Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Goodell hopes Tebow is part of the NFL.. Belichick not his biggest fan « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 10, 2013, 12:03:40 AM

On Tim Tebow: 'I hope he's part of the NFL moving forward'

Wyche: Quickly, a Tim Tebow question: With all of the attention this guy gets -- be it good, bad or indifferent -- is it good to have Tim Tebow in the NFL?

Goodell: Well, he's a great young man. And I try to stay out of the decisions about who should be playing in the NFL and on what team. But as a young man, he's just a super young guy, and I sure hope he's part of the NFL going forward. He's just a terrific young man and represents all of the values that I think all of our players do. I'm very proud of our players. I think, as a group, they're extraordinary young men, and I love to see the things they're doing in the community. They're obviously great athletes on the field, but these are great young men, and Tim's a good example of that.

NFL.com

Report: Patriots coach Bill Belichick 'hates' Tim Tebow as a player

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

May 9, 2013 2:50 pm ET

You can scratch New England off the list of possible suitors for Tim Tebow. (USATSI) It's been 11 days and counting since the Jets cut ties with Tim Tebow and 13 months since they traded for him. Much of the conversation in the past week and a half has been about which teams -- if any -- would be interested in the former Heisman Trophy winner.

The usual suspects include Tebow's hometown Jacksonville Jaguars, but new general manager David Caldwell has said in no uncertain terms that Tebow isn't an option (laudatory commercials from local lawyers notwithstanding). The other, less conventional landing spot: New England.

Coach Bill Belichick sees value where other talent evaluators don't, and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was the man responsible for drafting Tebow in the first round when he was the Broncos' head coach. Plus, Belichick never met a reclamation project he didn't like, previously having success with Corey Dillon and Randy Moss (though less so with Albert Haynesworth and Chad Johnson). But unlike those players, Tebow never had off-field issues; it was strictly his on-field struggles that landed him on the bench and, ultimately, out of work.

And now, thanks to a report from Yahoo.com's Mike Silver, we know why the Patriots haven't shown interest in Tebow: They're not interested.

Specifically, Belichick "hates" Tebow as a player, an unnamed organizational source told Silver. Not only that, but the notion that Tom Brady would periodically come off the field for the Tebow dog and pony show a handful of times a game is, well, preposterous.

"No chance," Silver's source said. "Plus, they wouldn't like the circus that comes with it."

An NFC coach added: "He seems like a great guy to have on a team, and I'd be tempted to bring him in as our backup, but it's just not worth dealing with all the stuff that comes with it."

And that seems to be the consensus across the league: Whatever talents Tebow might bring to any team is outweighed by all the other stuff, most of which isn't Tebow's doing. So for now, he remains on the outside looking in, hoping for one more shot at NFL redemption. Except this time, it's not clear it'll come.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#1 : May 10, 2013, 05:40:16 PM

Tebow should be blaming his fans for this, if he didn't have such a cult following. I could see someone giving him a shot.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 10, 2013, 06:13:26 PM

God forbid (can I say that?) we should have cult followings in the NFL!

My logo is bigger than your logo

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 10, 2013, 06:22:49 PM

Excelleent point!

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 10, 2013, 06:30:33 PM

See...Goodell IS OK with gay football players.

Good for him.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 10, 2013, 07:03:50 PM

Tebow said he didn't want a position change. If that was any other player they would be in hot water with the NFL. The guy is a good person cool, but he's full of himself for not wanting to be a team player and switch positions. If Tebow really has belief in his abilities he would positions if asked.

ingey1968

Starter

#6 : May 10, 2013, 07:05:05 PM

Good for him.

Of course he is, he has always been kind to Freeman.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 10, 2013, 08:27:03 PM

Excelleent point!
True.  One has to think that if he were actually a good (NFL) player, teams wouldn't have such a problem with the whole cult following thing.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 10, 2013, 09:38:41 PM

Good for him.

Of course he is, he has always been kind to Freeman.

Can't argue that. I mean, he did it to himself the minute he dressed up like MJ.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

ingey1968

Starter

#9 : May 10, 2013, 09:53:43 PM

Its amazing how one guy who alot people view as not very good merits so much attention every season. Not sure if its because of him openly being religious, his cult following or the fact he is white. if i had to wager, i think its a combination of the 3.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Goodell hopes Tebow is part of the NFL.. Belichick not his biggest fan « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools