Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Belichick, New England Patriots show Rutgers love « previous next »
Page: 1

J-Train

Pro Bowler

: April 30, 2013, 05:05:07 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165020/article/bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-show-rutgers-love

By Marc Sessler

"The New England Patriots dispatched scouts nationwide to find talent in the 2013 NFL Draft, but it appears they like players from one particular university.

Coach Bill Belichick used three of the Patriots' seven selections at this year's draft on Rutgers players.

The Patriots grabbed cornerback Logan Ryan with the No. 83 overall pick in the third round before taking his teammate, safety Duron Harmon, at No. 91. With their final pick in the seventh round, the Patriots added undersized (6-foot-1, 240-pound) linebacker Steve Beauharnais, also a Rutgers man.

The Patriots last year added Rutgers undrafted free agent Justin Francis to play on the defensive line. And let's not forget about veteran defensive back Devin McCourty, who -- you guessed it -- played at Rutgers.

What gives?

"I think the reason why Rutgers guys have success at the Patriots is because we're built to play football on the field, but live like a professional off the field," Ryan told ESPNBoston.com on Friday. "That's something that we're taught, and that's something that I'm going to bring to the Patriots organization."

Belichick's close friendship with Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano -- who coached at Rutgers from 2001 to 2011 -- is a factor in the Patriots' thinking. Schiano groomed tough-minded players who mold well to the Patriots' way of life. Besides, Belichick's son, Steve, played lacrosse there.

"We've had a number of our players here comment on (Ryan's and Harmon's) personal characteristics," Belichick said Friday, before adding Beauharnais to the mix. "I think we're getting some high-quality guys as well as some good football players."

Because it's Belichick, we'll take his word for it.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL."

Used 3 out of their 7 picks on Rutgers players. Interesting.

Thanks for the sig Java!

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 30, 2013, 05:43:17 PM

He's only doing it to make his friend Schiano look good, obviously. Belichick is just being a friend. He's also an excellent shower pal.

xBuCsX_4_XeVax

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#2 : April 30, 2013, 06:10:43 PM

He's only doing it to make his friend Schiano look good, obviously. Belichick is just being a friend. He's also an excellent shower pal.

dude you're being an ignorant troll..I'm a die hard Scarlet Knight fan and let me tell you that we have great talent here in Jersey. These kids are getting drafted because they're football players and good young men not because you think BB is trying make anyone else look good. The only way to feed his family is by winning games not making coach S look good.

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#3 : April 30, 2013, 06:33:55 PM

[dude you're being an ignorant troll..I'm a die hard Scarlet Knight fan and let me tell you that we have great talent here in Jersey. These kids are getting drafted because they're football players and good young men not because you think BB is trying make anyone else look good. The only way to feed his family is by winning games not making coach S look good.

Dude, he was being VERY sarcastic....   

*******************************Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.

xBuCsX_4_XeVax

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#4 : April 30, 2013, 06:49:41 PM

[dude you're being an ignorant troll..I'm a die hard Scarlet Knight fan and let me tell you that we have great talent here in Jersey. These kids are getting drafted because they're football players and good young men not because you think BB is trying make anyone else look good. The only way to feed his family is by winning games not making coach S look good.

Dude, he was being VERY sarcastic....   

that's not the point. i know a lot of you don't agree with what Schiano brings to the table and yes he might be a little strict but it'll all pay off some day..just look a Tom Coughlin from NY he's just as strong if not stronger with his players then S. and coaching that way won his team a couple SB...I'm not always happy with his ways but he did turn our college program around in only a couple years`...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 30, 2013, 11:34:13 PM

that's not the point. ...

thats exactly the point.  it looked as though he was agreeing with you.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 30, 2013, 11:36:06 PM

Duron Harmon was the biggest reach of the draft.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#7 : May 01, 2013, 12:04:51 AM

Schiano = idiot for getting Rutgers players on Bucs
Bellichick = ?

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#8 : May 01, 2013, 01:24:05 AM

that's not the point. ...

thats exactly the point.  it looked as though he was agreeing with you.
+1 - he was agreeing with you by using sarcasm...

*******************************Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Belichick, New England Patriots show Rutgers love « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools