Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shift in League year dates imminent... « previous next »
Page: 1

blind melon

Hall of Famer

: May 20, 2013, 03:32:35 PM

Hmmm....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9295316/nfl-close-shifting-draft-sources

The NFL and NFL Players Association are on the verge of pushing back the draft to May and moving up the start of the league year to before the Indianapolis scouting combine, according to league and union sources.

As for the draft, the NFLPA is close to signing off on allowing the NFL to move the draft to May from April for at least the next three years, according to sources. Under the current collective bargaining agreement, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell can set the date of the draft without the NFLPA's approval, although he would prefer to have the union's blessing to maintain league harmony.

The start of the new league year is now expected to be moved to before the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis rather than after it, per league sources. The NFLPA wanted to give free agents a chance to find new teams sooner.

The NFL originally proposed a league year that would have started later in the calendar year and the NFLPA rejected that idea, believing it to be unfair to its players.

This year's scouting combine took place from Feb. 20-26. The 2013 league year began on March 12.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 20, 2013, 03:46:58 PM

These new changes seem to be motivated by free agency. With the new system that is in place it seems that FA is playing a greater role in the NFL. The League would like to allow for more time and media coverage of this venue in the league to help give the league greater exposure through out the year. I think it is a great move. Just as long as the draft does not interfere with mothers day

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 20, 2013, 04:08:40 PM

LOL; it's ALREADY hard to wait 'til the end of April to know who we're getting in the draft... ;D

ingey1968

Starter

#3 : May 20, 2013, 05:01:54 PM

yeah, far too much time between the combines and the draft as it is. 

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 20, 2013, 05:41:13 PM

I think this syncs up with the school year, 'tho...

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 20, 2013, 05:43:54 PM

I'm for it. However, they combine should then be moved to March thus giving the "hurt" players more time to heal and train.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shift in League year dates imminent... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools