Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Glennon is a legitimate threat to Freeman PERIOD! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 32

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #285 : May 19, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-5760.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

That article should be its own thread. After he was drafted, PR told us Glennon was a threat to Dan. O. and  not to Free.

From that article:

No one expects Glennon to beat out Freeman this year. But it’s not out of the question.

Schiano said he believes Glennon “can play quickly” if he is needed. “But our situation will be only if he’s needed,” he said. “Or if he wins the job. Look, I’m not against that. We have a starting quarterback. It’s not like we’re looking to find a starter. But competition is competition. Mike Glennon is a fierce competitor. I knew that when he was coming out of high school. Now being able to work with him a little, you can see it on the practice field.”

Glennon will get a chance. Maybe this year. Maybe next, after Freeman’s contract expires. Maybe farther on down the line.

But when that chance comes for Glennon, his head coach is pretty confident he will do well with it.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #286 : May 19, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »

If he wins the job? Freeman better come ready to play and impress.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #287 : May 19, 2013, 05:37:09 PM »

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-5760.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

That article should be its own thread. After he was drafted, PR told us Glennon was a threat to Dan. O. and  not to Free.

From that article:

No one expects Glennon to beat out Freeman this year. But it’s not out of the question.

Schiano said he believes Glennon “can play quickly” if he is needed. “But our situation will be only if he’s needed,” he said. “Or if he wins the job. Look, I’m not against that. We have a starting quarterback. It’s not like we’re looking to find a starter. But competition is competition. Mike Glennon is a fierce competitor. I knew that when he was coming out of high school. Now being able to work with him a little, you can see it on the practice field.”

Glennon will get a chance. Maybe this year. Maybe next, after Freeman’s contract expires. Maybe farther on down the line.

But when that chance comes for Glennon, his head coach is pretty confident he will do well with it.

You didn't bold the first part of the quote (now in red)

Has Schiano said "we have a starting LBer" or "we have a starting S"  Pretty sure PR was not far off

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #288 : May 19, 2013, 06:01:09 PM »

I think PR was very off. Of course Free is the leader going into camp but Glennon will get a fair shot at the job. Will a rookie be able to unseat
the veteran? Probably not. But you never know. The fact that Schiano said "if he wins the job" wasn't an accident. Freeman better be ready.
Schiano LOVES Glennon and it won't take much of a slip of by Freeman for Glennon to get a shot.

Glennon is more of a threat to Freeman than many of us realized at the time of the draft.

BTW, I've been called a Freeman apologist and Freeman homer.
« : May 19, 2013, 06:05:15 PM ufojoe »

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #289 : May 19, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »

The fact that Schiano said "if he wins the job" wasn't an accident.

neither was his saying "only if needed."  Like I said,  name another position he said that about?

I have been called the same as you and we agree generally, I just take the part you highlighted as what a coach has to say.  I have no doubt Glennon is a threat to Freeman, especially long-term, but in the short-run it is 100% Freeman's job to lose.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #290 : May 19, 2013, 07:03:53 PM »

From that article:

I was just about to post that part of the article.  I'm no longer a Freeman fan, but it's hard to see him not getting the start this year pretty much regardless.  It's just crazy to see a coach bench a guy that half the fans and media think is the first franchise QB we ever had, and the risk associated with letting him go somewhere else with those stats that everyone creams their panties over. 

But then he goes out and says stuff like that and you're left wondering what the hell he really is thinking.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #291 : May 19, 2013, 07:05:17 PM »

From that article:

Has Schiano said "we have a starting LBer" or "we have a starting S"  Pretty sure PR was not far off

The fact he seems to feel he needs to constantly confirm Josh is the starter is a bit of an indicator there, Vin.  Kind of like how owners are always sticking up for lame duck coaches with one year left, "yeah, Bob's our coach, we're 100% behind him, absolutely"

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #292 : May 19, 2013, 07:24:48 PM »

From that article:

The fact he seems to feel he needs to constantly confirm Josh is the starter is a bit of an indicator there, Vin.  Kind of like how owners are always sticking up for lame duck coaches with one year left, "yeah, Bob's our coach, we're 100% behind him, absolutely"

I have no doubt that's how you take his comment (in bold). You may be right, who knows?

Schiano pronounce any other player the starter?

gone

Hall of Famer
« #293 : May 19, 2013, 07:34:36 PM »

From that article:

I have no doubt that's how you take his comment (in bold). You may be right, who knows?

I don't think it makes any sense to start Glennon this year, outside of injury Vin.  It makes no sense, the job is (or at least should be) Josh's to lose, and to lose during the season.  But Schiano's comments are downright bizarre, and he's talking out of both sides of his mouth.  And once someone starts compulsively reassuring people he's not cheating on his wife, well, let's just say there's likely a reason for it.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #294 : May 19, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »

From that article:

I don't think it makes any sense to start Glennon this year, outside of injury Vin.  It makes no sense, the job is (or at least should be) Josh's to lose, and to lose during the season.  But Schiano's comments are downright bizarre, and he's talking out of both sides of his mouth.  And once someone starts compulsively reassuring people he's not cheating on his wife, well, let's just say there's likely a reason for it.

one reason is because Schiano wins if Freeman wins . .  its not that complicated.

In all seriousness, you need to put down your " I HATE JOSH" sign when you type . . . here's an example, even when you describe Schiano's comment as "talking out both sides of his mouth" (when he says Free is the starter-lol)  the only interpretation you see is "Schiano is lying about the Pro-Free part" 

Schiano and everyone in OBP wants Josh to succeed because if he does they do

BigSombrero1

Rookie

« #295 : May 19, 2013, 08:00:09 PM »

one reason is because Schiano wins if Freeman wins . .  its not that complicated.

In all seriousness, you need to put down your " I HATE JOSH" sign when you type . . . here's an example, even when you describe Schiano's comment as "talking out both sides of his mouth" (when he says Free is the starter-lol)  the only interpretation you see is "Schiano is lying about the Pro-Free part" 

If Glennon succeeds then they do as well.  I am for the best player starting in this situation.  Free has had 4 years to prove he was the starter, more time than a lot of QB's get, and he hasn't done it.  Im not writing Free off though.  He has shown that he has the ability to not only be good, but great.  He just hasn't shown he could do it consistently and there are few qualities, if any, more important to the QB position than consistency.  Some say our season is in trouble if we bench Free.  From what I have seen,  Free under center hasn't boded well for us either.  Last year I was optimistic about him but this year, i'm only hopeful.  In my mind Free isn't the answer and until he shows otherwise, for a whole season, my mind wont be changing on that one.  Is Glennon our best bet?  No one knows for sure.  Is Freeman our best choice?  Again, no one knows, and thats an answer in itself in my mind.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #296 : May 19, 2013, 08:30:43 PM »

If Glennon succeeds then they do as well. 

I only meant that a precursor to Glennon doing well is Freeman doing poorly, which no one wants (aside from a few on these boards -lol)

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #297 : May 19, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »

At this early stage, It is a FACT that Freeman has an NFL experience edge on Glennon. With that said, even if Glennon plays better in the upcoming TC, Schiano would likely stick with the more experienced player, Freeman. However, the first real game Freeman brain-farts enough to cost us the game, Schiano is gonna start at least considering making a change for the next game. Schiano wants to WIN, and will do what he and his ACs think gives them the best chance...
    The 49ers had a 1st rounder at QB, Alex Smith, who even took them into the playoffs. Despite that success, part way into last season, they made the switch to special-K, and the rest is history... Same scenario COULD unfold here...  8)

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #298 : May 19, 2013, 08:52:37 PM »

Actually, Smith got hurt iirc.

BigSombrero1

Rookie

« #299 : May 19, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »

Actually, Smith got hurt iirc.
Yeah he did and you better believe Free will get the same treatment if he has to miss a game.  Thats probably a dream scenario for Schiano.  Something that takes Free out for a week so he can put his guy Glennon in.

If Schiano made Glennon the starter out of training camp and Glennon didn't have a successful, complete season, Schiano would bring immense heat onto himself.  If Free gets hurt, it gives Schiano the freebie he needs to get Glennon in and see what he's got.  All Glennon would have to do is play well that one game and no one would blame Schiano for making the move.
  Page: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 32
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Glennon is a legitimate threat to Freeman PERIOD! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools