Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks, steal of the draft but why? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BucNY

Hall of Famer

: April 29, 2013, 09:44:48 AM

We're talking about a 4 year starter in the SEC, in against the same schedule that Mr. Dee Milliner was in. Banks started as a true freshman and raked up a total of 15 interceptions over the course of his career against the best the NCAA has to offer. He is a ready, willing and able tackler and raked up 71 tackles last year and 63 this year. He also won the Thorpe award this year for the Nation's best defensive back, not Dee Milliner, not Xavier Rhodes.

Why did he drop? In my estimation, his 40 time at the combine. Watch his tape, he covers the elite WR in the draft and does so without speed being a factor. My point is here, if he was a 4.4 guy he would have been off the board earlier, but b/c he ran a slow 40 people wrote him off. Don't get me wrong, I don't want slow guys on this team, but if you didn't know he ran a 4.6 and just watched his tape, no one would say he was slow.

We may have drafted who turns out to be the best corner in the draft all because of a 40 time in shirts and shorts!

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 29, 2013, 09:49:09 AM

I don't think Banks is the steal of the draft, but he will be competing for the #2 spot with Wright this year. He has the ability to pretty much negate out routes on his side of the field and we know that Revis when healthy can do the same on the other side.  Banks may still be vulnerable to a simple go route against some of the more faster WR's in the league though so he isn't perfect but he pretty much causes problems for opposing offense in the short/intermediate passing game.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 29, 2013, 09:53:27 AM

I think he was a great pick up...but to me, "steal of the draft" is someone who was taken after the 3rd who ends up being a stud.  Now if Gholston turns into a beast, thats a steal.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#3 : April 29, 2013, 09:54:09 AM

I won't be surprised if Banks will be starting by week eight. We all know teams are going to be throwing towards Wright a lot since Revis is on the other side of the field. As last year I see Wright getting smoked again and eventually losing playing time.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 29, 2013, 09:55:02 AM

Im really excited we have Banks paired with Rhodes. Its going to be sick. but if you watch Milliners games from last season you can see he was no doubt the best corner prospect in the draft.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 29, 2013, 09:55:54 AM

I think he was a great pick up...but to me, "steal of the draft" is someone who was taken after the 3rd who ends up being a stud.  Now if Gholston turns into a beast, thats a steal.

He won't be a steal like Mike William's in the 4th but anytime you can get someone who has a chance to be a very good corner in the 2nd, i'll call it a steal.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 29, 2013, 09:56:21 AM

I won't be surprised if Banks will be starting by week eight. We all know teams are going to be throwing towards Wright a lot since Revis is on the other side of the field. As last year I see Wright getting smoked again and eventually losing playing time.

I have a feeling their plan is to start him way sooner than week 8.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 29, 2013, 10:03:55 AM

I think he'll be starting on day one, mainly because I think the Bucs will put three CBs on the field.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 29, 2013, 10:06:04 AM

Didn't he go 4.5 at his pro day then? So for one tenth of a second he dropped a whole round? Hmmm.

In Verner We Trust

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 29, 2013, 10:11:11 AM

Steal of the draft is overstating, but it was a good pick.

Yea he improved his time at his pro day and was in the 4.5s. I'm not worried about his 40 time. Brandon Flowers and Tramon Williams both had very similar 40s and have been very good CBs.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 29, 2013, 10:12:34 AM

Quote from: Pepsi
Im really excited we have Banks paired with Rhodes. Its going to be sick. but if you watch Milliners games from last season you can see he was no doubt the best corner prospect in the draft.

I don't know, I think anyone you pair with Darrelle Rhodes is going to be sick. That's why they call it Rhode Island.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 29, 2013, 10:17:01 AM

I have my fingers crossed. He wasn't a guy I was high on, but now that he is a Buc, I'm hoping he is awesome.

It's plays like this that scare me. He tries to punch at the ball, doesn't attempt a tackle, and then gets left in the dust by everyone.....gotta show better effort and speed than that!

http://youtu.be/E1FEJdeNRr0?t=3m53s

Draft Aaron Donald

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 29, 2013, 10:19:19 AM

LOL, that wasn't pretty.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 29, 2013, 10:22:11 AM

Yeah, he does go for the strip every time and made some plays with it, but he definitely needs coached up on when to just make the tackle.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#14 : April 29, 2013, 10:24:28 AM

I think that Wright's best place on the field was in the slot when we signed him unless I'm wrong, and I would rather put Banks on the outside against 2nd WR's and Wright or Barber in the middle of the field if possible from day 1.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks, steal of the draft but why? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools