Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Steal « previous next »
Page: 1

blackfoot

Starter
: April 29, 2013, 03:55:13 PM

Did the Bucs steal anyone in the Draft?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 29, 2013, 03:58:39 PM

Banks may have been a steal. A bunch of corners were selected in front of him and he won the Thorpe award. Could be a steal to get him later and not even have to trade up to get him. Gholdson and Means could be steals if they take the coaching and do whats necessary. They look the part in their highlights but that doesnt mean anything. Its a long shot imo for both because its so hard to do at this level. Not that I know but every year we see guys who could be steals end up not doing anything. They either just didnt have what it took or never got the chance. Probably a bit of both for most guys.

blackfoot

Starter
#2 : April 29, 2013, 05:45:25 PM

I think Banks was a good pick, but my guess at steals are James and Means. If we got a running back  in the 5th round that can get the third and one, catch the ball out of the back field, and provide a change of pace for Martin, that is a steal. Means looks like he can be a speed rusher and also drop back into coverage in passing situation. I sure he can play special teams as well. If he can do all of that, he  is a steal for the fifth round.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 29, 2013, 05:54:13 PM

james cost 2 picks and the departure of a capable backup. He never started in 4 years and his totals are scary low. He might not have even been drafted and the bucs traded up to get him. Hows that a steal? because he might be able to be a 3rd down back/KR? Not a steal at all. If anything they overpaid for him.

Means has great athleticism and decent numbers but he comes from the mac. His draft stock had him right around where he was selected and its a risk to take a player from a lesser conference. Great value pick, but not a steal IMO.

banks is the only one with skills, production, and accolades that could cause anyone to consider him a steal. There were lesser CBs drafted in front of him. Hes the only that could qualify as a "steal."

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

blackfoot

Starter
#4 : April 29, 2013, 06:10:12 PM

Blount couldn't catch out of the back field, hold on to the ball, pick up the short yardage or block his own shadow. If Means can translate his stuff to the NFL he will give us something special on passing downs. They both bring a lot of want to, if they can do then they are steals IMO.

GayRobot

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Starter

#5 : April 29, 2013, 06:11:56 PM

^You mean James

blackfoot

Starter
#6 : April 29, 2013, 06:17:01 PM

I did mean James.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 29, 2013, 06:17:22 PM

Have to agree with tatmanfish on James, using two picks to move up for James was odd. Maybe it's nitpicking, but when you look at who went in  the 6th/7th round there were quite a few guys that were considered better prospects.

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 29, 2013, 09:35:47 PM

Its tough to say it now, but it may be Glennon if he develops right. Hes smart and has the physical skill. If he ends up being a good starter, or we move him for a higher pickdown the line that will constitute a steal.

More conventionally, I would say Banks is the closest thing to a steal. He has the attributes to make him a top notch corner.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 29, 2013, 09:41:29 PM

Have to agree with tatmanfish on James, using two picks to move up for James was odd. Maybe it's nitpicking, but when you look at who went in  the 6th/7th round there were quite a few guys that were considered better prospects.

Such a high percentage of 5th - 7th round guys never do anything in the league. To say that there were guys that were "higher rated" really means nothing.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 29, 2013, 09:48:14 PM

A steal is when you get a player much later than they were projected to go.  I don't think you can say that about anybody we selected.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Steal « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools