Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs seek answers as workouts near « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#45 : May 20, 2013, 03:08:28 PM

NT doesn't sound very important

Well that is what everyone keeps saying, but then why do other 4-3 teams draft DTs in the early rounds year after year even when they have starters? I mean the Lions had Suh and still drafted Nick Fairley early. The Bills had Kyle Williams and Terrell Troupe but still drafted Marcel Darius top 5. Seems to me when you run a 4-3, no matter what your philosophy or scheme is...it comes down to your front four getting pressure by them selves. So to me you need studs at all four spots and you need good depth. I don't think we have either of those things, so it will be interesting to see what happens this season.

Draft Aaron Donald

nitey

Hall of Famer
#46 : May 20, 2013, 04:17:47 PM

Importance is relative. IMO, every starting position is important, but when you have 11 positions, and you have to put them in order one has to be first and one has to be last. In our scheme, NT is less important than some other positions, but probably isn't the last position of importance on the defensive field. Also, the order probably changes play by play. In today's NFL you can't have a star at every position, but that doesn't mean that you don't try to get one when you can. Spence was apparently more important than the two backup DE positions we drafted and a couple of years ago we used a #2 pick on that position so I think it IS important. Also, the draft helps dictate how the picks are used. Glennon may have been the only QB the Bucs were interested in, had he been off the board, the Bucs may well have picked the DT in the 3rd round.

I think Spence will be fine.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#47 : May 20, 2013, 08:08:42 PM

We have better DTs than the Giants Superbowl winning team. Gibson filled in nice for Schiano's  scheme when Miller was out. Spencer will start but be in a rotation. Gholston is the 3rd DT come August. 
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs seek answers as workouts near « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools