area of this team (pass defense) , you have to give it an A.   #1 Pick is CB Revis, #2 Pick CB Banks.  I don't know how much more you can draft to fix it, especially when you fit the draft with FS Golston.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 28, 2013, 10:44:21 AM

You can't grade the draft class as a whole until you know what the answers are.   This draft, more than previous ones, will take 2-3 years before you can honestly grade it.  This draft used a different philosophy than we've seen here before, so I wouldn't know how to grade it without knowing how the pieces will really address their needs.  Grading based on names does nothing.

If you grade it based on if it answered the #1 problem area of this team (pass defense) , you have to give it an A.   #1 Pick is CB Revis, #2 Pick CB Banks.  I don't know how much more you can draft to fix it, especially when you fit the draft with FS Golston.

Understand your point guess I just got real spoiled with the way the Bucs handled last years draft.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 28, 2013, 12:59:46 PM

Just can't wrap myself around Gibson being a quality interior NFL defensive lineman.

did you watch him play last season? 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 28, 2013, 01:06:49 PM

When Gibson came in for Miller the D really didn't drop off at all.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 28, 2013, 03:19:40 PM

Roy Miller  24 tackles   

Gary Gibson - 18 tackles

That is a combined 42 tackles

I would like to have seen the Bucs seek out a potentially better player than either of them. Hopefully, those 2 - 4th rounder DL's will make a difference because I believe the Bucs could use a much better player than they currently have at that position.    They have also lost Bennett .  At this point in time unless one of those rookies or someone else currently on the roster really steps up I don't think the defensive line is improved with their current lineup.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 28, 2013, 03:38:05 PM

Almost everyone I've seen has given us a A or B.  the only picks I've seen criticized have been Gholston and Means. Everything I've read about the Glennon pick has been positive except from a few know it all posters on here.
: April 28, 2013, 03:52:58 PM XFactor

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 28, 2013, 03:40:23 PM

Kiper gave it a B grade.   And I agree.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 29, 2013, 09:43:14 PM

Almost everyone I've seen has given us a A or B.  the only picks I've seen criticized have been Gholston and Means. Everything I've read about the Glennon pick has been positive except from a few know it all posters on here.

I saw games with Glennon at his best and I have seen him look very poor.     I believe he would have still been around in the 4th round.   Guess I am on the other side of the fence because I believe both Gholston and Spence will both contribute more than Glennon especially Gholston. We shall see.

After a bit of reflection because of the later picks the draft was a bit better though not close to what it was in 2012.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 29, 2013, 11:05:04 PM

Too early to grade but I view it like this:

Rd 1: Revis.  This move makes or breaks the draft.  Worth the risk in my opinion.  A healthy Revis is an All-Pro.  An 85% Revis is still a Pro Bowler. I'm not as worried about the injury as the contract. We may need to worry more about him wanting a new deal in 2 years when the next young CB(eg Sherman) gets a mega deal.  We'll chew that food when we have to though.

Rd 2: Banks.  Nice pick.  Very productive, experienced, Thorpe Award winner.  Some thought with Revis on board we would not take a CB this high but I'm glad we did.  We hope Ronde is our nickel this year but that isnt locked down yet(though I predict he will return).  Wright is back at a reduced rate but is obviously on thin ice.  Banks is depth now and a potential starter in 2014. 

Rd 3: Glennon.  Like the player but not in the 3rd.  You don't take back up QBs in the 3rd.  Top 3 rds should be projected starters within their first couple years.  Is that how we view Glennon?  I think he would still be there in the 4th and if not him several other high profile college QBs went in the 4th if we really wanted a young developmental guy behind Freeman.  Whats is the plan here? Is the thought that we groom him behind Josh and if Josh flops in a contract year we wont have to draft a QB high because of Glennon? Maybe we are trying to make a statement to Freeman? Light a fire under him by spending an early pick on a QB but not quite early enough of a pick to create a controversy initially? 

Rd 4: Spence.  Solid pick.  Productive run stuffer.  Could start at NT since we are thin there.  Just wondering why we let Miller walk though. He wasn't expensive.  Spence and Miller are basically the same guy except Miller is more experienced. 

Rd 4: Gholston.  Solid pick.  I like moves like this in mid to late rds.  Take a flyer on an athletic underachiever.  Low risk/high reward.  Production hasn't matched physical tools to this point.  Time to get his TOES ON THE LINE!!!!!

Rd 5: Means.  Ehhhhhhh......small school athlete/pass rusher/OLB.  Did Greg recruit him or something?  Never heard of him and some draft publications don't have him listed.  Could have been an undrafted FA.  C'mon Dominick......

Rd 6: James.  Decent.  Jack of all trades master of none type guy.  I really wanted us to get a back to pair with Dougie a little earlier though.  We dont have RB depth(especially with LGB trade).  But if we were waiting until late to make a move like this I would have taken Lonnie Pryor instead.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 29, 2013, 11:07:00 PM

I saw games with Glennon at his best and I have seen him look very poor.     I believe he would have still been around in the 4th round.   Guess I am on the other side of the fence because I believe both Gholston and Spence will both contribute more than Glennon especially Gholston. We shall see.

After a bit of reflection because of the later picks the draft was a bit better though not close to what it was in 2012.

True but 3 starters in one draft is a rare thing.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 29, 2013, 11:28:12 PM

Just can't wrap myself around Gibson being a quality interior NFL defensive lineman.

did you watch him play last season?

Yes it is questionable if he call pull off a starting gig for the long haul.  He isn't a spring chicken either.

What is worse is that Landri is a pass rush speicalist and Spence  is a rookie so the depth after Gibson has a drop off.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 29, 2013, 11:46:57 PM

Yes it is questionable if he call pull off a starting gig for the long haul.  He isn't a spring chicken either.

What is worse is that Landri is a pass rush speicalist and Spence  is a rookie so the depth after Gibson has a drop off.

its also questionable if miller could stay healthy...same with mccoy.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Runole

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 30, 2013, 11:06:07 AM

Too early to grade but I view it like this:

Rd 1: Revis.  This move makes or breaks the draft.  Worth the risk in my opinion.  A healthy Revis is an All-Pro.  An 85% Revis is still a Pro Bowler. I'm not as worried about the injury as the contract. We may need to worry more about him wanting a new deal in 2 years when the next young CB(eg Sherman) gets a mega deal.  We'll chew that food when we have to though.

Rd 2: Banks.  Nice pick.  Very productive, experienced, Thorpe Award winner.  Some thought with Revis on board we would not take a CB this high but I'm glad we did.  We hope Ronde is our nickel this year but that isnt locked down yet(though I predict he will return).  Wright is back at a reduced rate but is obviously on thin ice.  Banks is depth now and a potential starter in 2014. 

Rd 3: Glennon.  Like the player but not in the 3rd.  You don't take back up QBs in the 3rd.  Top 3 rds should be projected starters within their first couple years.  Is that how we view Glennon?  I think he would still be there in the 4th and if not him several other high profile college QBs went in the 4th if we really wanted a young developmental guy behind Freeman.  Whats is the plan here? Is the thought that we groom him behind Josh and if Josh flops in a contract year we wont have to draft a QB high because of Glennon? Maybe we are trying to make a statement to Freeman? Light a fire under him by spending an early pick on a QB but not quite early enough of a pick to create a controversy initially? 

Rd 4: Spence.  Solid pick.  Productive run stuffer.  Could start at NT since we are thin there.  Just wondering why we let Miller walk though. He wasn't expensive.  Spence and Miller are basically the same guy except Miller is more experienced. 

Rd 4: Gholston.  Solid pick.  I like moves like this in mid to late rds.  Take a flyer on an athletic underachiever.  Low risk/high reward.  Production hasn't matched physical tools to this point.  Time to get his TOES ON THE LINE!!!!!

Rd 5: Means.  Ehhhhhhh......small school athlete/pass rusher/OLB.  Did Greg recruit him or something?  Never heard of him and some draft publications don't have him listed.  Could have been an undrafted FA.  C'mon Dominick......

Rd 6: James.  Decent.  Jack of all trades master of none type guy.  I really wanted us to get a back to pair with Dougie a little earlier though.  We dont have RB depth(especially with LGB trade).  But if we were waiting until late to make a move like this I would have taken Lonnie Pryor instead.

agree with your preliminary analysis.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#14 : April 30, 2013, 11:13:25 AM

I'll give the draft a B+ if Revis is healthy and helps change the mentality of the secondary.  If Revis is unable to come back from his injury the draft grade gets an F and Dom should be fired.

I like the Banks pick, and the James pick at RB, but all the rest are very iffy, and this teams still has glaring weaknesses that have yet to be addressed.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs draft grade? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools