Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Former general manager weighs in on Bucs draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#15 : May 08, 2013, 10:33:33 AM

Didnt the owner if the Donkeys clean house when they fired Shanahan?  Now they are doing ok now but they had a few rough years in the aftermath.  Never heard of this guy before since I don't follow Denver at all but his track record looks above average to me. 

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 08, 2013, 10:34:14 AM

Even more surprising that Michael Freakin' Lombardi got a job before he did...

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#17 : May 08, 2013, 10:46:29 AM

The guy probably knows draft more than anybody here, but maybe not specific teams anymore. I would argue we didn't really need a WR more than a CB in round 2 and that we signed some guys to compete for the 3rd WR position.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 08, 2013, 10:49:57 AM

The guy probably knows draft more than anybody here, but maybe not specific teams anymore. I would argue we didn't really need a WR more than a CB in round 2 and that we signed some guys to compete for the 3rd WR position.

Another WR was absolutely a need.  Not in the 2nd round per se, but definitely a need.  To totally alienate the position is simply unacceptable.  Even Mike Williams knows this.  By not drafting a WR, Williams has all the leverage in asking for a kings ransom.  Whether he gets it in Tampa or not, he'll get paid from somewhere.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#19 : May 08, 2013, 10:54:18 AM

Another WR was absolutely a need.  Not in the 2nd round per se, but definitely a need.  To totally alienate the position is simply unacceptable.  Even Mike Williams knows this.  By not drafting a WR, Williams has all the leverage in asking for a kings ransom.  Whether he gets it in Tampa or not, he'll get paid from somewhere.

He's a #2 WR, so I really don't think he has much leverage for a big contract because we didn't draft a mid round WR.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 08, 2013, 11:01:42 AM

He's a #2 WR, so I really don't think he has much leverage for a big contract because we didn't draft a mid round WR.

Yeah, he is a #2... at least with a limited QB throwing to him.  That said, I will disagree on how much leverage Williams has.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#21 : May 08, 2013, 11:09:51 AM

Yeah, he is a #2... at least with a limited QB throwing to him.  That said, I will disagree on how much leverage Williams has.

Getting a WR would be nice, but it wasn't as important as another CB that is probably a starter, don't think as important as QB either if we're talking about drafting guys for next year and leverage in their contracts.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#22 : May 08, 2013, 11:11:36 AM

The Bucs did address WR, bringing in Steve Smith, Kevin Ogletree, Eric Page and a variety of undrafted free agents.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 08, 2013, 11:20:49 AM

Getting a WR would be nice, but it wasn't as important as another CB that is probably a starter, don't think as important as QB either if we're talking about drafting guys for next year and leverage in their contracts.

I've always been of the mindset that if there is a QB that you think can be a franchise QB, you take him with your first available pick.  Period.  If your opinion is that high of a QB, in this league, you have to take him.  Using a 3rd round pick on a QB is stupid.  They should have taken one in the 2nd or waited until the 5th or 6th.

Both the CB and WR positions were fairly deep this year.  I'm fine with Banks, but I think there were other CB's that were better options, though that doesn't mean I'm right... which is why I said I'm fine with Banks.  As far as WR is concerned, I think Terrence Williams, Keenan Allen, Stedman Bailey, Ace Sanders, and Chris Harper were all on the board when the Bucs picked who all have a shot to be a starter for their team either this year or next year.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 08, 2013, 11:21:38 AM

The Bucs did address WR, bringing in Steve Smith, Kevin Ogletree, Eric Page and a variety of undrafted free agents.

And in all likelihood, none will be on the team next year.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#25 : May 08, 2013, 11:35:03 AM

I've always been of the mindset that if there is a QB that you think can be a franchise QB, you take him with your first available pick.  Period.  If your opinion is that high of a QB, in this league, you have to take him.  Using a 3rd round pick on a QB is stupid.  They should have taken one in the 2nd or waited until the 5th or 6th.

Both the CB and WR positions were fairly deep this year.  I'm fine with Banks, but I think there were other CB's that were better options, though that doesn't mean I'm right... which is why I said I'm fine with Banks.  As far as WR is concerned, I think Terrence Williams, Keenan Allen, Stedman Bailey, Ace Sanders, and Chris Harper were all on the board when the Bucs picked who all have a shot to be a starter for their team either this year or next year.

Doesn't make much sense to me really because the contract demands of a good QB are more than double that of a #2 WR, if you wanted a WR to keep Williams from getting 8M a year it makes more sense to get a QB to keep Freeman from making twice as much easily.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#26 : May 08, 2013, 11:37:12 AM

I don't think it's likely that none of them will be on the team, but even if so, so be it. You only have so many draft picks to address so many positions.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#27 : May 08, 2013, 11:48:13 AM

I don't think it's likely that none of them will be on the team, but even if so, so be it. You only have so many draft picks to address so many positions.

Oh, I know.  I just don't have much faith in Dominik.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#28 : May 08, 2013, 11:54:54 AM

With the signing of Olgletree in FA, I would have put CB, QB, DT, DE, RB, LB, RT ahead of WR as far as draft priority.

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 08, 2013, 12:06:49 PM

With the signing of Olgletree in FA, I would have put CB, QB, DT, DE, RB, LB, RT ahead of WR as far as draft priority.

That's fine, we just have differing opinions.  To me, Freeman is a limited QB.  He needs quality receivers who can go out and catch a ball.  He's the flip side of a franchise QB... he needs talented weapons to make him better, not the other way around.  There's enough talent on this team to make up for Freeman's short comings.  That said, it's quite possible that the team could win and give Freeman an extension.  An extension without quality receivers would be very, very bad.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Former general manager weighs in on Bucs draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools