Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks, steal of the draft but why? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#30 : April 29, 2013, 03:27:16 PM

Quote from: ingey1968
lol, he is on par with the rest of the cbs in the NFL? Might want to wait till he actually plays a down before crowning him.

We crowned Myron Lewis and that didn't turn out so bad. I'm not sure what the big deal is here?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 29, 2013, 03:58:12 PM

It makes me wonder if he actually watched Banks play (not highlights).

The only knock on the guy is a 40 time without pads. That's it.

Tell me Wright has less problems and you'll render my argument moot. You can't, and good luck if you try.

Banks is a lock to start, and better than Wright...which automatically makes him virtually a #1 if he's better than Wright (which would've been our #1). He would be in revis's spot if revis had never been traded for. Banks is a "MW" of the opposite side, could be a #1 on other teams.

Barring some sort of setback, he's going to be better than most corners in this league. Next to him, regarding this draft, it's only trufant and Rhodes that comes close to Banks talent level. And honestly, banks is still the safer pick.

Bradspace

Pro Bowler

#32 : April 29, 2013, 04:12:43 PM

I do like the number interceptions he's had over his career. That skill should pay off when he's opposite Revis.

RaHonde Barber

Rookie

#33 : April 29, 2013, 04:31:27 PM

Barring some sort of setback, he's going to be better than most corners in this league. Next to him, regarding this draft, it's only trufant and Rhodes that comes close to Banks talent level. And honestly, banks is still the safer pick.

I like the Banks pick alot but I think if GMs around the league thought he was "going to be better than most corners in this league", he would've been a high 1st rounder in weak draft. A ton of much better prospects at CB have totally flamed out over the last ten years. CB is actually one of the harder position to project to the NFL. He is a "safe" pick though.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#34 : April 29, 2013, 06:04:41 PM

Maybe they should time the 40 for corners with them running backwards.

ingey1968

Starter

#35 : April 29, 2013, 06:25:13 PM

Tell me Wright has less problems and you'll render my argument moot. You can't, and good luck if you try.

Banks is a lock to start, and better than Wright...which automatically makes him virtually a #1 if he's better than Wright (which would've been our #1). He would be in revis's spot if revis had never been traded for. Banks is a "MW" of the opposite side, could be a #1 on other teams.

It doesnt take much to be better then Wright however to sit there and say he is as good or better as most NFL CBs right now is foolish at best.

gone

Hall of Famer
#36 : April 29, 2013, 06:33:54 PM

Quote from: Pepsi
Im really excited we have Banks paired with Rhodes. Its going to be sick. but if you watch Milliners games from last season you can see he was no doubt the best corner prospect in the draft.

I don't know, I think anyone you pair with Darrelle Rhodes is going to be sick. That's why they call it Rhode Island.

It happens to the best of us

To all of us, but that was absolutely perfect.  "Rhode Island".  LMAO

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 29, 2013, 06:39:14 PM

His shuttle and 3 cone were better than Rhodes and Milliner. 90% of the time those are the things corners need to do well when covering. Hopefully he will have deep help. That was a big problem last year having Barron in cover one. There are a lot of bad highlights from last year where Barron is playing deep middle and the QB hits the deep pass down the sideline.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 29, 2013, 06:42:33 PM

It doesnt take much to be better then Wright however to sit there and say he is as good or better as most NFL CBs right now is foolish at best.

Foolish for you maybe. I actually can see talent.

Innovation

Practice Squad

#39 : April 29, 2013, 07:18:54 PM

Johnthan Banks long speed is a question on tape after he tweaked his knee in the middle Tennessee game. It actually looked gruesome but apparently wasnt. He still suited up for the most important game of the season to that point against Alabama.  Up to that point he gave up no touchdowns, had 4 ints, and 5 passes defensed. After his knee injury he gave up 3 tds in man, was scorched in both the Alabama and Ole Miss games and just broke up two more passes bbefore retweaking his knee in the Northwestern game.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#40 : April 29, 2013, 10:56:14 PM

Thanks. Good post.

In Verner We Trust

Jr.3

Second String

#41 : April 29, 2013, 11:04:02 PM

I think  people get caught up in the 40 time, no pad no adrenaline and forget about the game tape.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 29, 2013, 11:08:33 PM

Banks Island?

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#43 : April 29, 2013, 11:31:42 PM

Although he wasn't the guy I wanted and I do have some concerns, he seems like he plays the ball real well and has a decent set of mits on em. 16 interceptions in his college career, and they were spread out evenly.....which tells me it isn't a fluke and should translate to the NFL.

I think if Banks was drafted last year and played on or defense he would have been torched and looked like a bust. I don't think he is a guy that be a #1 in the NFL and make a big difference by himself. However, now that we have Revis on the other side, two hard hitting safeties in the middle, and a solid nickel DB in either Wright or Johnson.....he'll be getting lots of help and be put into a position to succeed. I think he could end up having a very good rookie year with 5 interceptions.

Only thing that scares me is our pass rush. We let our most productive DE walk in FA and drafted a couple longshots late in the draft, so it is hard to imagine our pass rush going from horrible to good. No pressure on the QB will make any secondary look bad no matter how good they are. We might want to seriously think about signing Freeney to a one year deal as a situational pass rusher. This Means kid looks promising, but let's not base our whole season on him being the steal of the draft.

Draft Aaron Donald

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#44 : April 29, 2013, 11:37:12 PM

We let our most productive DE walk in FA
  this is true, but was he most productive because of the system of because of his talent?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks, steal of the draft but why? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools