Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One name remains missing from the Ring « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#75 : May 12, 2013, 02:04:18 PM

stats mean nothing: McKay's record was 44-88-1

he shouldn't be in there either.  dungy, gruden and even kiffen are actually more deserving.  but much like Doug people have a soft spot for McKay because he was here in the beginning.  Again, what is the ROH?  i think its becoming more about remembering fan favorites than honoring the elite(which is what is should be).

LIke someone said above, we shouldn't just make it another HOF by only putting in people with great stats. However, we can't just put in anyone because of them being popular with fans.

In addition to our great players, I think the ROH is perfect for someone like Brian Kelly who was an underrated guy who played very well here for many years.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#76 : May 12, 2013, 04:28:01 PM

"gives me a much more credible perspective"^^

Weak. Gonna play that card. I met Doug about 3 years ago(not 20 years ago) and smug comes to mind. Not to mention he was completely incompetent as the scouting director but we'll not go there

That is probably because you are just a fan and didn't actually know him personally.  Probably stuck a pen in his face and demanded an autograph!  NOW THAT IS WEAK!

Oh and out of curiosity how old were you when Doug was leading the Bucs?   Lets call it a test of your honesty and character since you wish to demean Doug's?

"probably because you are just a fan"

Good call bud. But I would never call someone a dooosh for not giving me an autograph(I attempt to get a couple at training camp but I'm usually passive and let all the kids get in front of me). I met Doug at a charity even hosted by a friend of mine and had a small group discussion between he my friend and another former Bucs player. How in the world that man got a front office job is beyond me.

I wasn't alive for Dougs playin days but I was alive for what he did most recently for the bucs and how much of a collasal failure it was.

I wasn't alive for Dougs playin days but I was alive for what he did most recently for the bucs and how much of a collasal failure it was.

That bolded statement shows clearly that your opinion on Doug as a player should never be taken seriously by those that were here when he was a played for the Bucs.

Don't have an opinion on how he was in the office but he couldn't be any worse that Rah Rah, Dominik, or Rich McKay.  R+ D showed how you take a playoff contender and turn it into a expansion franchise in less than a year.  As to McKay he certainly didn't do Gruden nor the Bucs any favors in the Cap Hell he left the organization with but that really is another tangent that has nothing to do with Williams being placed in the Ring of Honor.  It certainly would right a wrong done by the organization when he was  a player. Doug Williams was the true beginning of respected Black QB's, and ended up a Super Bowl winner.  Not many QB's can make that statement.

The Bucs were beloved by much of the nation due to them making Williams a first round pick.  That he eventually took the Bucs to the NFC championship and won a Super Bowl with the Redskins is just some more frosting on the cake.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#77 : May 12, 2013, 04:31:11 PM

Rather obvious that the young and disrespectful are completely ignorant of the Doug Williams years.    I guess because I knew him personally I have a different viewpoint.  Of course the fact that my wife was a part of the BUCS PR department for the first 10 years gives me a much more credible perspective.

Oh and the 80's were miserable after Williams left...  Anyone that watched the Bucs go from 0-26 to the NFC championship understands. If you weren't there you just will never understand. 

Speaking of Brooks does anyone feel the Bucs gave him a proper respectful send off?     Glad to see the Bucs finally got it right with Ronde.

I guess we should put Chris Simms in the ROH because we haven't made the playoffs since we cut him.

Clueless and ignorant comment by someone that wasn't present when Doug was drafted and played for the Bucs.  Did Chris Simms take the Bucs to the NFC championship?  Did he ever win a Super Bowl.  Was he drafted in the First round?  NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT!  ;D

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#78 : May 12, 2013, 04:36:05 PM

Shaun King took the Bucs to the NFC Championship and won a Super Bowl! Second rounder, though.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#79 : May 12, 2013, 04:44:30 PM

Hardy is the guy that I want in.

how soon after Brooks?

-------------------------------------------------------

Hate

Hall of Famer
#80 : May 12, 2013, 04:52:16 PM

I never watched one play of Jimmy Giles, but a guy with those numbers doesnt belong in any ring of honor. If om not mistaken, he never accomplished 50 catches, 800 yards, or more than 8 TDs in one season. Thats simply not ROH worthy

You're nuts.... and the bolded portion explains the rest of your post.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#81 : May 12, 2013, 05:04:53 PM

Rather obvious that the young and disrespectful are completely ignorant of the Doug Williams years.    I guess because I knew him personally I have a different viewpoint.  Of course the fact that my wife was a part of the BUCS PR department for the first 10 years gives me a much more credible perspective.

Oh and the 80's were miserable after Williams left...  Anyone that watched the Bucs go from 0-26 to the NFC championship understands. If you weren't there you just will never understand. 

Speaking of Brooks does anyone feel the Bucs gave him a proper respectful send off?     Glad to see the Bucs finally got it right with Ronde.

I guess we should put Chris Simms in the ROH because we haven't made the playoffs since we cut him.

Clueless and ignorant comment by someone that wasn't present when Doug was drafted and played for the Bucs.  Did Chris Simms take the Bucs to the NFC championship?  Did he ever win a Super Bowl.  Was he drafted in the First round?  NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT!  ;D

How is draft status or what he did for another team relevant to being in the Bucs ROH? Steve Young was a superior player and he doesn't belong anywhere near the Bucs ROH.

He didn't carry the Bucs anywhere. Ricky Bell, the defense, and Jimmy Giles carried them there. He led his team to a whopping 0 points despite the defense giving him every opportunity in the world to keep the game winnable.

RiotHeart

Starter

#82 : May 12, 2013, 05:11:16 PM

So we should put in Shaun king right? He took us to to nfccg over how long of a drought?

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#83 : May 12, 2013, 05:13:38 PM

how soon after Brooks?

Well, when I thought they were going in chronological order, Hardy first. If they're not going in order, I want Brooks in right after Selmon. Brooks is my favorite player ever and didn't get the sendoff he deserved. I assume he's going in next year after he gets in the HOF.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#84 : May 12, 2013, 05:17:43 PM

how soon after Brooks?

Well, when I thought they were going in chronological order, Hardy first. If they're not going in order, I want Brooks in right after Selmon. Brooks is my favorite player ever and didn't get the sendoff he deserved. I assume he's going in next year after he gets in the HOF.

I assume you meant Brooks after Sapp.... to which i agree. Then you want Nickerson, which would put him ahead of Lynch or the ultimate fan fav, Mark Alstott....which i don't see happening. I could actually see Alstott go in after Brooks.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#85 : May 12, 2013, 05:25:29 PM

I meant that if I knew from the outset that it wasn't in chronological order, I would have wanted Brooks to go in right after Selmon. I assume Sapp is going in now instead of waiting because of the HOF honor and since Brooks is going into the HOF next year, I'd assume he gets the same treatment.

In order, I'd like Brooks, Nickerson, Lynch, Rice and then Barber. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#86 : May 12, 2013, 05:27:36 PM

how soon after Brooks?

I assume you meant Brooks after Sapp.... to which i agree. Then you want Nickerson, which would put him ahead of Lynch or the ultimate fan fav, Mark Alstott....which i don't see happening. I could actually see Alstott go in after Brooks.

Assuming Brooks makes the HOF next season, he'll go in the ROH next year and I think Nickerson will go in after Lynch and Alstott are put in. If Brooks doesn't make the HOF in 2013....and I only say that because HOF election is really bizarre sometimes with the NFL.....then Lynch or Alstott might go in next year instead.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#87 : May 12, 2013, 05:58:39 PM

"gives me a much more credible perspective"^^

Weak. Gonna play that card. I met Doug about 3 years ago(not 20 years ago) and smug comes to mind. Not to mention he was completely incompetent as the scouting director but we'll not go there

That is probably because you are just a fan and didn't actually know him personally.  Probably stuck a pen in his face and demanded an autograph!  NOW THAT IS WEAK!

Oh and out of curiosity how old were you when Doug was leading the Bucs?   Lets call it a test of your honesty and character since you wish to demean Doug's?

"probably because you are just a fan"

Good call bud. But I would never call someone a dooosh for not giving me an autograph(I attempt to get a couple at training camp but I'm usually passive and let all the kids get in front of me). I met Doug at a charity even hosted by a friend of mine and had a small group discussion between he my friend and another former Bucs player. How in the world that man got a front office job is beyond me.

That bolded statement shows clearly that your opinion on Doug as a player should never be taken seriously by those that were here when he was a played for the Bucs.

Don't have an opinion on how he was in the office but he couldn't be any worse that Rah Rah, Dominik, or Rich McKay.  R+ D showed how you take a playoff contender and turn it into a expansion franchise in less than a year.  As to McKay he certainly didn't do Gruden nor the Bucs any favors in the Cap Hell he left the organization with but that really is another tangent that has nothing to do with Williams being placed in the Ring of Honor.  It certainly would right a wrong done by the organization when he was  a player. Doug Williams was the true beginning of respected Black QB's, and ended up a Super Bowl winner.  Not many QB's can make that statement.

The Bucs were beloved by much of the nation due to them making Williams a first round pick.  That he eventually took the Bucs to the NFC championship and won a Super Bowl with the Redskins is just some more frosting on the cake.

Doug Williams couldn't hold McKay's jock in terms of value of this franchise. He built a super bowl team. Doug lost an NFC chanpionship; not unlike Sean King.

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#88 : May 12, 2013, 06:01:00 PM

"Respected black quarterbacks" and "Doug Williams" are an overplayed comparison. Much like any movement in civil rights, it was predicated on the ideals of many people.

For the last 30 years one color has matters in the NFL. Green.

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#89 : May 12, 2013, 06:04:38 PM

Doug's overrated. He had as many picks as he did touchdowns. He didn't even sniff a probowler or all pro voting

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One name remains missing from the Ring « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools