Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pretty Pathetic: 1st Story on SportsCenter (17+ minutes)... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#45 : May 01, 2013, 02:55:40 PM

The media answer is quite simple.  If you want to say the hero label is a poor one, that's fine, and I'm not sure I totally disagree with you.  But the coverage is there for two reasons.  One: it is a big deal, whether you like it or not.  And two: people are responding to it, both positively and negatively, showing that they indeed do care about hearing about it.  Not to mention that the negative response is the big reason why it is a story.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#46 : May 01, 2013, 03:53:01 PM

There has been very little PUBLIC, NEGATIVE response. Why?
Stupid PC, imo.

For the record i like Kobe's ON THE COURT comments vs. OFF THECOURT comments on the issue. LOL.

I'd say the Gay Community got a bunt single on this announcement-- a nobody benchwarmer at the end of his career who's just a confused gay (out of a 7 year  relationship with his fiance(jerk move))..... their big "Jackie Robinson moment" turned into a Nothing, if you ask me!! :-)

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"

Bookert1905

Starter
#47 : May 01, 2013, 04:05:25 PM

Chronic is so far in the closet it isn't funny. All these posts about gays, that he is "tired" of seeing is comical.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#48 : May 01, 2013, 05:07:18 PM

Cool story bro.

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#49 : May 01, 2013, 07:30:48 PM

well, I think you actually answered the question, so thanks.

I certainly get the frustration with the media, but I am not sure we would see it the same way if we were part of the group in question. Today's over reactions are a product of yesterday's under reactions, both are unfortunate.

The reason why I don't answer the question is because it is not the point I was trying to make, and it would only cause the thread to divert off onto a tangent about the pros and cons of homosexuality. I am Catholic so I don't think it takes Albert Einstein to figure out which side of the fence I sit on. But then again, in this day and age that is not a given.

Well that's not what I meant. You answers because your answer implies choice. No big deal

Hate

Hall of Famer
#50 : May 01, 2013, 07:50:56 PM

build it up just to make it a bigger issue than it should.

I feel sorry for the first poor schmuck that says anything that could even be remotely construed as critical. Jeez, can you imagine the conniption if someone was to suggest separate showers? After all we don't have co-ed showers do we? Just playing devils advocate there.

I mean...he's been gay his whole life.  He's been in showers with other men his whole life.  And shockingly, nothing happened from that and he never tried to jump anyone in the shower.  Why should there be separate showers?

No. He was engaged to a woman not too long ago.

are you suggesting that he just "became" gay?

-------------------------------------------------------

Hate

Hall of Famer
#51 : May 01, 2013, 07:57:15 PM

Regarding the (rather dumb) question of if he "chose to be gay":

If being gay is a choice then so is being straight. Do you choose to be straight? Do you wake up in the am and think "today I think I'll be attracted to women"? Could you just as easily get aroused by a guy as by a girl, but you chose to concentrate on the girl THAT DAY??

I know for myself that I CAN NOT CHOOSE TO BE GAY because I am and will always be straight. Hot women catch my attention not because of some decision I made but because they just do. I cannot CHOOSE to find men attractive, I will never find men attractive so I must have been BORN STRAIGHT. Since there are only 2 possibilities gay or straight, logic dictates that if I didn't choose to be straight, then the opposite must also be true and gays do not choose to gay.

If you believe that anyone can possibly choose to be gay, then you must believe that you yourself could easily choose to be gay if you wanted to. If that is the case I suggest you look at your surroundings and realize they are the walls of a closet, open the door and come on out. But if you realize you yourself couldn't find a way to find guys attractive and therefore couldn't choose to be gay, then just accept that some people are born different and their brains are just wired different and as long as they aren't hurting anyone else accept them and live and let live.

damn man... can always count on you for sensible posts. Very well done!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

spartan

Hall of Famer
#52 : May 01, 2013, 08:44:17 PM

well, I think you actually answered the question, so thanks.

I certainly get the frustration with the media, but I am not sure we would see it the same way if we were part of the group in question. Today's over reactions are a product of yesterday's under reactions, both are unfortunate.

The reason why I don't answer the question is because it is not the point I was trying to make, and it would only cause the thread to divert off onto a tangent about the pros and cons of homosexuality. I am Catholic so I don't think it takes Albert Einstein to figure out which side of the fence I sit on. But then again, in this day and age that is not a given.

Well that's not what I meant. You answers because your answer implies choice. No big deal

In which case I didn't understand the question. Sorry. Feel free to elaborate.

Mr. Milich

Hall of Famer
#53 : May 01, 2013, 08:58:15 PM

Look at sexuality as a scale w/ absolute homo on one end and absolute hetero on the other. Then bisexuality would be by definition in the middle.

If you can accept that premise in your thinking and understand that simple definitions of gay and straight do not exist then you should be able to recognize that the scale of human sexuality is fluid or transitory.

Using a hetero example; some men are more sexually aroused by a nice ass others prefer large breasts. Now, take that simple preference and extrapolate it along the sexual continuum.

This ain't rocket science folks.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#54 : May 02, 2013, 10:34:30 PM

I read that it has been suggested the whole reason for coming out of the closet publicly at this time is just a contract ploy by a player who is about to be waived and out of the league.   If that is the case expect a huge discrimination lawsuit against the NBA if no other team shows interest.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#55 : May 03, 2013, 12:03:01 AM

I read that it has been suggested the whole reason for coming out of the closet publicly at this time is just a contract ploy by a player who is about to be waived and out of the league.   If that is the case expect a huge discrimination lawsuit against the NBA if no other team shows interest.

huh?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#56 : May 03, 2013, 08:57:38 AM

huh?

If he is waived you don't believe there wouldn't be lawyers lined up to claim he is being waived because he is a homosexual?  Isn't that just about the perfect PC lawsuit today?

If you think about it why on earth now the big announcement?    "ALL ABOUT ME"??  By the same token TE'O and the fake girlfriend?   Looks quite logical that he wants to keep his sexuality in the closet and just about everyone has bought into it.  Why was it announced during the draft combine participants being asked about girlfriends?
Make em a HERO for announcing it to the world  keep it hush! hush! if they want it to remain secret by creating fake girlfriends.

We live in probably the strangest most convoluted era in the history of mankind in the US concerning sexual matters.  From approval to disapproval of Homosexuality to bare butts and chests of men being acceptable but women's butts and chests being fuzzed out.   Call Sandusky a Homosexual pedophile and you will be attacked.  Demonizing Debra Lafave for completely shattering the innocence of a teenage boy? Applause by the PC crowd... while I think the majority of boys that age would consider that a THANK YOU GOD! moment!

Strange very strange... Is this a prelude to the country becoming Muslim in its dealing with sexual issues? :'( :-[ ??? :o

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#57 : May 03, 2013, 10:08:47 AM

Why the hell does this have to be news? Why did Collins feel the need to come out of the closet in such a public way?

Maybe he wanted do his part to show young people that it's OK to be gay. And the more public figures that do this, the more certain people (teens?) will feel like less of an outcast and less depressed.

And for those like Spartan that think that just because a gay man dated and/or was married for a period of time to a woman, that means he's bisexual? Vince has already explained this to you but you still refuse to see why it's not that simple.

http://www.livescience.com/13755-homosexual-lgb-teen-suicide-rates-environments.html

Gay, lesbian and bisexual teens are five times more likely to commit suicide than their heterosexual counterparts, but a supportive environment in their schools and communities can make a difference, new research suggests.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#58 : May 03, 2013, 04:13:11 PM

Why the hell does this have to be news? Why did Collins feel the need to come out of the closet in such a public way?

Maybe he wanted do his part to show young people that it's OK to be gay. And the more public figures that do this, the more certain people (teens?) will feel like less of an outcast and less depressed.

And for those like Spartan that think that just because a gay man dated and/or was married for a period of time to a woman, that means he's bisexual? Vince has already explained this to you but you still refuse to see why it's not that simple.

http://www.livescience.com/13755-homosexual-lgb-teen-suicide-rates-environments.html

Gay, lesbian and bisexual teens are five times more likely to commit suicide than their heterosexual counterparts, but a supportive environment in their schools and communities can make a difference, new research suggests.

And what did Heather Locklear credit for her youthful looking face?

The quote..... she was asked if she had any recommendations for anti-aging skincare products. Her reply? "You just put semen on your face."

Now that was funny!!  I bet the PC crowd shuddered!   Even if factually true I thought it was great when she shocked the Paparazzi with her comment..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17/semen-anti-aging_n_3101168.html

spartan

Hall of Famer
#59 : May 03, 2013, 04:34:34 PM

I just think that 7 years is a bit longer than a "period of time".

I am not beating up on him for being gay, I am cynical considering his known history. That being him dating a woman for 7 years and getting engaged to her. If this was the 50's or 60's, yea I can see him trying to build a "normal" lifestyle cover story, but it doesn't seem necessary these days.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pretty Pathetic: 1st Story on SportsCenter (17+ minutes)... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools