Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Former general manager weighs in on Bucs draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#30 : May 08, 2013, 12:16:27 PM

With the signing of Olgletree in FA, I would have put CB, QB, DT, DE, RB, LB, RT ahead of WR as far as draft priority.

That's fine, we just have differing opinions.  To me, Freeman is a limited QB.  He needs quality receivers who can go out and catch a ball.  He's the flip side of a franchise QB... he needs talented weapons to make him better, not the other way around.  There's enough talent on this team to make up for Freeman's short comings.  That said, it's quite possible that the team could win and give Freeman an extension.  An extension without quality receivers would be very, very bad.

Actually, we agree on Freeman and his limitations.   I believe without Vjax, he's average to below average.  Another WR wouldn't hurt, but I think the running game and defense will help him more right now.

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#31 : May 08, 2013, 12:21:22 PM

The Bucs did address WR, bringing in Steve Smith, Kevin Ogletree, Eric Page and a variety of undrafted free agents.

Steve Smith hasn't been physically right in years, I'd be surprised to see him make the 53.
Ogletree is garbage. He was pushed way down Dallas' depth chart by the end of the season. Cowboys fans I know were totally fine with him leaving.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#32 : May 08, 2013, 12:23:33 PM

With the signing of Olgletree in FA, I would have put CB, QB, DT, DE, RB, LB, RT ahead of WR as far as draft priority.

That's fine, we just have differing opinions.  To me, Freeman is a limited QB.  He needs quality receivers who can go out and catch a ball.  He's the flip side of a franchise QB... he needs talented weapons to make him better, not the other way around.  There's enough talent on this team to make up for Freeman's short comings.  That said, it's quite possible that the team could win and give Freeman an extension.  An extension without quality receivers would be very, very bad.

Actually, we agree on Freeman and his limitations.   I believe without Vjax, he's average to below average.  Another WR wouldn't hurt, but I think the running game and defense will help him more right now.

Exactly, put Freeman in situations where he doesn't have to win the game in the last quarter everytime and he might not fall apart as often. Another WR would have been nice, but I don't think a 3rd WR was a true NEED.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#33 : May 08, 2013, 12:31:30 PM

Keep in mind that the slot receiver in the Giants offense is a big part if what they do.  Hence the downgrade of importance for the TE. 

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#34 : May 08, 2013, 12:52:53 PM

The Bucs did address WR, bringing in Steve Smith, Kevin Ogletree, Eric Page and a variety of undrafted free agents.

Steve Smith hasn't been physically right in years, I'd be surprised to see him make the 53.
Ogletree is garbage. He was pushed way down Dallas' depth chart by the end of the season. Cowboys fans I know were totally fine with him leaving.

Yeah, I'm not arguing the quality of any of the guys. I've watched Steve Smith play. I've watched Ogletree play. I literally have zero knowledge of any of the other players. I'm just countering the notion that the Bucs didn't address the WR spot. They clearly did. Whether you (the general "you") think they addressed it well or not is an entirely different discussion.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#35 : May 08, 2013, 12:58:55 PM

Yeah, I'm not arguing the quality of any of the guys. I've watched Steve Smith play. I've watched Ogletree play. I literally have zero knowledge of any of the other players. I'm just countering the notion that the Bucs didn't address the WR spot. They clearly did. Whether you (the general "you") think they addressed it well or not is an entirely different discussion.

To me, those guys don't "address" anything.  They're roster fillers that really aren't any good.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 08, 2013, 01:01:21 PM

So the guy likes Glennon, but doesn't like banks....

Man, I'm glad this jackwagon is gone.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 08, 2013, 01:04:03 PM

Why?  He might be right.  He certainly has a better track record than Dominik does.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#38 : May 08, 2013, 01:07:55 PM

we don't know how the careers of either are going to turn out.  He might be wrong but his opinion carries as much weight as anyone on this board. 

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 08, 2013, 01:09:12 PM

we don't know how the careers of either are going to turn out.  He might be wrong but his opinion carries as much more weight as than anyone on this board.

Fixed that for you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#40 : May 08, 2013, 02:06:57 PM

regarding banks, if he is slow AND thought of as the best defensive back in CFB last year...he must do some stuff pretty well.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 08, 2013, 02:23:37 PM

regarding banks, if he is slow AND thought of as the best defensive back in CFB last year...he must do some stuff pretty well.
I have no idea how Banks' career is going to turn out, but it's entirely possibly the people who think he's too slow will be right regardless of how well he played in college. The four all-America corners from 2008 were Malcolm Jenkins, Alphonso Smith, DJ Moore, and Victor Harris. Jenkins has been salvaged into a somewhat decent safety because he's too slow to play corner, Smith has been a bust, Moore a decent NCB, and Harris is in the CFL. Being a good college player has nothing to do with being a good pro.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 08, 2013, 02:29:09 PM

I have no idea how Banks' career is going to turn out, but it's entirely possibly the people who think he's too slow will be right regardless of how well he played in college. The four all-America corners from 2008 were Malcolm Jenkins, Alphonso Smith, DJ Moore, and Victor Harris. Jenkins has been salvaged into a somewhat decent safety because he's too slow to play corner, Smith has been a bust, Moore a decent NCB, and Harris is in the CFL. /Being a good college player has nothing to do with being a good pro.
i think you take the bolded a bit too far.  smith and moore are both 5'9" - might have something to do with their NFL success.

as for jenkins and banks...is banks thought to play fast?  or does he play slow?  again, it is very impressive to me that a CB who plays slow in the SEC would be thought of as the best in the country.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Madman

Hall of Famer
#43 : May 08, 2013, 02:29:27 PM

We'll find out if Banks is 'slow' on the field or just in shorts. I suspect the guy can ball.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#44 : May 08, 2013, 02:35:50 PM

That extension also means that there's less money to throw at players to make up for him being limited, so he better be worth that money on his own. The GM probably understands the cap going into these other seasons and it might be the case that they can't or they don't want to pay them both big dollars.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Former general manager weighs in on Bucs draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools