Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs Retire 20, 40, 47 & 55? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#75 : May 10, 2013, 08:18:12 AM

This is not a storied Franchise and it never will be. This is Tampa.

Pretty sh!tty attitude man.

Before 2001, who were the Patriots? They joined the NFL only 6 years before the Bucs and didn't do crap for 25 years! Now they are one of the most prestigious franchises in NFL history.

To assume the Bucs will never be considered one of the great franchises, is just horrible. Why even follow the team?
Tom and Bill are legends. 10 years from now, unless they maintain this success, they won't be held I'm the same revere as the Packers, 49ers, Steelers etc.

Look at the Dolphins. Undefeated team, Dan Marino, a lot of great players and teams. Not in the same breath. How about the Broncos, back to back Champs. Not I'm the same conversation. Maybe if we win 3 or 4 in a row, years from now we might get that consideration. But we'll still be a small market team that wasn't around when this all got started.

No bad attitude. Just understand how perception around the league works

The Dolphins have won two Super Bowls 40 YEARS AGO.Since then, Dan Marino is the only thing that has stopped them from being a complete joke. Why would they be looked at as anything other than that silly fish team in South Florida?

The Broncos, to me anyways, is a top franchise. I think they are and should be grouped with the best of the best. So I simply disagree with you there.

Look at the Ravens. They have been around for a very short time and they are a very storied franchise considered to be one of the best. So you don't have to be one of the originals.

We had a ten year run with defense in the top ten. We had some HoF players and a caraciture of a head coach in Gruden. Tony Dungy is a big part of NFL history. He and Monte made the Tampa Two one of the most used defenses in NFL history. We won a Super Bowl. We may have started off horribly as a franchise, but we can still raise our franchise up to be put in the best of the best category. If we get back to making the playoffs every year and win another Super Bowl, we'd be right there.
Except we wouldn't.

I agree that the Broncos are a very good franchise. But are they talked about they way Steelers, 49ers, Packers, Cowboys or even Colts are talked about? Absolutely not. Half of the history of the Ravens is that they're the team that got moved from Cleveland after Baltimore already had a great franchise taken away from them.

Yes, sure, like I said, we could win 3 or 4 rings in a row like San Fran or Pittsburgh or Dallas. But we won't. We can be a playoff team for a decade and we wouldn't be "right there". Look at the Eagles. Or The Bills.

The Franchises with mystique and legend have either won 3+ rings in quick, dominating fashion (49ers, Cowboys, Steelers) or they've been around since before the game was popular with All Time Greats in their history (Packers, Colts, even Browns) or some mixture of both.

We can and will win Championships in the future. But to sit here and say we will be held in the same air as The Steelers is far too optimistic. And somewhat hypocritical behavior for a guy who pouted for a week after the Glennon pick :P

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#76 : May 10, 2013, 10:30:29 AM

I think they should consider retiring Jersey number 52 in honor of Eric LeGrand.   This guy has been through a lot. 

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

X-RayCat57

Second String

#77 : May 10, 2013, 11:42:24 AM

I think they should consider retiring Jersey number 52 in honor of Eric LeGrand.   This guy has been through a lot. 

Ummm...No. I hope your not serious.

Sorry but his situation was a Rutgers deal. To retire his jersey would be just silly. Most people outside die hard bucs fans have no clue who he is.

\\\"Rock on London, Rock on Chicago! Taco bell, run for the border!\\\"

spartan

Hall of Famer
#78 : May 10, 2013, 12:22:49 PM

I have agreed with others that you should not retire shirts willy nilly, but after a little thought, Rhonde wore the #20 for 16 years. When is that going to happen again? I don't think anybody should don the #20 again.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#79 : May 10, 2013, 04:00:22 PM

Rhetire Rhonde's Jhersey.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#80 : May 10, 2013, 04:08:45 PM

Rhetire Rhonde's Jhersey.

That was rheally witty.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#81 : May 10, 2013, 04:24:42 PM

I asshume you mheant "whitty"...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#82 : May 10, 2013, 04:36:00 PM

Rhight on and Rhodger that.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
#83 : May 10, 2013, 04:55:18 PM

Hasnt Brooks number been unofficially been retired by Dom. I remember hearing/reading (although I could be wrong) that Foster asked for #55, and Dom told him to go make his own identity/legacy with his own number, and I feel like it came up again a year later and the same thing was said. It doesnt seem like hes going to let anyone touch #55, but my memory could be misleading me. That being said, I think 55, and 20 should definitely be added to the franchises retired list. 40/47 Im on the fence on, but probly only because Im a Bucs fan. A-Train was a beast for us, and a key cog, but I really dont know about retiring his number. JL was great for us in the backfield, always loved the dude, but Im not sure how many people outside of Bucs fans think of him as a Buc rather than a Bronco. I know he played the majority of his career here, but he was still productive in Denver for quite a few years. That muddies it a little bit in my opinion, And as others have said, if you start retiring too many numbers, there wont be any left for the current players to choose from.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

GatorBuc85

Pro Bowler

#84 : May 10, 2013, 08:10:34 PM

Absolutely yes to all!

-Chase

Our fans suck!

Hate

Hall of Famer
#85 : May 10, 2013, 09:00:25 PM

If a guy gets into the NFL Hall of Fame, which I think Lynch will next year (heck, he almost made it this year), then you have to retire his number.

You do??

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#86 : May 10, 2013, 09:07:03 PM

The retiring of numbers is an odd practice.  Just my .02.  And I wasn't aware of the # retirement rule TbayXXXVII is referencing - if he identifies that rule pm me pls.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#87 : May 10, 2013, 10:17:06 PM

As the franchise gets older you can't just keep retiring every Hall of Famer that you have. Eventually it will not mean as much.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. How easy do you think it is to make it into the Hall of Fame? And how many Hall of Famers do you think the Bucs are gonna get? If a Bucs player is elected to the HOF, you can bet your ass he deserves to have his number retired.

I'm talking about 50 years from now or even more. I'm going on the assumption that the Bucs and the NFL will be running indefinitely. We could have a lot of Hall of Famers by that point.

Just look at a team with a large history like the Packers. I've never heard of Arnie Herber, Willie Davis, Jim Ringo, and a bunch of their other HOFers from 50 years ago. On the other hand, I have heard of Don Hutson because there hasn't been a WR who has dominated as much as he did.

50 years from now, hardcore football fans will at least have heard the name Sapp and Brooks. Maybe they will know the name Barber, especially if he has a good post-football career. They will not know Lynch and they Alstott will definitely be a name lost in time.
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs Retire 20, 40, 47 & 55? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools