Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs RB Jeff Demps.."As far as right now, everything is just about me and track” « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #60 : May 23, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »

How will he "get there"? track is one sport where it doesn't matter how hard and long you train, if you can't intially beat someone you never will unless there an injury. How long has Tyson Gay been trying to beat Usain Bolt? I think he beat him once and that's when Bolt was injured... Every other time he got SMOKED.

...and Tyson Gay doesn't get paid?
Tyson gets paid... Jeff Demps is no Tyson Gay. He's the best sprinter in America and the Jamaicans have 4 guys that could beat in him wearing flip flops.... So where does that put Jeff Demps?

Tyson Gay is the third best sprinter in the world behind Blake and Bolt.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

BigSombrero1

Rookie

« #61 : May 23, 2013, 04:16:50 PM »

Hey I don't care if the guy is a Gator or a Seminole or a Sooner as long as he can play.  My basic issue though, and I feel the Demps proponents are missing it, is that if he continues this track career in the future he will never improve as an NFL player.  The offseason is when teams and players make their biggest strides.  Once the games begin, the focus is on next weeks opponents, not learning your role on the team or learning the playbook or meshing with your teammates.  Demps isn't getting any of that.  It's not a good idea to have a roster spot taken up by a guy that can only return kicks, with the frequency of injuries, you need a guy that can contribute somewhere else.  By missing offseasons, Demps can't be anything but a returner.  And no one even knows how good he will be in that role on an NFL level.  Speed is good but it isn't everything.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #62 : May 23, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »

Well, if they're worried as much as that... they can get him a playbook.  Track athletes seem to have plenty of time to read.  His conditioning isn't going to suffer by missing OTAs.  Training camp conditioning won't be there, but they can get him a few weeks when he does report.  It's not hard to find a roster spot for him.  Just look at Michael Smith's participation chart.  Or Myron Cody Grimm's...

Hoist the Battleflag

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #63 : May 23, 2013, 06:32:14 PM »

I don't care if it takes until October or November. Let him return kicks for the first couple games. The dude is electric when he touches the ball and is making peanuts.
He WAS electric in college when he played football.  Not sure if he's any good at all at the pro level.   It isn't a good sign when the team that had him before put him on IR after his first game back.  You usually don't IR a player that is that "electric".

The Patriots have the luxury of stashing people on IR, when you are a good team you can do that.

Is your point that the Bucs can't put Demps on the PS?   

Cause that will happen...   I would almost certain of it. 

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

BigSombrero1

Rookie

« #64 : May 23, 2013, 06:35:54 PM »

No I think he was trying to say that the patriots are so good, they can place good players on IR for no reason.  I think its an erroneous point but I think thats what he was going for.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #65 : May 23, 2013, 06:40:40 PM »

why even waste time thinking about Demps?  i have seen several articles/links highlighting his commitment to track. Is there even one for football?

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #66 : May 23, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »

I don't care if it takes until October or November. Let him return kicks for the first couple games. The dude is electric when he touches the ball and is making peanuts.
He WAS electric in college when he played football.  Not sure if he's any good at all at the pro level.   It isn't a good sign when the team that had him before put him on IR after his first game back.  You usually don't IR a player that is that "electric".

The Patriots have the luxury of stashing people on IR, when you are a good team you can do that.

My point was the injury was not significant and they basically redshirted him by putting him on IR.  He would have been snatched up off their PS pretty quick by somebody.

As far BigSombrero's point about offseasons and improving and what not.... The guy is not a QB, he won't even be a starting RB. It's not like it's going to take him 3 years to develop into a good KR, he's going to have a slow start while he gets into football shape thats the big downside to Demps barring that he just sucks on the NFL level.  Demps at this point is little risk and huge reward.
« : May 23, 2013, 06:57:06 PM XFactor »

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #67 : May 23, 2013, 08:40:08 PM »

why even waste time thinking about Demps?  i have seen several articles/links highlighting his commitment to track. Is there even one for football?

Agree.   I don't think he gives a rats azz about football.  The guy loves to run.  He loves it, so much so,  that he can turn his nose up about the millions he could potentially make in the NFL.

I respect him for that, its not always about the money.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

ingey1968

Starter

« #68 : May 23, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »

The guy is actually smart. not really playing football at all yet still drawing a salary

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #69 : May 23, 2013, 08:55:22 PM »

The guy is actually smart. not really playing football at all yet still drawing a salary

I don't think he can do both  IMO.

He said himself, to get ready for football he would have to pack on 20lbs.  Then if he goes back to track, take 20 lbs off again?

He needs to pick one sport, and be the best he can be at it.  And from reading that article, he has already made that decision.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #70 : May 23, 2013, 09:08:46 PM »

He wants both...

http://musketfire.com/2013/04/25/new-england-patriots-news-jeff-demps-to-get-chance-from-other-teams/

Hoist the Battleflag

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #71 : May 23, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »

He wants both...

http://musketfire.com/2013/04/25/new-england-patriots-news-jeff-demps-to-get-chance-from-other-teams/

I know he has said as much.  I am just sayin,  he would be better off picking one or the other.  Good athlete, faster than hell.  But he is not Bo Jackson.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
  Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs RB Jeff Demps.."As far as right now, everything is just about me and track” « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools