Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Freeman NOT a self motivator? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#30 : May 24, 2013, 10:17:48 PM

All I know is, the pattern is there.

Free hasn't demonstrated an ability to change his game.

His body?  Who cares. He didn't exactly float like a butterfly and run like a raptor out there.

He chucked it deep to stud Vince, and to his beast sidekick MW19.

But his overall issues are still there. He ain't working on changin it. If he is he is lettin it all fly out the window come 1pm Sundays.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 24, 2013, 10:18:22 PM

Boid, I think he'd have been fine. Besides his well publicized motivational stuff, he was also a smart strategist, listened to his vets' suggested plays during the game. Disciplined, but not blindly stubborn. Once defenses slowed down his Power sweep, he realized he needed to go to the air more, and did... Heck, Starr's infamous QB sneak to win the Packers 3rd straight NFL championship was NOT the play Lombardi called...

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#32 : May 24, 2013, 10:21:57 PM

Yep, Freeman needs to more than anything play SMART this year, ALL THE TIME. Or he'll find himself holding the clipboard for Glennon... Missing a pass here and there happens to every QB, but a pattern of poor decisions ain't gonna be tolerated much longer...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#33 : May 24, 2013, 10:22:25 PM

Good rebuttal.

In a way, I see Lombardi as one of the motivational coaches who stressed mental willingness, and preached about toughness. All the "rah rah" stuff that truly motivated players.

S is similar in his approach to mental and physical toughness.

But can he gameplay?  Strategy and an ability to thumb through the rule book instantly when the game is live is vital?  Can he gameplan and scheme?  S has never been known for his strategy. But his teams are always fit and buy into a team first concept.

Mean D

Pro Bowler

#34 : May 25, 2013, 01:48:07 AM

Freeman is probably already organizing his excuses for this year.

ingey1968

Starter

#35 : May 25, 2013, 07:16:40 AM

If not, All he has to do is visit this forum. There are a few to choose from

Freeman is probably already organizing his excuses for this year.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#36 : May 25, 2013, 11:38:16 AM

If not, All he has to do is visit this forum. There are a few to choose from

LOTS!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#37 : May 25, 2013, 12:18:34 PM

I don't think he has a lack of motivation when it's something he's interested in.   For example, when he wanted to look like his hero - Michael Jackson - he was able to lose a lot of weight.    Unfortunately he doesn't have that same passion for football.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 25, 2013, 02:04:20 PM

I think Free made a few more touch throws than yall give him credit for.

Having said that, this is his break or make year. We can all agree on that.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 25, 2013, 02:38:43 PM

One of Lombardi's favorite quotes was "Fatigue makes cowards of us all". What he meant was when someone is physically or mentally drained ("fatigued"), their MIND will make a thousand excuses as to why they "need" to take a break, drop their concentration, and MENTALLY give up ("cowardice") trying to do their job. We are all prone to this, so his thinking was to get his guys in the best possible aerobic condition for every game, keeping GAME fatigue at a minimum. The Packer linemen were mostly smaller weight-wise than most of their opponents. They could ALL run sideline to sideline, and did. Lombardi actually "invented" zone-blocking, where O'linemen did way more running than on most teams...
     My impression is Schiano's forte is getting young players ready physically and mentally for the NFL life. ABOVE ALL a long-term HC MUST be a great leader. It's not necessary for him to be a better strategist than Sean Payton or any of the other offensive/defensive gurus wearing the HC title. Great HCs in the NFL absolutely need to be great delegators, and hire assistants who can handle the details of Offense and Defense, and STs. Of course they'll have (and should) have input, but need to hire ACs they trust and let them do their jobs. Time will tell if Schiano can balance all that; Lombardi did, Shula did, Landry; many others...
     JMO, but Schiano seems to be of the same mindset as Lombardi was, and Lombardi HATED mental mistakes, errors of judgement, and would not tolerate them. I think Schiano shares that trait, and that means his QB, the leader of the offense, can't be brain-farting in live games... Bart Starr was one of the outstanding leaders in NFL history, and Lombardi very much brought that out of him...

: May 25, 2013, 02:46:53 PM NotDeadYet

ingey1968

Starter

#40 : May 26, 2013, 05:32:15 PM

First of all, You just grouped a 2nd year HC with mount rushmore of NFL head coaches. Then to even mention Bart Starr and Freeman in the same post is a crime against humanity.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 26, 2013, 06:09:15 PM

Can't wait to see the amount of fail in this thread when Free takes Tampa to the playoffs.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 26, 2013, 06:16:37 PM

Can't wait to see the amount of fail in this thread when Free takes Tampa to the playoffs.
You mean when the stud talent around him gets him there...

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#43 : May 26, 2013, 06:17:14 PM

If that happens, it won't be this thread only. There's been new threads about Freeman on this board almost every day of the off-season. And usually, they consist of the same people bashing Freeman. I don't know why people continue to post in the Freeman threads that Michael posts. This discussion has been beaten to death months ago.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#44 : May 26, 2013, 06:47:57 PM

You mean when the stud talent around him gets him there...

message board two-step. that is exactly what Free bashers would use as a fallback

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Freeman NOT a self motivator? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools