Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs Retire 20, 40, 47 & 55? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#30 : May 09, 2013, 08:38:19 AM

Lynch probably will get into the hall actually.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 09, 2013, 08:46:12 AM

Only in Tampa Bay would a fullback-3Down RB hybrid be a fan favorite and have people talking about having his number retired ;P

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#32 : May 09, 2013, 08:49:14 AM

Retire jerseys, not numbers.  Can you imagine not being able to get a player to sign because he wants to wear #99?  Let them aspire to be as great as the original.

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#33 : May 09, 2013, 09:09:37 AM

You only retire numbers of guys who make it into the Hall of Fame. Otherwise you would run out of numbers rather quickly.
And even then, it shouldn't necessarily be a given.  I mean, look at the Packers.  They have five, count 'em five numbers retired.  It'd be six if Favre hadn't un-retired, but still.  It's just not practical to retire the number of every good player a team has.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#34 : May 09, 2013, 09:12:51 AM

No on 40 and 47.  They were great players and fan favorited but you have to be pretty selective when it comes to retiring numbers and they weren't st that level.

If a guy gets into the NFL Hall of Fame, which I think Lynch will next year (heck, he almost made it this year), then you have to retire his number.  I'm with you on Alstott.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#35 : May 09, 2013, 09:15:05 AM

No on 40 and 47.  They were great players and fan favorited but you have to be pretty selective when it comes to retiring numbers and they weren't st that level.

If a guy gets into the NFL Hall of Fame, which I think Lynch will next year (heck, he almost made it this year), then you have to retire his number.  I'm with you on Alstott.
There are a *lot* of players in the Hall who never had their numbers retired.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 09, 2013, 09:17:43 AM

It's my opinion... it doesn't have to be yours.  Suffice it to say, the main reason for that is because there are some teams that have so many that they can't possibly do it.  The Bucs obviously don't have that problem.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 09, 2013, 09:24:20 AM

It's my opinion... it doesn't have to be yours.  Suffice it to say, the main reason for that is because there are some teams that have so many that they can't possibly do it.  The Bucs obviously don't have that problem.
I would like to think that the players under discussion will not be the last potential HoFers that the team will ever have and that they eventually *will* have that problem.  Better to be proactive about it.  Seriously, if we retired 63, 99, 55, 20 and 47, we'd have as many numbers retired as the Packers.  Who have 22 players in the Hall.  And yes, this is all opinion.  Duh.

Oh, and to answer the original question, I think that maybe the team should retire 55.  Maaaaaaaybe.  And Brooks is my all-time favorite player.  And should be a stone-cold lock for the HoF.
: May 09, 2013, 09:27:52 AM acacius

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 09, 2013, 09:36:37 AM

Maybe if we only retire a number for a decade or two?
: May 09, 2013, 12:59:14 PM Lord Freesus

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 09, 2013, 09:41:56 AM

Simeon Rice said things he probably shouldn't have and this might be the price for it.

And for the people saying no to Alstott... WTF?

#retirenumber85

El Diablo

Starter

#40 : May 09, 2013, 10:01:09 AM

Blount ran for more yds in 13 games than alstott did in any season. I love alstott but cmon people. Plus he was a mediocre blocking fb and fumbled at the worst moments.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 09, 2013, 10:10:38 AM

#retirenumber85

#whydidwedraftnumber17

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 09, 2013, 10:54:27 AM

I say retire all of them. Big players in TB Buccaneers history.

JohnBuc06

Starter
#43 : May 09, 2013, 12:07:30 PM

ROH all of them ...I'm not sure of the retiring the # thing myself.  That should be reserved for the very select few.  Selmon is obvious, then Sapp and Brooks as they essentially were the foundation (players, not coaching/mgt) that changed the Buc's franchise.  I would put Lynch & Barber (and Nickerson) just below those 2, followed by Rice & Alstott.  So I guess I'm okay with retiring Sapp/Brooks but on the fence about the others.  If we retired Alstott then guys like Giles, Wilder, Gruber, Wood, etc should get consideration.

Cerious

Hall of Famer

#44 : May 09, 2013, 12:35:59 PM

I can see putting guys like Lynch, Alstott, Rice, etc in the ring of honor, but retiring numbers should be reserved for HOF'ers.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs Retire 20, 40, 47 & 55? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools