Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New Orleans Saints and Carolina Panthers writers grade the Bucs draft picks « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 04, 2013, 12:03:38 AM »

2013 NFL Draft: NFC South Bloggers Grade the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Draft Picks

May 3rd, 2013 at 7:53 pm by Leo Howell

Over the past week, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ division rivals have been just as busy as the Bucs, adding to the roster via the draft and free agency. And just like the teams, the writers of the teams have been hard at work scouring the web for information on the newest members of the division. To get an outsiders’ perspective of the Buccaneers’ draft choices, we got the chance to have the editors of the New Orleans Saints and Carolina Panthers sites on the Fansided network grade the Bucs draft, and here’s what they thought of the job Mark Dominik and his team did.

Ken Dye of CatCrave graded the Buccaneers draft like this:

2nd round: Johnthan Banks, Cornerback, Mississippi State – Grade: BBanks slid out of the first round due to lack of elite cover skills, but is a tall 6’2″ press corner. May need safety help over the top against faster NFL receivers, however.

3rd round: Mike Glennon, Quarterback, North Carolina State – Grade: A
 Russell Wilson lost his job to this guy in college and Glennon has the best arm in the entire draft. Josh Freeman’s feeling some extra heat in his contract year.

4th round: Akeem Spence, Defensive Tackle, Illinois – Grade: C
 Not sold on him as an NFL run-clogger but they could use the help and depth at the position. Moderate ceiling, but low floor.

4th round: William Gholston, Defensive End, Michigan State – Grade: D
 Cousin of Jets’ major bust at #6 overall Vernon Gholston, William has huge talent but was inconsistent in college. Sounds familiar….

5th round: Steven Means, Defensive End, Buffalo – Grade: B
 Good value for a guy who could become a decent edge-rusher. Compare Means and Gholston as they develop, interesting.

6th round: Mike James Running Back Miami – Grade: A
 Great value for this guy. Big, strong, versatile. Ceiling isn’t all that high, but his floor should be.

Chris Roling of WhoDatDish graded the Buccaneers’ draft this way:

2nd round: Johnthan Banks, Cornerback, Mississippi State – Grade: A
 Banks is a solid add for a secondary with arguably the best safety combo already in place.

3rd round: Mike Glennon, Quarterback, North Carolina State – Grade: A
 Solid value pick here, and outstanding insurance should Josh Freeman falter.

4th round: Akeem Spence, Defensive Tackle, Illinois – Grade: C
 Good value and depth here in the fourth round. Needs to develop.

4th round: William Gholston, Defensive End, Michigan State – Grade: C
 Inconsistency plagued Gholston in college, but could be a great rotational option.

5th round: Steven Means, Defensive End, Buffalo – Grade: B-
 Good value here, even more depth and the potential for a scary pass-rush rotation.

6th round: Mike James Running Back Miami – Grade: A
 Solid selection who fills the void as a bruising runner in short-yardage situations.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/05/03/2013-nfl-draft-nfc-south-bloggers-grade-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers-draft-picks/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Hot%2BTopics

flashgordon

Pro Bowler
« #1 : May 04, 2013, 01:37:04 AM »

It's definitely fascinating to see their perspective.  I for have been enjoying Mike James youtube highlights.  I'm not expecting this guy to be the next anything; but, he should be a productive and valuable player for us.

Ali Akbar Khan Raga Chandranandan,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CtXORtvvYM

Naismith

Hall of Famer
« #2 : May 04, 2013, 01:54:51 AM »

I think Dominik's comments about expecting Spence to start and James to be the #2 were interesting. With Banks being the #2 or the nickel CB and the #1 pick going to Revis, if they get another starter (Spence) and top RB backup (James) out of the draft, that's a pretty good haul.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

ToddyBuc

Hall of Famer

« #3 : May 04, 2013, 02:17:48 AM »

I love how the Panther guy just because Vernon Gholston was a bust that means our Gholston is destined for failure.... But good reviews overall.....

I did not know Wilson lost his job to Glennon....  Cant wait to see him in pre season action..

Bucs-Lightning already World Champions. Rays Next!!!

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

« #4 : May 04, 2013, 03:36:47 AM »

Lol @ best safety combo. Perhaps if Barron breaks out this year..

Go Bucs

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #5 : May 04, 2013, 04:21:12 AM »

I'm pretty upset Saints got Ryan Griffin, wouldve preferred we drafted him later in the draft, but I am okay with Glennon. Griffin went undrafted, but he has plenty of ability that translate to the NFL.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 04, 2013, 07:22:50 AM »

Yup. Sure, both guys will deck you and have a very physical presence, but both guys will have to step up vs the pass...especially Barron.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #7 : May 04, 2013, 07:59:02 AM »

Don't know much about James other than what I've read.  But his real strengh seems to be not having a real weakness.
Can't say that about Spence, Gholston or Means.

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

« #8 : May 04, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »

Yup. Sure, both guys will deck you and have a very physical presence, but both guys will have to step up vs the pass...especially Barron.

Don't get me wrong it may be a top 5 safety combo in the league but Barron didn't do enough for me last year to warrant them as the "best" safety combo

Go Bucs

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #9 : May 04, 2013, 12:10:21 PM »

Yeah I'd take much improved from Barron, although a Pro Bowl at some point would be nice.

In Verner We Trust

ToddyBuc

Hall of Famer

« #10 : May 04, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »

Yeah he played on the worse secondary in Buc history, if you dont think Goldson-Revis-Banks are not going to help this kid reach a much higher level than your fooling yourself...

Barron is young and can only learn from 2 pro bowlers flanking him on each side...

Bucs-Lightning already World Champions. Rays Next!!!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #11 : May 04, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »

I think Dominik's comments about expecting Spence to start and James to be the #2 were interesting. With Banks being the #2 or the nickel CB and the #1 pick going to Revis, if they get another starter (Spence) and top RB backup (James) out of the draft, that's a pretty good haul.

What are you talking about? Besides Revis, the Bucs didn't improve the team whatsoever.

Yes, that's sarcasm directed at the bozos spouting that nonsense in various threads on these boards.

Is it August yet?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #12 : May 04, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »

..They only HOPE Schiano gives the job to Glennon eventually.

After all, they don't want freeman doing the "kat dance" in the endzone like he did the "bird dance" on the falcons.

And the Saints are on the downslide of their talent with a weak defense. They would love nothing more than to have freeman stop passing it on them.

Next we'll hear from them that (whoever now backs up Martin) should start.. pffft

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

« #13 : May 04, 2013, 04:18:47 PM »

Really warming up to this Steve Means guy. Might just be a sleeper pick.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #14 : May 04, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »

"Means... Sweep the leg!"

- Coach Schiano, as he's wiping blood from Means nose.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New Orleans Saints and Carolina Panthers writers grade the Bucs draft picks « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools