Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Negotiations with Mike Williams not going well? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#45 : May 08, 2013, 02:53:11 PM

Do NO snd Atlsnta utilize their TEs?  Yes they do.  We don't.  The slot receiver in this offense is more important than in most. 

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

#46 : May 08, 2013, 02:53:43 PM

Love it. Mikey's gonna play with a bag of Lay's on his shoulder this season.
hopefully they are not those gross Chicken and Waffle ones.

those are delicious actually. taste like mcgriddles from mcdonalds
: May 08, 2013, 02:55:56 PM DEBUCSOWN

Go Bucs

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#47 : May 08, 2013, 02:59:31 PM

I think it's one of those things you either love or hate.  Opened a bag with 3 or 4 other people and none if us liked them.  Cheesy Garlic Bread won anyways so it's a moot point.  The Sirachas you couldn't even give away up here. 

El Diablo

Starter

#48 : May 08, 2013, 03:06:13 PM

I think it's one of those things you either love or hate.  Opened a bag with 3 or 4 other people and none if us liked them.  Cheesy Garlic Bread won anyways so it's a moot point.  The Sirachas you couldn't even give away up here.

Sure does get boring during the offseason. This chip talk is the most interesting read of the day. The rest seams to be non stories and same ole fan speculation.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#49 : May 08, 2013, 03:10:41 PM

I'm not going to quote you to save space TBayXXXVII, but you have a little bit of fantasy football mixed with doom and gloom there. We still have one of the best starting 2 in the league. No reason to push the panic button.

And we could have drafted Keenan Allen in the 3rd. There is a reason he fell that far. He's not near the talent that Williams or Jackson are.

Williams was drafted in the 4th.  Why can't Allen, who went in the 3rd not be as good?  Also, having a backup plan or safety net is never a bad thing.  Completely relying on your starters is never a good thing.  At QB, I can understand that to an extent, but not any of the other positions.  That's just careless.

Williams fell for off the field issues. Allen fell because he just isn't that physically talented.

How many teams have 2 WRs as good as we do? You can't really call it careless that we don't have a 3rd. They don't grow on trees. We do at least have some guys with potential.

Again, your opinion that I disagree with (on Allen).  The league has been very offensively oriented the last few years, so teams are trying to stock up on defense.  They're also trying to bulk up their offensive line as well.  If Allen wasn't that physically talented, he wouldn't have been drafted at all.

No, WR's don't grow on trees and yes, the Bucs do have one of the best 2 WR's in the league... but that doesn't mean you can completely ignore the position for 3 years.  In order to find one, you at least have to draft one first.  The odds of finding quality WR's on the free agent market is pretty small.

I also disagree with your opinion on the potential of the remaining depth chart.  The combined potential of all WR's on this roster (not named Jackson or Williams), is approximately 0%.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#50 : May 08, 2013, 04:09:59 PM

Don't know if it is even feasible because I'm not a contract expert but could the Bucs cut VJ after this year to pay MW like a 1?  Would you be willing to cut bait on Jackson in order to keep the younger guy?

Not possible anymore because Dominik restructured his deal. If he's cut/traded next year he still counts $7.3M against the cap.

If  Dominik never restructured the contract he could have been released/traded with no cap hit.

Even if he's cut in 2015 he still counts $4.9M against the cap.

My idea sounded so good until I read that. Well, at least Revis' contract won't count against the cap next year if he dosen't pan out this year. 

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#51 : May 08, 2013, 04:46:28 PM

Pulled some quick stats on other #3 WRs in our division:

Devery Henderson (NO) 316 YDS 14.4 YPC 1 TD

Harry Douglas (ATL) 396 YDS 10.4 YPC  1 TD

Louis Murphy (CAR) 336 YDS 13.4 YPC 1 TD

Tiquan Underwood (TB) 425 15.2 YPC 2 TD

Tell me again how horrible we are at WR because I'm having trouble grasping it. We have a top notch #1 WR, a top notch #2 WR, a slightly above average #3 WR and we brought in two vets with some history of success to duke it out in training camp for a roster spot, what am I missing?

Atlanta and New Orleans have 2 of the best TE's in the game, who many times line up outside and acts as the 3rd WR. Even Carolina has a TE capable of doing that.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#52 : May 10, 2013, 06:49:31 PM

Per Roy Cummings twitter...

The Bucs and the agent for WR Mike Williams will begin a new round of contract talks in Tampa on Monday..

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#53 : May 10, 2013, 08:19:12 PM

I prefer Combos to chips.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#54 : May 11, 2013, 09:54:24 AM

i dont know.  a team will always have holes.  had we drafted a 3rd round WR someone would have complained about not having QB depth.  would it be great to have a potential #1 waiting in the wings at WR?  sure.  but i dont know how realistic it is to have a as much talent AND depth as some would like.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#55 : May 11, 2013, 02:08:48 PM

i dont know.  a team will always have holes.  had we drafted a 3rd round WR someone would have complained about not having QB depth.  would it be great to have a potential #1 waiting in the wings at WR?  sure.  but i dont know how realistic it is to have a as much talent AND depth as some would like.

I don't think many folks are big on the idea of drafting a back up QB in the first three rounds. Most folks just expect a decent veteran back up like Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, David Garrard,  Matt Moore, Rex Grossman, Matt Cassel, ect.....

youngone

Hall of Famer

#56 : May 11, 2013, 02:31:25 PM

I don't think many folks are big on the idea of drafting a back up QB in the first three rounds. Most folks just expect a decent veteran back up like Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, David Garrard,  Matt Moore, Rex Grossman, Matt Cassel, ect.....
Yea but I'll take the chance at developing Glennon over any one of those turds.. Freeman is in a contract year, by drafting Glennon they giving themselves a fall back plan. Not a bad idea I think.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#57 : May 11, 2013, 07:08:35 PM

I kinda agree with the first part but had we drafted a WR I think it would have been cool.  If we have to goto Glennon or Orvolosky the season is toast.   

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#58 : May 11, 2013, 08:31:28 PM

i agree, i sure wasnt thrilled when it happened.  but it does make sense if they really like the guy.  and i think most of our fans would be very upset with a grossman as our backup.  not many are sold on freeman, and rightfully so.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#59 : May 11, 2013, 10:20:58 PM

And I am one who isn't sold on Freeman, but spending a 3rd on a back up QB prospect in a draft with the worst crop of QBs in awhile, instead of improving the starting line up with a TE or slot WR seems questionable to me. If Freeman fails this year and we move on, would we really move forward with Glennon as our starter? Or would be draft a QB in the 1st round next year when there are quite a few very good QB prospects? Seems to me it would make more sense to have waited until next year for a QB if Freeman fails, and instead used that 3rd round pick on an additional weapon for Freeman or the new QB we draft in 2014. I guess time will tell.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Negotiations with Mike Williams not going well? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools