Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Outside of the secondary did the Bucs improve this offseason? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 11

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
: April 28, 2013, 11:35:30 AM

Thoughts?  I'd say no.  But boy did the secondary improve at least on paper.   No OL upgrades or depth addressed.  I would say the skilled offensive positions is a wash.  LB core not improved but will call a wash.  DL is downgraded however from what we had at the start of last year.  Very little DL depth and some unknowns with what the starters will bring. 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 28, 2013, 11:37:19 AM

No but when you look at what was wrong with us it is that 32 in pass defense that leaps out as the thing holding us back. We weren't smart in upgrading the secondary but we did upgrade it.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 28, 2013, 12:13:45 PM

We got a backup QB - upgraded
We got a strong NT that can take the double teams on 1st and 2nd down - upgraded
We weren't going to replace Clayborn or Bowers, so we got DE we can rotate in and situation pass rushers to keep Clayborn & Bowers fresher - upgraded
We traded away a player we didn't use, gained a KR/PR in Demps, and finished the draft with a bigger back that can do everything well for depth at RB to go with Leonard - upgraded

I'd say the answer is yes.  How much did we improve, I don't know.  We'll know as the season goes on, but we did improve.
: April 28, 2013, 12:17:27 PM BTownBucFan

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 28, 2013, 12:19:14 PM

No. Resounding.

BTown, that's just hopeful speculation on your part. Most people would call them a wash at this point. Probably better at back-up RB, just because of Schiano's choice.
: April 28, 2013, 12:21:18 PM TheChronicHotAir

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 28, 2013, 12:21:01 PM

No but when you look at what was wrong with us it is that 32 in pass defense that leaps out as the thing holding us back. We weren't smart in upgrading the secondary but we did upgrade it.
yup. Was going to post something linear to this.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 28, 2013, 12:23:11 PM

Disagree about Ghoulston being an upgrade to Bennett.  Disagree about Spence being an upgrade to Miller.  He might eventually develop into a similar player but that is unknown at this time.  Backup QB?  Maybe better long term but isn't going to make a difference this year one iota.  Doubt Demps even plays for us.  I don't think James is a better talent than Blount but I do see Schiano didn't want him so I get the James pick.  Does it make us better there in that regard ?  Maybe. 

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 28, 2013, 12:29:47 PM

Gholston is definitely not an upgrade over Bennett.

Miller and Spence will probably be a wash this year, but I think Spence will eventually be a better player.

Glennon is better than Dan O, but that doesn't mean much for this year.

James/Leonard is an upgrade over Blount just for the fact that Schiano will actually use them to give Doug some rest.

We completely revamped the secondary though which should make a huge impact on our defense.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 28, 2013, 12:31:45 PM

We upgraded our secondary which actually makes out dline better because now we can get coverage sacks we couldn't get last year

SCOUT

Starter

#8 : April 28, 2013, 12:39:17 PM

Ogletree is a decent addition. Getting Miami running back allowed us to get rid of non blocking one dimensional Blount.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 28, 2013, 12:40:03 PM

outside of the secondary, did the Bucs need to improve?  we had the top ranked run defense and a top10 offense.

OL - we insert nicks and joseph into the starting lineup.  this means last years starters are depth.
DL - we get clayborn in place of bennett.  we get gholston for depth.  dont see how it could be considered a downgrade.  we have mccoy, landri, gibson and spence.  we have bowers, clayborn, gholston, DTN, morgan and selvie.  how much depth do you want?

the only thing i see the team missing is a RT or swing tackle.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 28, 2013, 12:40:10 PM

We also upgraded the WR position by signing Ogletree and Smith

SCOUT

Starter

#11 : April 28, 2013, 12:41:58 PM

Great points Game Time re depth.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 28, 2013, 12:45:04 PM

Let's look at the whole team.

QB: Backup depth improved a tad because we have more talent there...although Glennon won't challenge Orlovsky this season.
RB: I'd say we lost a little. I actually liked Blount. Leonard should be an improvement over Ware but I don't think Smith will be better than Blount should something happen to Martin...at least not right away.
WR: I'd say we definitely improved a little Smith and Ogletree add more depth and Ogletree should be an upgrade as the #3/Slot WR. It's not a huge upgrade but it is better.
TE: Definitely did not improve here. We took a hit with the loss of Clark. Maybe we can bring him back for another year.
OL: We are improved over last year. We lost Nicks and Joseph for a good portion of the season (Joseph for almost all of it). Adding two Pro Bowl caliber guards will help the rest of our O-line a ton.

DL: Overall, I'd say we probably took a little bit of a hit short term but with the potential to be a little better. We lost Bennett but get Clayborn back. I think Spence can come in and be what Miller was eventually but I am not sure either DE can be what Bennett was. If they can...great. I'd still feel better if we can land a Freeney or Abraham.
LB: This is pretty much the same as last year.
DB: Massive upgrade...not even close.

So overall we have improved our O-line, maybe the same on the d-line but upgraded majorly in the secondary. With Clayborn healthy, Bowers playing all year, and if we can sign a Freeney or Abraham...this team will have improved it's most major weaknesses.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 28, 2013, 12:51:30 PM

Well, we'll have Joseph and Nicks  on our roster this year so that will automatically make us better, so yes. Still, there have been other changes on the offensive side of the ball that have improved the Bucs' roster in 2013. Depth at the RB, WR, and TE positions are good examples of this. Other reasons to believe the squad will be much improved this upcoming season are  as follows:

An additional year for players and coaches in the same system.
The addition of all-pro leaders to the roster.
Greg Schiano has already established his coaching philosophy, dumped all who were not on board, and has an entire off season to build on that.
The organization does not have to deal with the usual AqibTalib drama.
We KNOW we can be good already.

gotheem11

Rookie

#14 : April 28, 2013, 12:55:23 PM

Outside of the secondary there is not much that could be improved through draft and FA , spence is better than miller idk why everyone thinks miller was good, Casillas gives us a good nickel lb that can cover, mike James is an upgrade cuz he can run catch and block pretty well, gholston was a great pick we will probly make him lose like 20 pounds or so to become more fit for a 4-3 de
Page: 1 2 3 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Outside of the secondary did the Bucs improve this offseason? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools