Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks vs. Eric Wright ...1 of the Position battles to watch this summer « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#30 : May 11, 2013, 07:23:53 PM

Wright is no #1. But I'll take him as a 3rd or 4th CB all day. Revis, Banks, LJ, Wright, Gaitor. In that order.

I would be perfectly fine with that order.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#31 : May 11, 2013, 08:42:01 PM

Wright is no #1. But I'll take him as a 3rd or 4th CB all day. Revis, Banks, LJ, Wright, Gaitor. In that order.

I would be perfectly fine with that order.
My order would be Revis, Banks, Wright, LJ, and Melvin.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#32 : May 11, 2013, 10:25:16 PM

If Banks can't beat out Eric Wright for the #2 CB spot, then he wasn't worth a 2nd round pick. Wright has never been very good. He wasn't for the Browns, he wasn't for the Lions, and he certainly wasn't for the Bucs last year. I'm not even convinced Wright is better than Leonard Johnson.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#33 : May 11, 2013, 10:44:21 PM

As they mentioned, its not a either/or competition.  We could see them both on the field along with Revis, quite often.

Agreed.... all this amounts to is who gets their name called during pregame intros as both will see plenty of playing time.

Is it August yet??

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#34 : May 11, 2013, 10:59:09 PM

Did you games played with those stats? Bcuz I think I watched LJ get worked way more than I seen Wright. Maybe it was just me.

They are PFF stats , so plenty of games have been played with them. They are notoriously inaccurate and subjective.

Nothing like a stat nerd attributing blame for failed coverage on a play when he has no clue what the coverage assignments were. These clowns need to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

Oh. Sorry Dol. Some random guy on a message board (you) knows more about football than a guy that gets paid (presumably) to watch tape? Alright.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#35 : May 12, 2013, 08:34:35 AM

Did you games played with those stats? Bcuz I think I watched LJ get worked way more than I seen Wright. Maybe it was just me.

They are PFF stats , so plenty of games have been played with them. They are notoriously inaccurate and subjective.

Nothing like a stat nerd attributing blame for failed coverage on a play when he has no clue what the coverage assignments were. These clowns need to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

Oh. Sorry Dol. Some random guy on a message board (you) knows more about football than a guy that gets paid (presumably) to watch tape? Alright.

That's just it . No one at PFF is a real scout with a background in football and formerly employed to evaluate film on a professional level  . They are hacks just like you and  me .

Worse , because at least I played football at the high school level . These guys are just stat geeks trying to plug immeasurable real-time game situations into a math equation. It's a joke , and I think that's been born out by anyone who's really analyzed their results over the long haul . They are considered a sham by most REAL NFL scouts .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#36 : May 12, 2013, 09:14:39 AM

PFF had a help wanted ad out for average nubs with no credentials to watch hours of film for them and then create a report.....so PFF is a joke. So tired of people using them for arguments sake. Bunch of computer nerds that try to make everything into an equation and know nothing about football. It's a joke.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 12, 2013, 09:38:36 AM

PFF had a help wanted ad out for average nubs with no credentials to watch hours of film for them and then create a report.....so PFF is a joke. So tired of people using them for arguments sake. Bunch of computer nerds that try to make everything into an equation and know nothing about football. It's a joke.

Amen . Glad to see we can agree on something , lol.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#38 : May 12, 2013, 09:40:01 AM

If Banks can't beat out Eric Wright for the #2 CB spot, then he wasn't worth a 2nd round pick. Wright has never been very good. He wasn't for the Browns, he wasn't for the Lions, and he certainly wasn't for the Bucs last year. I'm not even convinced Wright is better than Leonard Johnson.
this

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#39 : May 12, 2013, 09:47:10 AM

That's just it . No one at PFF is a real scout with a background in football and formerly employed to evaluate film on a professional level  . They are hacks just like you and  me .

Worse , because at least I played football at the high school level . These guys are just stat geeks trying to plug immeasurable real-time game situations into a math equation. It's a joke , and I think that's been born out by anyone who's really analyzed their results over the long haul . They are considered a sham by most REAL NFL scouts .
major league baseball ignored Bill James and his sabermetrics for years but it was proven to work by those brave enough to embrace it. 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 12, 2013, 10:02:59 AM

Baseball is not the same as Football.  Things like how often a guy gets on base (OBP) or Walks/Hits per Innings Pitched ( Whip ) are solid variables you can plug into a math equation and measure.

Plugging what you THINK was a blown coverage or a "QB pressure" into a math equation doesn't work because you can only measure it with opinions ( opinions of geeks who never played the game ) , and therefore it is subject to major descrepancies.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#41 : May 12, 2013, 11:16:04 AM

Baseball is not the same as Football.  Things like how often a guy gets on base (OBP) or Walks/Hits per Innings Pitched ( Whip ) are solid variables you can plug into a math equation and measure.

Plugging what you THINK was a blown coverage or a "QB pressure" into a math equation doesn't work because you can only measure it with opinions ( opinions of geeks who never played the game ) , and therefore it is subject to major descrepancies.
So, they rejected your job application Dolorous? ::) ;)

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 12, 2013, 11:18:14 AM

Pathetic Fake Football.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks vs. Eric Wright ...1 of the Position battles to watch this summer « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools