Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs have high hopes for Deveron Carr « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 01, 2013, 12:21:28 AM

Bucs have high hopes for Deveron Carr

April, 29, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Undrafted free agents usually are long shots to make an NFL regular-season roster. But you might want to keep an eye on Deveron Carr.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers sure are treating the Arizona State cornerback differently than the average undrafted free agent. The Bucs have given Carr a $15,000 signing bonus and guaranteed $5,000 of his base salary.

Many undrafted free agents dont even get signing bonuses and those who do often top out at $5,000. Carrs signing bonus is the highest Ive seen so far for any undrafted free agent across the league.

Why did the Bucs sweeten the pot for Carr? Obviously, they must think he has some talent. But Carr probably was getting a decent offer somewhere else and the Bucs stepped up to make sure they got him.

In addition to Carr, the Bucs announced they have signed 13 other undrafted free agents. They are UCLA receiver Jerry Johnson, South Florida tight end Evan Landi, Northern Illinois cornerback Rashaan Melvin, Texas receiver D.J. Monroe, Buffalo linebacker Willie Moseley, Arizona State tackle Brice Schwab, Purdue running back Akeem Shavers, Western Kentucky guard Adam Smith, Georgia cornerback Branden Smith, Massachusetts offensive tackle Nick Speller, Southern Mississippi offensive tackle Jason Weaver and Rutgers receiver Tim Wright.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 01, 2013, 09:18:34 PM

Carr is also a KR with 4.3x speed...

Wouldn't be surprised if he takes a CB/KR spot on the roster..

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Super Selmon

Starter
#2 : May 01, 2013, 09:38:19 PM

He has chance to  make the final 53. Speed Kills,

Lot of speed guys signed, might be a surprise who makes the final roster.

Better be good at multiple postions or you won't make this team.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 01, 2013, 10:31:08 PM

We also signed Mason Robinson from Rutgers. Dudeis 5'11" 200lbs, ran a 4.35 and plays DB, RB, WR, and KR.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 01, 2013, 10:50:31 PM

From NFP:

STRENGTHS - Carr has decent footwork in his backpedal and has the ability to maintain coverage in short to mid yard routes. Has solid speed and can be very quick to the ball. Can play tight man coverage and has the ability to make solid plays on the ball and knock the ball away.

WEAKNESSES -Carr has a slow hip turn and if he gets turned he is not able to recover well on a deep route. He is not a very physical player and is not a guy that will "fly" to the football. He does not appear to have the ability to explode. His footwork can be choppy at times and slow him down.

SUMMARY - Carr is an average cornerback. He gets off the snap well and gets into coverage well. He shows the ability to maintain coverage in short and mid yard routes, but he does not appear to be able to maintain coverage deep consistently. He does not have a great hip turn and if he's turned, he will have trouble recovering quickly enough to get back into tight coverage. He does not explode very well to the ball, and is not a guy who will be all over the field and be around the ball at all times. Carr needs to become a much more physical player especially when trying to break off from a block. He seems content to often and therefore is unable to make a tackle in the open field. Overall, I feel Carr will get some looks and has enough ability to make it into training camp, but he does not have enough talent to become a starting cornerback in the NFL.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 01, 2013, 10:56:22 PM

I have high hopes for Rashaan Melvin.  He looks like a ballhawk on the videos I seen. I hope he takes somebody's spot.

Psych

Starter

#6 : May 01, 2013, 11:03:19 PM

Carr is a leader of his team and is a high character guy. Would love to see him excel and make the team, but we'll see. He seems like a very genuinely good dude.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#7 : May 01, 2013, 11:27:58 PM

I have high hopes for Rashaan Melvin.  He looks like a ballhawk on the videos I seen. I hope he takes somebody's spot.

Melvin looks like a baller
http://youtu.be/U1lcPPma8GU

Also Branden Smith from Georgia might just be the fastest of them all
http://youtu.be/fCtSJFVt4Yk

We will have a fast team this year!
: May 01, 2013, 11:35:31 PM Timbuc2

youngone

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 01, 2013, 11:33:50 PM

Whoa... That dude Branden Smith can fly.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#9 : May 01, 2013, 11:40:11 PM

Whoa... That dude Branden Smith can fly.

I hope that some of these guys with speed pan out. Myron Lewis, EJ Biggers, etc...there was never any speed there at all.

Looks like the scouting dept. has don a nice job!

youngone

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 01, 2013, 11:41:42 PM

I agree

The Freeman

Starter

#11 : May 02, 2013, 07:34:55 AM

CB Rashaan Melvin & OG Adam Smith are my favorite udfa's signing

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#12 : May 02, 2013, 08:36:02 AM

Thought Braden Smith had some issues at UGA and hence went undrafted.
Longshot, but an interesting prospect.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#13 : May 02, 2013, 11:54:25 AM

I hope that some of these guys with speed pan out. Myron Lewis, EJ Biggers, etc...there was never any speed there at all.
Looks like the scouting dept. has don a nice job!
?
possibly no game speed, but those guys definitely have speed.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs have high hopes for Deveron Carr « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools