Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where would you rank the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in terms of their starting lineup? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

youngone

Hall of Famer
#60 : May 10, 2013, 08:30:28 AM

Chace you don't think Foster is better than Rob Jackson?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#61 : May 10, 2013, 08:37:29 AM

Foster is an inside/middle LB. I compared Rob Jackson(an OLB) to Casillas, Watson, Goode, etc.

their #2 OLB Rob Jackson, is better than any of our other OLBs.
: May 10, 2013, 08:42:40 AM chace1986

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#62 : May 10, 2013, 08:42:09 AM

I feel like I know what I am getting with the Redskins front 7. A group who could be a little better in run D , but they do a good job of getting after the passer. With the Bucs, it's more of the opposite. I would much rather have a group who is better at getting QB pressure.
but they only had 32 sacks last season?  opponents QB's had an 87 against them, about league average.  and their pass defense was just as horrible as ours.  do they have pass rush?
Possibly their best player in the front 7 who at 26 years of age had 28.5 sacks between 2009-2011 was a gimp and only had 1 in 2012. If Orakpo was healthy, they probably would have had 40 sacks as a team.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#63 : May 10, 2013, 08:44:14 AM

Foster is an inside/middle LB. I compared Rob Jackson(an OLB) to Casillas, Watson, Goode, etc.

Jackson is listed at 6'4" 266 lbs. He'd be a DE for the Bucs.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#64 : May 10, 2013, 08:47:51 AM

Ohhhhh ok... Carry on

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#65 : May 10, 2013, 08:50:39 AM

Jackson is listed at 6'4" 266 lbs. He'd be a DE for the Bucs.

Possibly so...but as far as comparing the two systems, he only rushed the passer 33.78% of the time last year. So what he did for them last year more closely compares to our OLBs rather than our DEs.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#66 : May 10, 2013, 11:08:56 AM

The Redskins at #7? Really? Blow RG3 much?

If anything, they should be at #14 and we should be at #13.

A bit high, but they should be higher than the Bucs.
On what grounds? The grounds that they have RG3? Do they have players even COMPARABLE to Revis, Nicks and VJax?
on the grounds that QB is the most important position on a roster.

Bob Griffin has a great rookie season? So did Caddy and Clayton. Give it a few years before you anoint him.
ok, so did Doug and David. That's drops us down too then.

Either way, they made the playoffs. We won 7 games. What are you arguing about.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#67 : May 10, 2013, 12:22:23 PM

Possibly their best player in the front 7 who at 26 years of age had 28.5 sacks between 2009-2011 was a gimp and only had 1 in 2012. If Orakpo was healthy, they probably would have had 40 sacks as a team.
you want to give the redskins orakpos "would be" sacks and include rob jacksons?  thast doesnt seem fair.  how about we meet arournd 37 sacks...league average.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#68 : May 10, 2013, 12:31:13 PM

you want to give the redskins orakpos "would be" sacks and include rob jacksons?  thast doesnt seem fair.  how about we meet arournd 37 sacks...league average.
Not really worth arguing but I figured if Orakpo had a down year they could have 37-38 sacks and if he had a really good year playing on a winning team and got to tee off on teams trying to play catch up in the 4th quarter they could have 42 sacks, so I split the difference.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#69 : May 10, 2013, 12:45:21 PM

i agree.  i just dont find pass rush as important as most.  its too subjective.  its not quantifiable.  i think 7 of the top 10 pass defenses last season had under 40 sacks, but i guess that doesnt matter either.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#70 : May 10, 2013, 01:36:58 PM

Despite the sack numbers, pressures, etc. I think it should be pretty clear to anyone that the Bucs have not put enough.pressure in the QB for the last 5 years. That hurts. As I pointed out earlier with the YAC yardage, there are going be yards that get counted that you can't necessarily blame the pass rush for. Like if LJ and Ahmad Black make a take on Alexander on a quick pass, then he doesn't scamper down the field for an 80 yard TD. Sure, stats are not going to ever tell the whole story, no matter how many are brought forth. Personally I try to use what I see in the games as the first pint of reference, then look at the.number, and there are certainly cases where the numbers actually provide a good perspective. Watching the Bucs and watching several other teams, I see the lack of pass rush as a problem because, to me, ot seems that the Bucs don't get to the QB as much as the "top ten defenses".

I put top ten defenses in quotes because I thonk just using yardage to determine that, is a pretty simple way of doing things. ESPN and NFL.com always pimp teams as having the "__ranked offense/defense" based off of total yards, and I find it absurd....but that's a different rant for a different day I suppose.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#71 : May 10, 2013, 01:58:52 PM

I put top ten defenses in quotes because I thonk just using yardage to determine that, is a pretty simple way of doing things. ESPN and NFL.com always pimp teams as having the "__ranked offense/defense" based off of total yards, and I find it absurd....but that's a different rant for a different day I suppose.
yeah, but if you arent giving up yards, you probably arent giving up many points.  we have a pretty stout run defense (scheme) and we took some pretty big steps to fix our pass defense.  with that, i assume that our pass rush will look much better. 

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#72 : May 10, 2013, 03:41:42 PM

yeahbut if you arent giving up yards, you probably arent giving up many points.  we have a pretty stout run defense (scheme) and we took some pretty big steps to fix our pass defense.  with that, i assume that our pass rush will look much better.

That isn't exactly true, GT. Sure, it may ring true for the teams that are in the top 5 in total yards. All of the top 5 in total yards finished in the top 6 in PPG. After that, it gets pretty tricky. If you look at the PPG stats, Atlanta is ranked 5th. Where might they have been in total yards allowed?? 24th. Actually, lets look at 5th-13th place in PPG allowed. 5 of those 9 teams don't break the top 15 of the total yards allowed ranking. Other than Atlanta, you have Miami who was #7 in PPG, but 21st in total yards allowed. NE, who was 9th in PPG and 25th in TYA, and the Giants, who finished 12th in PPG but was 31st in TYA.
You can also flip it and look at that in reverse. Of the top 15 teams in TYA,  outside of the top 5, 6 of those 10 teams were not in the top 15 in PPG....and none of those 6 teams made the playoffs(SD, NYJ, CAR, ARI, DET, PHI).

Total yards allowed is a poor way of ranking defense that are not in the top 5, because to be honest, those top 5 teams will probably be very high most every defensive category. The same cant be said for the middle of the pack teams. 5-25.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#73 : May 10, 2013, 05:11:40 PM

The Skins D was garbage last year, as was the Bucs. The Skins upgraded theirs by signing Biggers (LOL) and getting back some of their good injured Defenders.
The Bucs D should be WAY better than the Skins.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#74 : May 10, 2013, 06:15:37 PM

That isn't exactly true, GT. Sure, it may ring true for the teams that are in the top 5 in total yards. All of the top 5 in total yards finished in the top 6 in PPG. After that, it gets pretty tricky. If you look at the PPG stats, Atlanta is ranked 5th. Where might they have been in total yards allowed?? 24th. Actually, lets look at 5th-13th place in PPG allowed. 5 of those 9 teams don't break the top 15 of the total yards allowed ranking. Other than Atlanta, you have Miami who was #7 in PPG, but 21st in total yards allowed. NE, who was 9th in PPG and 25th in TYA, and the Giants, who finished 12th in PPG but was 31st in TYA.
You can also flip it and look at that in reverse. Of the top 15 teams in TYA,  outside of the top 5, 6 of those 10 teams were not in the top 15 in PPG....and none of those 6 teams made the playoffs(SD, NYJ, CAR, ARI, DET, PHI).

Total yards allowed is a poor way of ranking defense that are not in the top 5, because to be honest, those top 5 teams will probably be very high most every defensive category. The same cant be said for the middle of the pack teams. 5-25.
nice point.  it didnt really turn out as as strong as i would have liked.  but the top 7 did match up...and the lions&jets both were top 5 in offensive turnovers, so its hard to blame those defenses.  the chargers and panthers seem to be anomalies, but the others seem to fall in line pretty well.  eagles and cardinals...not sure about them.

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where would you rank the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in terms of their starting lineup? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools