Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where would you rank the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in terms of their starting lineup? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 08, 2013, 12:13:09 AM

NFL Starting Lineups: Where do the Buccaneers rank?

By Sander Philipse

on May 7 2013, 1:23p

USA TODAY Sports
The Buccaneers have one of the most talented teams in the NFL.Some people disagree, though.

Where would you rank the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in terms of their starting lineup? They have All-Pro talent at several positions, Pro Bowl talent at even more positions and added several of high-level players this offseason. In fact, the Buccaneers have a very strong starting lineup throughout -- except at tight end, of course, with Luke Stocker having the starting job there.

But, let's see what Silva has to say.

14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Offensive Overview: Martin's rookie season was impressive by any measure, but keep in mind he lost road-grader Joseph to a torn left patellar tendon in the preseason and All-Pro Nicks to a year-ending toe injury in Week 7. They're both back healthy now, reenergizing what could be a top-two or three power run game. With a potentially dominant ground attack and receivers who win vertically in V-Jax and Williams, the Buccaneers would rank higher on this list if Freeman's ball placement wasn't so scattershot and his performance so maddeningly inconsistent. He has a tendency lose confidence and tank for long stretches. The Bucs' management and coaching staff have acknowledged their long-term concerns with Freeman by letting him enter a contract year without an extension and drafting big-armed NC State passer Mike Glennon with the No. 73 pick. If Tampa Bay is going to take a step forward offensively, it will have to be because of Freeman.

The Buccaneers have an extremely talented line-up here, with a few problems. First, tight end. Luke Stocker's nothing more than just a guy, if his past two years of game tape can be believed, and that could be a major limitation. A bigger issue, which doesn't show up in Silva's rankings, is depth across the board. Apparently the Bucs think their sixth-round pick will be a good backup running back, while the third receiver is Kevin Ogletree. For now. That will be an issue.

Oh, and one more weird thing. Silva thinks Brian Leonard will play fullback. He will not. He's a third-down back. Erik Lorig will be the team's fullback, unless he loses to some undrafted free agent. Why do people keep thinking Leonard is a fullback, anyway? He's reasonably big for a running back, but 230 lbs. isn't exactly fullback size. Not to mention the fact that he hasn't played fullback for years, and wasn't very good at it when he did with the St. Louis Rams.

Ah well, moving on to Silva's thoughts on the defense.

Defensive Overview: I went through every NFL roster and offseason addition and concluded the Bucs have the most improved defense in football. The Revis acquisition will mask a suspect front four because of the Island Factor, where Revis covers No. 1 receivers one-on-one while Wright, Johnthan Banks, or Leonard Johnson -- whoever wins the right corner job -- draws opposing No. 2s with constant safety help. This will result in increased sacks, give coordinator Bill Sheridan more blitz options, and decrease enemy quarterbacks' efficiency. The Buccaneers aren't quite elite yet -- question marks abound at defensive end, nose tackle, strong-side linebacker, and the other cornerback position -- but Revis alone can morph this defense from bad to quite good.

The most improved defense, indeed. That's what happens when you add the best cornerback in the NFL and an All-Pro at safety while getting two defensive ends back fully healthy. Sure, the Bucs lost Michael Bennett and Roy Miller, but they have quality players at every single position, All Pros at two, a Pro Bowler at another, and multiple players with Pro Bowl potential. The only real question marks come at strongside linebacker, a position that is easily filled and not overly important, and nickel cornerback where second-rounder Johnthan Banks is expected to step in.

If the Buccaneers get a fully healthy Revis and use him in the right ways, this defense could easily be elite. But depth is a concern, and a few injuries could lay it low. If Gerald McCoy gets injured, the Buccaneers have no capable backup. If Adrian Clayborn isn't 100% or Da'Quan Bowers doesn't develop the way they want, then the Bucs have issues.

Still, just the fourteenth starting lineup in the NFL? I take issue with that

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/5/7/4308644/nfl-starting-lineups-where-do-the-buccaneers-rank

Post-Draft NFL Lineup Rankings

By Evan Silva | Rotoworld Mon, May 6, 2013 9:03 AM EDT.. .

With free agency and the NFL draft behind us, starting lineups around the league are mostly set pending training camp position battles and a handful of third-wave veteran signings. Here is a glance at each team's projected first-string offense and defense, ranked in order of quality.

1. Seattle Seahawks
2. San Francisco 49ers
3. Denver Broncos
4. Green Bay Packers
5. New England Patriots
6. Baltimore Ravens
7. Washington Redskins
8. Chicago Bears
9. Atlanta Falcons
10. Indianapolis Colts
11. New York Giants
12. Houston Texans
13. New Orleans Saints
14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
15. Minnesota Vikings
16. Pittsburgh Steelers
17. Cincinnati Bengals
18. Miami Dolphins
19. Kansas City Chiefs
20. St. Louis Rams
21. Dallas Cowboys
22. Carolina Panthers
23. Detroit Lions
24. Cleveland Browns
25. Philadelphia Eagles
26. Arizona Cardinals
27. Tennessee Titans
28. New York Jets
29. San Diego Chargers
30. Buffalo Bills
31. Jacksonville Jaguars
32. Oakland Raiders

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/43199/59/post-draft-nfl-lineup-rankings
: May 08, 2013, 01:45:47 AM michael89156

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 08, 2013, 02:41:27 AM

14 seems about right IMO.  No doubt Freeman's inconsistency cost us a few spots.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 08, 2013, 07:23:26 AM

More than fair.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 08, 2013, 08:05:33 AM

I'd say the Bengals have a better overall roster.  Probably the Cowboys too.  No way they are 21.  Colts, redskins, and Bears seem high.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 08, 2013, 08:13:47 AM

The Redskins at #7? Really? Blow RG3 much?

If anything, they should be at #14 and we should be at #13.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 08, 2013, 08:14:34 AM

They are in a generous spot IMO. This team still has much to prove.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 08, 2013, 08:25:59 AM

A bit high, but they should be higher than the Bucs.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 08, 2013, 08:34:41 AM

On what grounds? The grounds that they have RG3? Do they have players even COMPARABLE to Revis, Nicks and VJax?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#8 : May 08, 2013, 08:36:02 AM

They beat us last year

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 08, 2013, 08:38:38 AM

They beat us last year
Which means...nothing? We're comparing roster quality, not face-to-face W/L records.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#10 : May 08, 2013, 08:39:19 AM

Denver at #3? I don't see it.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 08, 2013, 08:39:38 AM

Not sure where the Steelers should be either.  Do you all think the Bucs are a better team than them?  I think their biggest problem was firing Bruce Arians and not talent.  Sure they are getting old in places but they always have talented guys waiting in the wings. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#12 : May 08, 2013, 08:40:43 AM

Denver at #3? I don't see it.
they should be pretty high.  Top 5 seems reasonable. 

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 08, 2013, 08:48:35 AM

On what grounds? The grounds that they have RG3? Do they have players even COMPARABLE to Revis, Nicks and VJax?

Well, since you are wanting to discount that their roster outplayed ours last year...

They are getting players back from injury as well. They had a draft just as good as ours. They have a far superior pass rush/front 7. I would take their OL over ours. I know we all love Doug, but their RB group is probably better than ours. I'm also taking RG3 over Freeman, if healthy, of course.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 08, 2013, 08:49:24 AM

I would have us at #11 or #12.  I think we have a better starting lineup than Washington, Chicago, Indy, and New Orleans.  (all have better QB's with a maybe on Chicago)

But, I think Cincy, Minnesota, and possibly St. Louis have a better lineup than us. (MN and STL are loaded with talent outside of QB play)
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where would you rank the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in terms of their starting lineup? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools