Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SR's FAB 5 - 5-10: BARBER, BANKS, MEANS AND MORE « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#15 : May 11, 2013, 08:14:56 PM

Scott in regards to Steven Means. You have access to film that we don't, and to be honest I'm often skeptical on your D-Line evaluations. You always seem to break out the sack, tackle stat lines, but you never give us pressures or how often they were double teamed. Without those numbers, there is no way of really knowing how much a D-Lineman affected a game.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 11, 2013, 08:24:34 PM

Regarding Ronde getting to the HOF, which I think he should, the voters need to consider this aspect:
     Traditionally, HOF CB's are highly skilled man-to-man cover corners, and highly athletic. The problem many of us have with that limitation is it no longer accurately defines a good CB, as the game itself, with many rules changes, has been evolving for decades. There was a period of steady growth of Zone defensive schemes, which greatly helped stave off opposing passing attacks. With more recent rules changes to "free up" receivers and create a more exciting game, plus a plethora of really strong-armed QBs, the passing game is now dominating the NFL landscape as never before.
      Enter Ronde Barber, the defender for all seasons. The NFL had not seen the schemes of Defensive guru Monte Kiffin, and Kiffin's schemes grew as Barber's skill level grew. Ronde became 1/3 CB, 1/3 S, and 1/3 LB. Over his career he literally created a new, very successful, hybrid defensive position. He was a key defender against the run, the 2nd leading DB tackler in NFL history. He covered WRs, RBs, and TEs, filching many a pass, and he blitzed QBs as part of the pass D, and as part of Kiffins' run D, recording many TFLs. 
      It would be a shame if the NFL doesn't recognize this evolution of it's own game and fails to reward this extraordinary player. An absolute shame...

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 11, 2013, 08:27:43 PM

Two pretty decent UDFA's...  is it just me or does it seem like we are finding more or better talent coming from college?

LOL, you've been on Pewter Report long enough, you should know better than to be optimistic about long shots! Open the floodgates!

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 11, 2013, 09:11:29 PM

Shame on me for having hope for these young guys...  :)

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 11, 2013, 09:21:43 PM

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 11, 2013, 10:02:17 PM

There are plenty of HOFers who were UDFAs... Scouts aren't omniscent; some of these young guys develop beyond all the scouts' expectations...

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 11, 2013, 10:17:03 PM

Yeah, Donald Penn!

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SR's FAB 5 - 5-10: BARBER, BANKS, MEANS AND MORE « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools