Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs RB Jeff Demps.."As far as right now, everything is just about me and track” « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #45 : May 23, 2013, 02:30:14 PM »

"When Demps concludes track season this August, he’ll need to put on weight fast, which means eating more and heavier lifting. He’ll aim for 190-195. That’s a significant, but necessary jump."

Who gives a **CENSORED** if he is not in training camp?? I don't. Guy is a kick returner/3rd down back. He is a big play waiting to happen. If he can help the team win what's the problem?
Wouldn't he have to know and practice a few things to be a 3rd down back?

Well you would ease him into the game plan. Shouldn't be to difficult to give him a few plays a game from the rip.
He will miss the entire offseason pretty much.  It's substantially harder to ease anyone in while the season begins.  Also as you quoted, the kid has to add 15 to 20 lbs after he is done with track.  That wont happen in a week or two.

And again, is this track thing a recurring situation?  Will we ever have him for an offseason so he could actually improve with the team?  If next season we have to deal with the same stuff then he's not worth it because he wont actually be improving as a player and teammate.  All he will be is fast and while speed is great, it's not everything.  You can't just go half-in when dealing with the NFL.  You are either in or out and he appears to be out.

I don't care if it takes until October or November. Even though I disagree that it would be hard to give him a few touches a game from the get go. Let him return kicks for the first couple games then. The dude is electric when he touches the ball and is making peanuts.

BigSombrero1

Rookie

« #46 : May 23, 2013, 02:32:43 PM »

I don't care if it takes until October or November. Let him return kicks for the first couple games. The dude is electric when he touches the ball and is making peanuts.
He WAS electric in college when he played football.  Not sure if he's any good at all at the pro level.   It isn't a good sign when the team that had him before put him on IR after his first game back.  You usually don't IR a player that is that "electric".

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #47 : May 23, 2013, 02:41:17 PM »

I don't care if it takes until October or November. Let him return kicks for the first couple games. The dude is electric when he touches the ball and is making peanuts.
He WAS electric in college when he played football.  Not sure if he's any good at all at the pro level.   It isn't a good sign when the team that had him before put him on IR after his first game back.  You usually don't IR a player that is that "electric".

The Patriots have the luxury of stashing people on IR, when you are a good team you can do that. 

BigSombrero1

Rookie

« #48 : May 23, 2013, 02:47:55 PM »

The Patriots have the luxury of stashing people on IR, when you are a good team you can do that.
He could be good but again, there isn't any proof of that.  Plus missing offseason after offseason won't improve your football ability.  More than likely he's not anywhere as good of a football player as he was in college.  He hasn't practiced with a team, he hasn't improved his game, and while he's in great shape, he's not in football shape.  Everyday he misses he essentially gets worse because everyone else is improving.  And who exactly was New England's return man last season?   Whoever it was didn't exactly light it up.
« : May 23, 2013, 02:51:24 PM BigSombrero1 »

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #49 : May 23, 2013, 03:00:41 PM »

He could be good but again, there isn't any proof of that.  Plus missing offseason after offseason won't improve your football ability.  More than likely he's not anywhere as good of a football player as he was in college. 

You could say that with any rookie player coming into the league also, that's essentially what he is.  I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Think some are overthing it on Demps, he's not a guy that is going to get 15 carries a game.  If he plays he will get a few touches a game and return kicks.  If he falls on his face then see ya, but a guy with his ability and potential you give the chance. Especially when you have Michael Smith slotted as your KR. 

BigSombrero1

Rookie

« #50 : May 23, 2013, 03:46:07 PM »

You could say that with any rookie player coming into the league also, that's essentially what he is.  I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Think some are overthing it on Demps, he's not a guy that is going to get 15 carries a game.  If he plays he will get a few touches a game and return kicks.  If he falls on his face then see ya, but a guy with his ability and potential you give the chance. Especially when you have Michael Smith slotted as your KR.
Well I agree that he might be worth a shot this season if we have an available roster spot for him but if he is going to miss every offseason in the future then there is no point of him being on the team.  We can find another KR that can actually be productive somewhere else on the field.  I also agree with you that he is essentially a rookie but thats not a good thing.  He's essentially a rookie because he hasn't had any substantial practice time on an nfl team since he's been in the league.  By the time he comes back he will be behind rookies drafted this season and if he does the same thing next year he will be behind 2014 rookies and so on and so forth.  He's basically in a situation that until he finishes track for good, he will be no better than he was in college and he will be completely useless to a team outside of KR.  Its just a waste of a spot in my opinion.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #51 : May 23, 2013, 03:48:36 PM »

We add players every season that didn't go through OTAs.

Dominik specialized in acquiring talented players who were bad fits for his coaches. - FootballOutsiders

BigSombrero1

Rookie

« #52 : May 23, 2013, 03:50:18 PM »

True and how many of them bring any substantial production to our team?

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #53 : May 23, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »

I think some of you would be surprised at the amount of money he can make in track.  He may even be taking a cut to play football.
simply not true
Exactly... Who would sponser him and pay big time dough to never be seen on the winners podium? He would make more money at the bottom end of a NFL roster.

Did you miss the part where he won his event in Puerto Rico this past weekend?
Beating who? Anybody of note?

Dexter Lee came in 3rd.  He's got a nice haul of gold for Jamaica.

Dexter Lee is no more accomplished than Jeff Demps if he is even that good.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #54 : May 23, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »

or they went through some other team's OTA or have NFL experience. 

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #55 : May 23, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »

thats because they didnt play for the Gators baby!

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #56 : May 23, 2013, 03:56:57 PM »

I think some of you would be surprised at the amount of money he can make in track.  He may even be taking a cut to play football.
simply not true

Track salaries are low.  Appearance money and sponsor money can pile up.  Demps was recently rated in the top 10, so he'll get his... and if he's a two sport guy, those moneys go way up.

Sponsorship

Sponsorship is a major source of income for professional track runners. At the bottom end of the scale, runners may simply receive kit or shoes from a sponsor. If they show promise, they may receive cash awards, which grow progressively larger with success. The website Inside Higher Ed reported that one female track runner who qualified for the Olympic Games was only able to secure $10,000 in sponsorship compared to top female runners who were able to command $150,000 to $200,000.

Performance

Track runners can earn additional income by achieving victory in a competition or breaking records. Inside Higher Ed reported that the award for winning the women's long jump at the 2005 IAAF World Championships was $60,000. The Diamond League is a series of track meetings that take place over the summer season. News agency Reuters reported that the promoters' statement of prize money for the 2010 series was $6.6 million, plus more in promotional fees

Read more: The Average Salary of a Professional Track Runner | eHow http://www.ehow.com/info_8611456_average-salary-professional-track-runner.html#ixzz2U7scOLU8

youre missing where his role on the Olympic team is as an alternate. He's not even a top 4 guy in his own country, let alone the world. There's not much marketability there.

So lets say he gets 2x as much as the woman at 20,000. And let's say he wins 3 events (unlikely considering his past performances). He's still making half the money he would being on an NFL roster during the season.

Demps is sponsored by Nike so he gets some money there. He gets appearance fees during the European season plus whatever winnings he may get at meets. My guess is that he may get close to his NFL salary but he also may not care all that much.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #57 : May 23, 2013, 03:58:12 PM »

OK; Demps is reportedly 5'7" 175 for track.
      This guy carved out a pretty nice career with the Bucs....  http://bucpower.com/warrick-dunn.html  .... at about 5'8" 180...
      Demps doesn't absolutely HAVE to get up anywhere near 195; that's just what he did in college as a cog in their offense. In the NFL I don't think anyone expects him to be more than a "specialty package" player, most likely 3rd downs...

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #58 : May 23, 2013, 03:59:35 PM »

You'll never get it if you don't add in that race sponsors pay to be able to put words like "Silver Medalist" and "United States" to their promo... and the shoe sponsors... and the drink sponsors...
except Demps isn't the guy to do that. He has one medal to his name and it's from a race that he didnt even run in.

That's not how appearance fees work. It is much more involved than the individual competing. I mentioned he runs for Nike. At a given meet maybe a meet organizer wants Doc Patton and Mike Rodgers to run. Well...Nike says ok...it'll cost this for these two guys and this much for Ryan Bailey and Jeff Demps.....otherwise you don't get Mike Rodgers and Doc Patton.

tmac87

Starter
« #59 : May 23, 2013, 04:01:59 PM »

Here's to hoping he remains lightning fast, but just slow enough that running track is no longer a viable alternative. *Sips haterade*

Lets f&#(!^ do this Lovie!
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs RB Jeff Demps.."As far as right now, everything is just about me and track” « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools