Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Former general manager weighs in on Bucs draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 08, 2013, 12:00:08 AM »

Former general manager weighs in on Bucs draft. Says Banks doesn’t “pass the eye test.”

by Gil Arcia

FoxSports.com

May 7, 2013

Experts from across the country have weighed in on the Bucs draft selections but rarely do you see someone who held a front office position break down draft picks team by team. That is exactly what former Denver Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist has done as he chimes in on the selections (and non-selections) the Bucs made.

The one that many agree the Bucs did good by selecting him in the second round was cornerback Jonathan Banks. Sundquist feels differently about him.

The guy doesn’t pass my eye test… He looks really slow.  That won’t bode well in a pass happy division.  That being said, with the addition of Darrelle Revis and Dashon Goldson, it’s not like Banks will have a major role the next couple years.

On the flip side, he likes quarterback Mike Glennon.

Glennon has most of the characteristics you want in a successful QB. (outlined here)  So why wouldn’t you want a guy like that on your team?

I don’t root for the Bucs, but I know how maddening Josh Freeman can be.  Glennon either impresses the staff enough to make Freeman expendable or Freeman thrives on competition and reaches his potential.  It’s a win-win for Tampa.

It’s tough to say how well rookies will do in the NFL until you get a couple years out of them. So while Sundquist’s analysis of the Bucs’ first two picks is respectable, they can’t be fairly judged until they have some experience under their belts.

In his article, he writes his concerns about the Bucs not drafting some offensive targets at wide receiver and tight end. However, he also praises Schiano’s plan and outlook for the team.

The full Sundquist analysis......

2013 NFL Draft – Analyzing The NFC South & Tampa Bay Bucs

May 6, 2013 By Ted Sundquist

NFC South Breakdown

If you are like me, then this past weekend was your favorite weekend of the spring…

Three days of non-stop discussion about 40 times and short shuttles…

7 rounds of analysts saying: “this is a guy…”, and “he’s got major up-side.”

It’s heaven on Earth.  But eventually it comes to an end and like the day after you’re senior prom… you must take stock in what went down.

That’s what we will do here.

But let’s have fun with it and play a little… red light, green light.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers –

Headline:
      Josh a Free-Man?

Info:  Say what you want about his tactics, but at least Greg Schiano has a plan.  In drafting Doug Martin last year and trading for Darelle Revis this offseason, shows Schiano values defense and running the football.  This past weekend, Schiano started to unveil phase two of his plan and it appears Josh Freeman is in it.

Green Light: Mike Glennon – I am in the minority when it comes to drafting quarterbacks.  I think if a good one is on the board, you should almost ALWAYS take him.  Even if you have a proven starter like Josh Freeman.

Glennon has most of the characteristics you want in a successful QB. (outlined here)  So why wouldn’t you want a guy like that on your team?

I don’t root for the Bucs, but I know how maddening Josh Freeman can be.  Glennon either impresses the staff enough to make Freeman expendable or Freeman thrives on competition and reaches his potential.  It’s a win-win for Tampa.

Red Light: Jonathan Banks – The guy doesn’t pass my eye test… He looks really slow.  That won’t bode well in a pass happy division.  That being said, with the addition of Darrell Revis and Dashon Goldson, it’s not like Banks will have a major role the next couple years.

Caution: Akeem Spence and William Gholston – I really like both of the Bucs 4th round picks.  My only concern is can they make the jump?  At 6-7, Gholston is a freakish athlete but I don’t know if that will translate to the pro game.  It didn’t with his brother, Vernon.  Spence is strong as an ox, but lacks the technique required to be an effective role player.  Like I said, these guys have the ability… But as Stephen King once said, “Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.”

Cause for concern: Not who they drafted, but who they didn’t… WR’s. The Bucs didn’t do anything to augment the talent level at the wide receiver position.  Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams are good-solid, but I am not sold on any of the other guys… Luke Stocker included.  In this league, you need three viable pass catching options.  In round two, Robert Woods was drafted two picks earlier, but there were plenty of good pass catchers still left on the board.

Overall:  Schiano has a plan.  But, will it work?  It might, but in a division that boasts two of the best teams in the NFC, will Schiano have enough time?

So there you go.  ........  Will the South rise again, or will the West still be were the NFC is won?  Curious as to your thoughts…

Follow me on Twitter @Ted_Sundquist,

traew01

Pro Bowler

« #1 : May 08, 2013, 12:09:23 AM »

"At 6-7, Gholston is a freakish athlete but I don’t know if that will translate to the pro game.  It didn’t with his brother, Vernon. "

Vernon is William's cousin. Not brother.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 08, 2013, 02:44:20 AM »

Poor analysis IMO.   No wonder the guy is a "former" GM.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #3 : May 08, 2013, 08:23:12 AM »

Other than some minor factual mistakes like the one traew01 points out( knew someone would jump all over that to discredit this guy's opinion) how is his analysis poor?  Banks is slow.  A lot of teams passed on him so this guy isn't the only one.  Whether you like the pick or not Glennon us probably more talented than most mid round QBs drafted.  Spence and Gholston both have some positives but need work .  How is Sundquist wrong here?  We could also a third pass catching option so he is not wrong there either.  It's not the best review I've ever read but most of the things he said I agree with. 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 08, 2013, 08:38:38 AM »

Other than some minor factual mistakes like the one traew01 points out( knew someone would jump all over that to discredit this guy's opinion) how is his analysis poor?  Banks is slow.  A lot of teams passed on him so this guy isn't the only one.  Whether you like the pick or not Glennon us probably more talented than most mid round QBs drafted.  Spence and Gholston both have some positives but need work .  How is Sundquist wrong here?  We could also a third pass catching option so he is not wrong there either.  It's not the best review I've ever read but most of the things he said I agree with.
There's nothing out of line in this.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #5 : May 08, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »

"Former general manager" is all I needed to read.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 08, 2013, 08:44:50 AM »

He was GM of record for the drafting of Clinton Portis, DJ Williams, Darrent Williams, Domonique Foxworth, Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Chris Kuper, Ryan Clady, and Peyton Hillis. Meanwhile, Mark Dominik is 24-40 as GM.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #7 : May 08, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »

Damn.  We need to hire that guy then.  Maybe Dom could be "president if football operations" or something. 

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

« #8 : May 08, 2013, 08:54:38 AM »

If his drafting record is so good...why is he a "former" GM.  Im not arguing his analysis, I think its a fair one.

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

Naismith

Hall of Famer

« #9 : May 08, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »

Sounds like he liked the draft, which is nice. His criticism of Banks was the speed, but everyone knew that and that's why he was still available in round two.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #10 : May 08, 2013, 09:25:08 AM »

He was GM of record for the drafting of Clinton Portis, DJ Williams, Darrent Williams, Domonique Foxworth, Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Chris Kuper, Ryan Clady, and Peyton Hillis. Meanwhile, Mark Dominik is 24-40 as GM.

What was Sundquist's record?   Why was he fired and not re-hired anywhere?   Seems like a glaring red light.  ;)

FWIW - I thought it was a pretty safe assessment.  Nothing earth shattering, no enlightenment whatsoever.

and why does this have to do anything with Dominik?   Dude wasn't even mentioned in the article.  Consistently used 'Schiano's Plan" throughout the article  (waiting for Grimm now... )

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #11 : May 08, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »

What was Sundquist's record?   Why was he fired and not re-hired anywhere?   Seems like a glaring red light.  ;)

FWIW - I thought it was a pretty safe assessment.  Nothing earth shattering, no enlightenment whatsoever.

and why does this have to do anything with Dominik?   Dude wasn't even mentioned in the article.  Consistently used 'Schiano's Plan" throughout the article  (waiting for Grimm now... )

Was named GM before the 2002 season.  That year the Broncos 9-7... and followed that up with seasons of 10-6, 10-6, 13-3, 9-7, 7-9.  Why was he fired?  Don't know, but the fact that they brought in the guy who traded multiple picks for Tim Tebow tells me that it was a complete fail.

Dominik doesn't have anything to do with it, FRG was just pointing out that some people are praising a guy who's managed to draft and acquire talent that has gone 24-40 over the last  4 seasons yet, they may be discrediting a guy who over 6 seasons, was 58-38.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #12 : May 08, 2013, 10:30:45 AM »

Dominik doesn't have anything to do with it, FRG was just pointing out that some people are praising a guy who's managed to draft and acquire talent that has gone 24-40 over the last  4 seasons yet, they may be discrediting a guy who over 6 seasons, was 58-38.
Additionally, the insinuation is that since Sundquist is unemployed he must not know as much as Dominik, who is currently employed.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #13 : May 08, 2013, 10:32:31 AM »

Ah - I was just going on the premise this was about the draftee's and a JAG assessment of them ... (cause, case and point - that's what he is currently  - one of us sitting on the sidelines.)

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #14 : May 08, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »

Additionally, the insinuation is that since Sundquist is unemployed he must not know as much as Dominik, who is currently employed.

Yeah, after reading up a bit on Sundquist, I'm surprised he doesn't have a job in the NFL.  His track record is quite impressive.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Former general manager weighs in on Bucs draft « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools