Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman says relationship with Schiano is great « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 18, 2013, 12:01:30 AM »

Freeman says relationship with Schiano is great

by Gil Arcia

May 17, 2013

Many believe that there is some kind of a discord between Bucs quarterback Josh Freeman and head coach Greg Schiano. Back in early March, Freeman’s agent Erik Burkhardt told TheBayCave.com that the Bucs are huge believers in his client and shot down the speculation of there being a disconnect between the team and Freeman.

Today, as a guest on “The Sports Page” with Rick Stroud and Tom Jones on 620WDAE/95.3FM, Freeman may have also shot down any rumors of a rift between he and the coach.

I spent quite a bit of time in coach Schiano’s office, hung with him around the facility, just getting to know him better talking about aspirations, what we’re trying to do with this team and the direction. I feel that my relationship with coach Schiano is probably best out of any coach. I’ve gotten to know him extremely well.

When reports first surfaced about the possible disconnect, it was only a matter of time that the national media would pick up on it and turn it into a much talked about debate. Then, when the Buccaneers selected Mike Glennon in round three of the draft, it immediately turned into a quarterback controversy.

Schiano has said some words that have raised eyebrows but nothing that directly pins him to disliking his starting quarterback. Besides, if he is truly saying things behind Josh Freeman’s back, that goes against everything Schiano has tried to sell since day one: Trust, belief, and accountability.

http://www.thebaycave.com/2013/05/17/freeman-says-relationship-with-schiano-is-great/

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 18, 2013, 01:17:45 AM »

But...but...conspiracies are so much more fun.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 18, 2013, 02:30:10 AM »

Its not a personal thing.   Freeman just needs to produce or he is going to lose his job.  Everyone knows that.

Schiano and Freeman don't need to be BFF's.

Most of Cutler's coaches couldn't stand the guy, but he produces.  So he keeps getting paid.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #3 : May 18, 2013, 10:09:27 AM »

Its not a personal thing.   Freeman just needs to produce or he is going to lose his job.  Everyone knows that.

Most of Cutler's coaches couldn't stand the guy, but he produces.  So he keeps getting paid.

Although I would take Cutler over Freeman in a heartbeat...I wouldn't necessarily say that he has produced all that much.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
« #4 : May 18, 2013, 10:16:45 AM »

I think Schiano deserves just as much blame for Freeman's poor games last year. "Run the ball and throw down field." Sounds great, but when teams are able to shut down your run and have CBs who can run with Jackson and Williams downfield what are the options? That is exactly what happened in Dallas, against Philly, and in New Orleans. Even Atlanta did a decent job of that, especially in the first game. This team needs at least somewhat of an intermediate passing game to take the next step offensively. Now Freeman needs to do a much better job on those throws, but at this point we have no players that we know for certain can work the middle outside of Jackson who we also expect to be the downfield threat. To me that is the biggest question mark for this team going into 2013, even more than D-Line, and if the team fails because of it Freeman is going to get all the blame even if he ends up without any legitimate weapons in the short to intermediate passing game or a scheme that accounts for it.
« : May 18, 2013, 10:20:48 AM BucsBay »

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 18, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »

Mostly irrelevant based on media speculation.   

Freeman has no excuses this season.   He is in the perfect situation and will succeed.

Cutler over Freeman?   Not a fan of Cutler. 

Related article -qb ranking

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000200131/article/ranking-the-nfl-quarterbacks

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

ingey1968

Starter

« #6 : May 18, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »

Cutler is such a **CENSORED**.  for his current level of productivity, i wouldnt take him.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #7 : May 18, 2013, 01:34:38 PM »

Jay Cutler is better than Freeman, but I still wouldn't take him. Cutler is a punk.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #8 : May 18, 2013, 02:00:28 PM »

It's all too familiar...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19649805/schiano-legarrette-blounts-problems-behind-us-josh-freeman-to-take-a-step

Hoist the Battleflag

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : May 18, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »

Although I would take Cutler over Freeman in a heartbeat...I wouldn't necessarily say that he has produced all that much.

Semantics.

Produced....... as in, he is still in the league.

Not........ produced as in he was won 7 Super Bowls.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #10 : May 18, 2013, 10:38:14 PM »

Cutler and Freeman's talent is about the same. The major difference is their character.

Freeman is quiet and wacky (MJ photo shoot, hair style, etc) whereas Cutler is a big mouth and a wannabe leader.

I'd much rather have freeman on my team than culter any day. Not even close to an argument.

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

« #11 : May 19, 2013, 08:54:25 AM »

I'm not surprised they are having a relationship.   There had to be some reason Schiano still starts Freeman.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #12 : May 19, 2013, 09:52:25 AM »

An old topic, but everything I've heard is Josh is very receptive to coaching, which is step #1 in a coach/player relationship. With the acquisition of a legit competitor to Josh in Mike Glennon,
it will be interesting to see how Josh reacts if/when he has a brain fart day and Schiano decides to sit him for Glennon. I actully think Josh understands Schiano wants to win and would roll with whatever Schiano's decisions are...

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #13 : May 19, 2013, 09:55:41 AM »

Mike Glennon - QB - Buccaneers

Coach Greg Schiano believes third-round pick Mike Glennon was the best quarterback in the draft, and is "not against" him beating out Josh Freeman for the Bucs' starting job.
"It’s not like we’re looking to find a starter," Schiano claimed after his latest message to Freeman. "But competition is competition. Mike Glennon is a fierce competitor." Schiano also compared Glennon to Joe Flacco, and believes he has "pocket presence, ability to feel the rush and move in the pocket." With so much invested in being competitive this season, Freeman is still the favorite for the Bucs' starting job, but they've made it clear time and again that the job will not be handed to him going into the final year of his rookie contract. The cannon-armed Glennon is an intriguing Dynasty-league prospect.
Related: Josh Freeman
Source: National Football Post

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-5760.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
« : May 19, 2013, 09:57:58 AM CalicoJack55 »

Hoist the Battleflag

gone

Hall of Famer
« #14 : May 19, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »

An old topic, but everything I've heard is Josh is very receptive to coaching, which is step #1 in a coach/player relationship. With the acquisition of a legit competitor to Josh in Mike Glennon,
it will be interesting to see how Josh reacts if/when he has a brain fart day and Schiano decides to sit him for Glennon. I actully think Josh understands Schiano wants to win and would roll with whatever Schiano's decisions are...

Being willing and being able are two completely different things.  I think one of the prime reasons we saw the Glennon pick, is that Josh is not growing. 

Take a look at his career.  After his rookie half-season, he got his sea legs under him, got acclimated to the speed of the game and all that.  And then he flatlined.  He is exactly the same QB he was at the start of his 2010 season.  He hasn't improved in any area at all.  He's had pro coaching for four years already.  If he was ever going to learn to read a defense he would have done so by now.  If he was ever going to learn to go through his progressions, he'd have done so.  So whatever his willingness to take coaching, I doubt his ability to do so.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Freeman says relationship with Schiano is great « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools