Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks, steal of the draft but why? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 29, 2013, 10:27:08 AM

Yea, Wright struggled heavily when on the outside in coverage.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 29, 2013, 10:33:59 AM

I liked him early on in this process. He's very good as a Press Corner. One of the biggest knocks on him was he got beat deep from to time. When this happened he didn't have the closing speed to make up for these miscues.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#17 : April 29, 2013, 10:36:00 AM

With Revis on the other side of the field I think we'll see a lot of double coverage on the opposite side.  The Revis effect.  Gotta love it!

GOBUCS09

Rookie

#18 : April 29, 2013, 10:44:57 AM

I think the bucs will bring him to start by the second game. Eric Wright is made for the slot position, just like ronde is. Banks will be able to mirror 2nd WRs. He has played Julio Jones and he did a great job in covering him. With Revis mentoring this kid he WILL be the best corner out of this draft.  Remember this the 40 time does not compare to what you can do on the field with pads on you.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#19 : April 29, 2013, 10:48:09 AM

With Revis on the other side of the field I think we'll see a lot of double coverage on the opposite side.  The Revis effect.  Gotta love it!

This is why he is capable of starting early on, should be able to roll plenty of safety help to his side, rather it be Goldson right now though and Barron closer to the line if anybody.

Balls Out

Starter
#20 : April 29, 2013, 10:57:49 AM

It's as simple as that...Give him safety help for the deep ball and let him do his thing at the line of scrimmage (good press skills) and on the short/intermediate routes (good change of direction and long arms). I'll take excellent agility with average straight line speed over average agility and excellent straight line speed every day of the week.

"Some birds can only have a back archer if you flick the starter button - spocking the G spot doesn't work on all of them"

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 29, 2013, 10:59:31 AM

It's as simple as that...Give him safety help for the deep ball and let him do his thing at the line of scrimmage (good press skills) and on the short/intermediate routes (good change of direction and long arms). I'll take excellent agility with average straight line speed over average agility and excellent straight line speed every day of the week.

+1.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 29, 2013, 10:59:35 AM

Im hoping Barber comes back to help Revis mentor this kid. You got two of the best CBs of all time teaching you up and you already got great talent, then your gonna do some good things in this league. It was a great pick.

bucinsouthFL

Starter

#23 : April 29, 2013, 11:44:35 AM

His speed was the main thing, and no only did he bomb his 40, the looked terrible in drills. At the end of the day though, he won the Jim Thorpe award and shut down college football's best. I think he has great size, return ability, and can blitz. I really like the pick. He just needs to clean up a few bad habits (He was a captain and is very teachable), and I think we got ourselves a good corner.

bucinsouthFL

Starter

#24 : April 29, 2013, 11:59:32 AM

Watched these two game tapes (lol the best youtube provides for "couch gms" like us)

I think the Aurburn game shows you he dominated average SEC competition, like he could has the nations top defensive back. He makes two great plays here, breaks on the ball very well.

I think the Tennessee tape is a little more useful though. He goes up against some of the highest rated WRs in this years draft, and it's a fair display of who he is imo.

Pros:
Lines up all over
Good ball skills
Good Return ability
Makes Big plays
Physical at the line

Cons:
Loves to push around WRs, but does not like to tackle RBs haha
Lapses in effort. He's not gonna hustle if he sees someone else with he chance to make the play. Doesn't finish every play.

But like I said, he was a leader and seems like a great kid. These are things Schiano and company can coach him up on.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#25 : April 29, 2013, 12:55:36 PM

Quote from: Pepsi
Im really excited we have Banks paired with Rhodes. Its going to be sick. but if you watch Milliners games from last season you can see he was no doubt the best corner prospect in the draft.

I don't know, I think anyone you pair with Darrelle Rhodes is going to be sick. That's why they call it Rhode Island.

It happens to the best of us

ingey1968

Starter

#26 : April 29, 2013, 01:13:27 PM

Banks has a chance to be a good player, not sure he is steal of the draft but time will tell .

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#27 : April 29, 2013, 02:04:48 PM

Banks is on par with most of the CB's at the NFL level already. He will be starting week one.

The real "trouble" is going to be revis painting an automatic target on any CB on the other side. Banks is a good corner, and WILL beat out Wright very quickly, but anyone who knows football should know anyone opposite of revis is going to get a fair sized workload.

Banks is the perfect fit for it though, which to me, makes him the "steal of the draft." Even more so when you figure he could be revis's replacement eventually.

The only other corners with his level of talent in draft were Dee and Rhodes, and after the revis trade neither one was a realistic option. Banks was the best pick in the second round for tampa, and originally I had him projected to go to the bucs in the first (after dropping down a couple of picks), so not only did we get skill, but we also got value imvho.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

bucfan33

Pro Bowler
#28 : April 29, 2013, 03:04:05 PM

40 times are the most over rated thing in evaluating a player. Running in shorts out of a sprinters stance against yourself is a lot different than running on a football field with pads on or even racing against another person. I don't understand guys that hold .1 seconds in his 40 time against Banks, but discount what he did on the field.

ingey1968

Starter

#29 : April 29, 2013, 03:05:42 PM

lol, he is on par with the rest of the cbs in the NFL? Might want to wait till he actually plays a down before crowning him.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks, steal of the draft but why? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools