Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One name remains missing from the Ring « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15

Runole

Hall of Famer
#45 : May 09, 2013, 09:12:16 PM

Well I was definitely around.

And there is no doubt in my mind Doug Williams should be in the ROH. His impact on this team, and its early evolution, go so far beyond stats. You just had to be there.

Agree... It is rather obvious his detractors weren't around when he was here.   As to the argument that he went to Washington the same could be said for Sapp who went to Oakland.

Point is as soon as Williams left, the Bucs became arguably the most consistently terrible team in the NFL until the end of the Wyche years and Dungy coming on board.

When Williams was behind center you always felt there was a chance  the Bucs could come back and win games . Absolute proof of this was the Super Bowl won by the Redskins with Williams behind center.  I suggest those so ready to throw stones watch that game again and  say Williams doesn't deserve to be in the ring of Honor.  If not for the Stupidity of Krueger SP? and Culverhouse history could have been a lot different.  Saw the Bo Jackson piece ....again WTF were the Bucs thinking with the crap they pulled?   

Have to agree with Morgan for probably the first time.  Williams was not only the face of the franchise but  the first notable Black QB in the NFL.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#46 : May 09, 2013, 10:04:54 PM

If these boards had existed when Williams was QB of this team they would have crashed every Sunday evening from people complaining about his miserable ass.

No doubt, I still remember watching a preseason game on TV and listening to the home crowd chanting for Chuck Fusina .... in a preseason game.   And my favorite Doug Williams moment when he spiked the ball to stop the clock on 4th down.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#47 : May 09, 2013, 10:07:28 PM

Lee Roy Selmon was the face of the franchise and getting rid of Williams wasn't the reason we sucked out loud.  It was just one of the many miserable decisions made by miserable owners.

Now I'll give you the impact he made as a black quarterback in that day and age of the game, but as far as a player and contributor to the team he was average at best.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#48 : May 09, 2013, 11:17:01 PM

The hell with Williams. He is just an overgrown cry baby. He had some good years here but nothing stellar like Selmon, Sapp or Brooks. In all honesty, I lost all respect for the man when he came back to Tampa and played against the Bandits of the USFL. His first time back in the stadium and he throws an interception. The Bandit DB running it back is chased out of bounds yet ole Dougie still clips the guy, about 5 yards out of bounds and 10 yards past where he went out of bounds. It was the biggest cheap shot I have ever seen in professional football. I'm tired of Williams woes is me routine. Gruden gave him a 2nd chance in Tampa and he blew that too. Williams has no place in the ROH and probably should just be forgotten all together.

kbl117

Starter

#49 : May 09, 2013, 11:24:49 PM

I never watched one play of Jimmy Giles, but a guy with those numbers doesnt belong in any ring of honor. If om not mistaken, he never accomplished 50 catches, 800 yards, or more than 8 TDs in one season. Thats simply not ROH worthy

Guys like Sapp, Brooks, Ronde, Alstott, Gruber, Selmon, Dungy, Gruden, McKay, and Doug Williams are the ONLY Bucs that Id have in there. with no names going in after that for the forseeable future

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#50 : May 09, 2013, 11:49:30 PM

And there is no doubt in my mind Doug Williams should be in the ROH. His impact on this team, and its early evolution, go so far beyond stats. You just had to be there.

Agree... It is rather obvious his detractors weren't around when he was here.   As to the argument that he went to Washington the same could be said for Sapp who went to Oakland.

Point is as soon as Williams left, the Bucs became arguably the most consistently terrible team in the NFL until the end of the Wyche years and Dungy coming on board.

When Williams was behind center you always felt there was a chance  the Bucs could come back and win games . Absolute proof of this was the Super Bowl won by the Redskins with Williams behind center.  I suggest those so ready to throw stones watch that game again and  say Williams doesn't deserve to be in the ring of Honor.  If not for the Stupidity of Krueger SP? and Culverhouse history could have been a lot different.  Saw the Bo Jackson piece ....again WTF were the Bucs thinking with the crap they pulled?   

Have to agree with Morgan for probably the first time.  Williams was not only the face of the franchise but  the first notable Black QB in the NFL.

So Williams belongs in the ROH because of a game he played for the Redskins?

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

kbl117

Starter

#51 : May 09, 2013, 11:55:18 PM

Im thinking its moreso for the things he did as a cultural icon and with his intangables from the sounds of it, then again Im not old enough to have seen Doug play

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#52 : May 10, 2013, 12:28:31 AM

So Williams belongs in the ROH because of a game he played for the Redskins?
Perfect

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
#53 : May 10, 2013, 02:41:18 AM

Im too young to have been able to see him play, but having said that, I feel theres more deserving (albeit more current players, from my time) that should go in before him. Sapp (check), Brooks, Lynch, Barber, and Alstott all come to mind. Id even throw in JG, our all time winningest coach, but again, I wasnt around in the Doug Williams days, so my opinion is clearly skewed as theres more than likely a bunch of variables Im not taking into consideration (or may even not know about) that others have had the privy to have been able to witness firsthand.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#54 : May 11, 2013, 07:56:53 AM

I never watched one play of Jimmy Giles, but a guy with those numbers doesnt belong in any ring of honor. If om not mistaken, he never accomplished 50 catches, 800 yards, or more than 8 TDs in one season. Thats simply not ROH worthy

Guys like Sapp, Brooks, Ronde, Alstott, Gruber, Selmon, Dungy, Gruden, McKay, and Doug Williams are the ONLY Bucs that Id have in there. with no names going in after that for the forseeable future

Those numbers were good for the era. Other than KW1, there weren't many other TEs who were used well in the passing game.

He was at least a top 10 TE many of the years he was here.

Doug Williams on the other hand had poor stats even for his era.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#55 : May 11, 2013, 08:29:16 AM

What is the Ring of Honor?  Is it it for sustained excellence?  Or fan favorites?  Doug only gets in if its the latter.  To tell you the truth i think we are already starting to lean more towards fan favorites. 

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#56 : May 11, 2013, 09:25:32 AM

Doug Williams is a dooosh bag in person. Not my generation and I'm skeptical of the impact he really had on changing a culture here. The 80's were miserable.

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

Runole

Hall of Famer
#57 : May 11, 2013, 02:43:49 PM

Rather obvious that the young and disrespectful are completely ignorant of the Doug Williams years.    I guess because I knew him personally I have a different viewpoint.  Of course the fact that my wife was a part of the BUCS PR department for the first 10 years gives me a much more credible perspective.

Oh and the 80's were miserable after Williams left...  Anyone that watched the Bucs go from 0-26 to the NFC championship understands. If you weren't there you just will never understand. 

Speaking of Brooks does anyone feel the Bucs gave him a proper respectful send off?     Glad to see the Bucs finally got it right with Ronde.
: May 11, 2013, 02:46:43 PM Runole

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#58 : May 11, 2013, 03:15:15 PM

"gives me a much more credible perspective"^^

Weak. Gonna play that card. I met Doug about 3 years ago(not 20 years ago) and smug comes to mind. Not to mention he was completely incompetent as the scouting director but we'll not go there

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#59 : May 11, 2013, 03:16:58 PM

Shelton Quarles = key piece to super bowl and cover 2. Awesome scout.

Better Buc than Doug the redskin

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One name remains missing from the Ring « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools