Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One name remains missing from the Ring « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15

Runole

Hall of Famer
#60 : May 11, 2013, 06:26:53 PM

"gives me a much more credible perspective"^^

Weak. Gonna play that card. I met Doug about 3 years ago(not 20 years ago) and smug comes to mind. Not to mention he was completely incompetent as the scouting director but we'll not go there

That is probably because you are just a fan and didn't actually know him personally.  Probably stuck a pen in his face and demanded an autograph!  NOW THAT IS WEAK!

Oh and out of curiosity how old were you when Doug was leading the Bucs?   Lets call it a test of your honesty and character since you wish to demean Doug's?
: May 11, 2013, 06:30:15 PM Runole

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#61 : May 11, 2013, 06:55:19 PM

Rather obvious that the young and disrespectful are completely ignorant of the Doug Williams years.    I guess because I knew him personally I have a different viewpoint.  Of course the fact that my wife was a part of the BUCS PR department for the first 10 years gives me a much more credible perspective.

Oh and the 80's were miserable after Williams left...  Anyone that watched the Bucs go from 0-26 to the NFC championship understands. If you weren't there you just will never understand. 

Speaking of Brooks does anyone feel the Bucs gave him a proper respectful send off?     Glad to see the Bucs finally got it right with Ronde.

I guess we should put Chris Simms in the ROH because we haven't made the playoffs since we cut him.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#62 : May 11, 2013, 06:58:47 PM

Weak. Gonna play that card. I met Doug about 3 years ago(not 20 years ago) and smug comes to mind. Not to mention he was completely incompetent as the scouting director but we'll not go there

That is probably because you are just a fan and didn't actually know him personally.  Probably stuck a pen in his face and demanded an autograph!  NOW THAT IS WEAK!

Oh and out of curiosity how old were you when Doug was leading the Bucs?   Lets call it a test of your honesty and character since you wish to demean Doug's?

Big whoop. You knew a player personally. it means jack squat in this conversation.

He wasn't a good QB for his era, and it's as simple as that.

You honor players for being at the top of their position and contributing a lot to the team for many years.

Doug Williams was a mediocre player led by a good defense. He was nothing more than a Trent Dilfer or Shaun King.

It would diminish the celebration for our actual good players that we let in if we just end up letting in a bunch of guys like Doug Williams.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#63 : May 11, 2013, 08:57:42 PM

If your just basing the ROH guys on performance stats,  your duplicating what the HOF is.  There would be no need for it.

But if the ROH, is about what a guy contributed to the Bucs.  Then that is a different story.  And I think Doug belongs there.   Although,  if he was voted in, not sure he would even show up.  I don't think he and the Bucs are BFF's at this point in time.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#64 : May 11, 2013, 09:16:59 PM

Shelton Quarles = key piece to super bowl and cover 2. Awesome scout.

Better Buc than Doug the redskin

Ditto a thousand times over.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#65 : May 12, 2013, 07:17:30 AM

"probably because you are just a fan"

Good call bud. But I would never call someone a dooosh for not giving me an autograph(I attempt to get a couple at training camp but I'm usually passive and let all the kids get in front of me). I met Doug at a charity even hosted by a friend of mine and had a small group discussion between he my friend and another former Bucs player. How in the world that man got a front office job is beyond me.

I wasn't alive for Dougs playin days but I was alive for what he did most recently for the bucs and how much of a collasal failure it was.
: May 12, 2013, 07:20:07 AM tripblood

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#66 : May 12, 2013, 07:27:38 AM

Big whoop. You knew a player personally. it means jack squat in this conversation.

He wasn't a good QB for his era, and it's as simple as that.

You honor players for being at the top of their position and contributing a lot to the team for many years.

Doug Williams was a mediocre player led by a good defense. He was nothing more than a Trent Dilfer or Shaun King.

It would diminish the celebration for our actual good players that we let in if we just end up letting in a bunch of guys like Doug Williams.

Agree completely.

He wasn't even a top 10 Qb his BEST season in Tampa. Some people forget this is a team sport and there are probably 10 other players from 79 more worthy for the ring. They just don't get the noteworthy because they don't act like a victim of mean ole racist Tampa

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#67 : May 12, 2013, 07:46:19 AM

stats mean nothing: McKay's record was 44-88-1

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#68 : May 12, 2013, 09:44:14 AM

We have had a lot of good players, I just don't want to see the Great players diluted down with others who could have but didn't have the Great accomplishments that the Ring Players have established. I would hate to see Kenyatta Walker there just because he was in the SuperBowl. Doug Williams got his designation with the Red Skins. I also want to note that it does stink that he was with us during the Hugh Culverhouse era which did hurt him and even his own personal actions (if what DUImeg stated years ago really happened)...OBD

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#69 : May 12, 2013, 09:49:29 AM

I want James Wilder in that Ring .....guy was a goddamn workhorse and ran his balls off for a crappy team and never the credit he deserved.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#70 : May 12, 2013, 09:52:30 AM

Quarles is a awesome scout ?  Who did he discover?  Haven't noticed any awesomeness. 

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#71 : May 12, 2013, 10:03:54 AM

I want James Wilder in that Ring .....guy was a goddamn workhorse and ran his balls off for a crappy team and never the credit he deserved.
I did like watching him run. One of the best sparks of the TampaBay Buccaneers at the time along with Jimmy Giles and Ricky Bell, Dewey and LeRoy Selemon. I am going to watch my SB CD now...Its been awhile now need to see the phily game too...OBD

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#72 : May 12, 2013, 10:05:28 AM

Doug did contribute some to some awful teams, but lets not rewrite history.
He was not that good of a QB.
Th Bucs tried to make amends for Culverhouse's perceived racism but Doug didn't let it go. He's forever shunned for trashing this team for decades.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#73 : May 12, 2013, 12:06:39 PM

Hell's freezing over?  I agree with you 100%.  Without a doubt one of the best Bucs ever.  If you don't agree with this you probably weren't there. 

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#74 : May 12, 2013, 12:45:03 PM

stats mean nothing: McKay's record was 44-88-1

he shouldn't be in there either.  dungy, gruden and even kiffen are actually more deserving.  but much like Doug people have a soft spot for McKay because he was here in the beginning.  Again, what is the ROH?  i think its becoming more about remembering fan favorites than honoring the elite(which is what is should be).   
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One name remains missing from the Ring « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools