Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jets rookie Geno Smith could debut vs. Bucs, Darrelle Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 17, 2013, 12:00:10 AM »

Jets rookie Geno Smith could debut vs. Bucs, Darrelle Revis

Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer 

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:36am

AP photo
Geno Smith, a second-round draft pick out of West Virginia, looks to pass during the Jets' rookie minicamp earlier this month in Florham Park, N.J.

The Bucs’ regular-season opener could be notable for more than just the return of Darrelle Revis to the Meadowlands.

The week’s overarching theme, with former Jet Revis set to take on his old mates on Sept. 8, might also be combined with another interesting subplot: The debut of Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith.

The reported decision by Jets veteran quarterback David Garrard to retire on Wednesday has left the Jets without many good options, especially with the team seemingly bent on replacing incumbent starter Mark Sanchez.

Garrard was, perhaps, the best option for the short term. He was atop the Dolphins’ depth chart in the 2012 preseason when he suffered the knee injury that now is forcing him to step away from the game entirely. He reportedly said the knee is not responding well to workouts and won’t allow him to continue playing.

With Garrard out of the picture, the Jets are much more likely to turn to second-round draft pick Smith, the former West Virginia star. Sanchez committed 26 turnovers last season and it’s widely believed he would have been cut if not for the substantial financial guarantees in his contract.

If Smith does indeed get the nod, the Bucs, on paper, would have a favorable matchup, pitting a rookie passer against a revamped secondary that now includes Revis and star safety Dashon Goldson.

The Jets also have two other quarterbacks on their roster – Greg McElroy and Matt Simms – but neither is considered a strong contender for the No. 1 job.

TBChucky

Pro Bowler
« #1 : May 17, 2013, 04:06:28 AM »

Should be an interesting game. Luckily, I can't see Revis going all Keyshawn about this one. Remember that Wayne Chrebet (sp?) crap?

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 17, 2013, 08:11:06 AM »

The way rookie QBs have played lately think I'd rather face Sanchez..

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #3 : May 17, 2013, 08:19:32 AM »

No way. Rookie QB in his first game going up against Revis/Barron/Gholston/Banks/Wright? I can see Geno having to face adversity, getting frustrated and crumbling. And I really hope the DL smacks him around. AC and DaQuan hit with ferocity. I'm really excited to see AC smashing people again.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 17, 2013, 08:48:27 AM »

This is a pick 6 waiting to happen.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
« #5 : May 17, 2013, 09:14:21 AM »

Geno relied heavily on his awesome receivers to bail him out. He would have been ok if he had gone to a team that's established with talent, but he's going to be a complete mess if he starts this year with the Jets. If they want him to be the QB for the future then the dumbest thing they could do is start him in game 1. At this point you can predict the Jets are going to be that dumb.

Sooo Banks on Holmes,  Revis on Hill?  Maybe I should pick up and start ivory game 1 in my ppr league. He may be the only person open.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #6 : May 17, 2013, 09:16:13 AM »

If the Bucs lose to the Jets, it will be a long season. A very long season.

Jets defense will be challenging, but their offense is putrid. No excuse to not win this early game in Ny, rain or shine. Got to beat the JETS by two scores. At least.

moose40

Hall of Famer
« #7 : May 17, 2013, 09:20:58 AM »

If the Bucs lose to the Jets, it will be a long season. A very long season.

Jets defense will be challenging, but their offense is putrid. No excuse to not win this early game in Ny, rain or shine. Got to beat the JETS by two scores. At least.

If the Bucs lose to the Jets, with Geno starting, the start Glennon chants will begin quickly.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #8 : May 17, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »

Immediately.

Jets sucks.

moose40

Hall of Famer
« #9 : May 17, 2013, 09:24:59 AM »

Immediately.

Jets sucks.

Well then, let's hope Revis, Bowers and A.C. are all healthy, and plant Geno in the ground all day

I want NFL films to videotape Geno Smith on the sidelines crying like Mikey Vick did (for Atlanta) when the Bucs kicked his ass.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #10 : May 17, 2013, 09:42:59 AM »

Yut.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #11 : May 17, 2013, 09:56:34 AM »

This is a pick 6 waiting to happen.

Multiple...   regardless if it's Smith or Sanchez.   :)

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #12 : May 17, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »

Sooo Banks on Holmes,  Revis on Hill?
I think I'd flip that

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #13 : May 17, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »

Holmes is 5'11". Hill is 6'4". Kerley is 5'9".

Revis on Holmes
Banks on Hill
Wright on Kerley
LJ and Gaitor on others.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #14 : May 17, 2013, 11:14:45 AM »

Huh?

I'm confused how the success of guys like RGIII, Luck or Wilson last year in any way, shape or form changes anything about Geno Smith?

If he starts, we dominate, hell if he doesn't start we dominate. I just don't see a way the Jet's beat us week 1 unless Freeman throws about 5 picks in which 2 go to the house.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jets rookie Geno Smith could debut vs. Bucs, Darrelle Revis « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools