Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are we going to keep 3 QBs? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 28, 2013, 02:32:07 PM

If Glennon is struggling in camp to adjust to the nfl we will keep 3 QBs on the roster. If Glennon looks good and capable of holding down the fort if Freeman is out for a few games ,  then Orlovsky is toast. Really its as simple as that.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#16 : April 28, 2013, 02:34:00 PM

If we had to start either for the entire season I honestly believe we would have the number 1 pick in the draft.  So either the backup never plays a meaningful down or we are screwed.  So why keep both?

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#17 : April 28, 2013, 02:36:44 PM

If Freeman goes down in week 2...who do you want as the starting QB? I would prefer Orlovsky. This team has the talent to push for a playoff spot. I am not saying we will make the playoffs...but they have the talent to challenge for a spot. If Glennon has to play...we won't make the playoffs. I think you start with 3 QBs and with Glennon as the #3. At some point hopefully Glennon moves into the #2 spot. For this year though...I carry 3 QBs. If next season Glennon has started to develop and Freeman is back...then maybe you only go with 2.
Glennon has the physical skills, Orlovsky has the playbook and personnel knowledge. At the end of the day, when an injury like that happens, it's up the head coach to make the best decision possible.

If scouts are right and Glennon's football IQ is as high as they claim it to be, I wouldn't be shocked if Glennon became our starter were Freeman ever to go down.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 28, 2013, 02:42:29 PM

If we had to start either for the entire season I honestly believe we would have the number 1 pick in the draft.  So either the backup never plays a meaningful down or we are screwed.  So why keep both?
Because it might not be all season . It might just be a few games. You might be able to win one or two of tbose if you have a guy that can manage the game instead of a rookie who might poop down his leg , throw 6 ints in a game ,and lose all by himself . Orlovsky wont do that , a rookie may.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#19 : April 28, 2013, 02:46:29 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't 3 rookies make the playoffs last year?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 28, 2013, 02:48:53 PM

If Freeman goes down in week 2...who do you want as the starting QB? I would prefer Orlovsky. This team has the talent to push for a playoff spot. I am not saying we will make the playoffs...but they have the talent to challenge for a spot. If Glennon has to play...we won't make the playoffs. I think you start with 3 QBs and with Glennon as the #3. At some point hopefully Glennon moves into the #2 spot. For this year though...I carry 3 QBs. If next season Glennon has started to develop and Freeman is back...then maybe you only go with 2.
Glennon has the physical skills, Orlovsky has the playbook and personnel knowledge. At the end of the day, when an injury like that happens, it's up the head coach to make the best decision possible.

If scouts are right and Glennon's football IQ is as high as they claim it to be, I wouldn't be shocked if Glennon became our starter were Freeman ever to go down.
we already know what Dan the Man is.  Can't say that about Glennon so the obvious choice would be to see what the kid has.  Unless its a spot start here or there we are talking about. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#21 : April 28, 2013, 02:50:58 PM

yeah and two of them were the number 1 and number 2 pick in the draft.  The other guy was the guy Glennon couldn't beat out in college. 

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 28, 2013, 03:03:48 PM

Meet Nick Foles, 3rd round pick of the Iggles last season... http://www.nfl.com/player/nickfoles/2532842/profile

As already mentioned, it depends very much on Glennon showing his coaches in practice he's got the playbook down, and is able to execute it. If not, Orlovsky stays. I'd be surprised if we kept Orlovsky the whole season, as Glennon likely 'gets it' before season's end. JMO...

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 28, 2013, 03:18:51 PM

yeah and two of them were the number 1 and number 2 pick in the draft.  The other guy was the guy Glennon couldn't beat out in college.

Zzzzzzzing!

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#24 : April 28, 2013, 03:27:03 PM

Zzzzzzzing!

Just like Brian Griese started over Tom Brady at Michigan at one point. You act like it would be easy to beat out Russell Wilson the dude is a stud. It's not like Glennon got passed up on the starting job to some scrub. It was because Wilson is a stud.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 28, 2013, 03:29:28 PM

Because it might not be all season . It might just be a few games. You might be able to win one or two of tbose if you have a guy that can manage the game instead of a rookie who might poop down his leg , throw 6 ints in a game ,and lose all by himself . Orlovsky wont do that , a rookie may.

+1

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 28, 2013, 03:57:13 PM

Zzzzzzzing!

Just like Brian Griese started over Tom Brady at Michigan at one point. You act like it would be easy to beat out Russell Wilson the dude is a stud. It's not like Glennon got passed up on the starting job to some scrub. It was because Wilson is a stud.

Most college teams go by seniority also . If you have a good starter , he is the starter , and the guys behind him simply wait thier turn . Not saying Glennon would have beat him out ,It's not like there would have been an open competition.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 28, 2013, 04:11:12 PM

Zzzzzzzing!

Most college teams go by seniority also . If you have a good starter , he is the starter , and the guys behind him simply wait thier turn . Not saying Glennon would have beat him out ,It's not like there would have been an open competition.

Clearly some people on this board don't realize that is also a factor.

White Tiger

Starter
#28 : April 28, 2013, 05:12:20 PM

If we're truly in a "win now" phase, I think we have to.

We must have someone with NFL experience that can come off the bench and get a win - while he's not a starter - Orlovsky has done that in his career.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are we going to keep 3 QBs? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools